Extra battery for extra mileage

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Extra battery for extra mileage

Postby funkykeyboard » 13 Mar 2020, 12:56

I want to go for a walk in the countryside so wanted to be able to backup my already existing batteries, which will only go about 9 mile anyway, with an extra battery, which will only give me a couple of miles safety leeway. So my questions are this;

1. Can I just plug one battery in providing 12 V to augment the power in the 2 batteries on board, or do I need two batteries wired in (series of parallel?) To provide 24 V plugged in to the side as in the picture below.

2. Will this work? Is it okay just to plug one battery or 2 batteries into the charging connector on the side of my wheelchair, and then this will provide extra backup power?

In order to connect those metal bits to the cable properly I need to solder them. With this gauge of cable and that size of connector, what size soldering iron will I need, solder, flux?

Any advice appreciated, Tremulous Tetra. :-)
funkykeyboard

Re: Extra battery for extra mileage

Postby rickystyx » 13 Mar 2020, 13:29

you would need two batteries in series - better to be looking at the add on lithium pack as putting that much lead on as extra will increase the weight and alter centre of gravity of the chair.
I don't think it is value for money or sensible to try to add lead batteries anyway when a small lifepo4 add on will give you much better results
ottobock b400 150Ah lifepo4
Swiss-trac manual chair add on with 30Ah Lifepo4 (want more 15Ah headway cells )
Meyra Optimus (PRIME)2 150Ah lifepo4 :0)
rickystyx

Re: Extra battery for extra mileage

Postby funkykeyboard » 13 Mar 2020, 13:36

rickystyx wrote:you would need two batteries in series - better to be looking at the add on lithium pack as putting that much lead on as extra will increase the weight and alter centre of gravity of the chair.
I don't think it is value for money or sensible to try to add lead batteries anyway when a small lifepo4 add on will give you much better results
thanks. I was in a bit of a rush as I wanted to go for this walk this month. So was just looking for a bit safety margin.

I will be doing lithium on my clone of the BM or my Lifestand wheelchair. Just trying to get a handle on the whole thing.

Anyway I will leave this issue here for now, and start again with the lithium. Thanks for your advice.
funkykeyboard

Return to Everything Powerchair