Caster Bearings

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Caster Bearings

Postby RichardM333 » 09 Jun 2020, 23:47

I'm repairing a used M41 Pronto. On the frame assembly base, I need to remove a pair of old 5/8" bearings in the caster stem and install a pair of new 5/8" bearings. What tool do I need to remove and install the bearings?
RichardM333

Re: Caster Bearings

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jun 2020, 00:03

:hammer

And a drift.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 16 Jun 2020, 03:01

Hammer and drift are the go-to tools for the job in most cases, but in a few you might need an internal or external puller depending on what it takes to get onto the bearing...

Make sure you have found and removed any snap-rings or other hardware that is retaining the bearings.

If at all possible, avoid driving the new bearings into place with a hammer or equivalent, use some sort of press or bolt and nut to avoid impact damage. The press should be pushing on the same race that is being pressed into place....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby bonniedogsdad » 25 Aug 2020, 09:53

How I just did mine- Invacare Storm X-plore.
Tools- 1/4" socket extension, large socket, small hammer 1 freezer.
Get chair in kitchen or as near to as possible, put new bearings in freezer over night or as long as possible, remove caster ang gently knock out the old bearing by lightly tapping the extension thats placed on top of the old bearing ring(s),
Place frozen, undersized by a thou or 2 new bearing in and it may well start to insert squarley int the turret, then G clamp or use a cie if you are lucky like to have a swinging arm that comes oof. Put the socket behind the bearing and clamp up untill no further movement.
Repeat for 2nd bearing.
Job done!
Terry.
bonniedogsdad

Return to Everything Powerchair