Advice

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Advice

Postby C5NUN » 07 Jul 2020, 12:35

Hi all, I am looking for some advice I recently purchased a Horizon Mayan scooter. I always wanted one as this can give me access to more rural walks in my area. One came up second hand and won at a good price on eBay. So off I drove from Durham to Plymouth to pick up! Nice 800 mile round trip!

Initially all was good and as described and compared to my old scooter this is a mountain goat, remember these are £10k plus new.

Now I have a problem, there seems to be a binding of some sort motor? brake? who knows. What happens is the scooter just stops the motor seems really hot to touch, if I wait 5 mins the scooter goes again. Don't know if its frying the brake or what. I am not using the scooter at the moment as I don't want to do any further damage.

My local scooter supplier/repairer wont touch it as Horizon will not supply parts to the trade ?????????

So what I am asking is there anyone who has experience of these for service/repair? I am based in County Durham.

I have emailed Horizon mobility and they cant even be bothered to reply, I bet if I emailed about the potential purchase of a new one they would be right back to me.

Thanks for ANY help or advice as I am becoming rather despondent...….

Peter
C5NUN

Re: Advice

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jul 2020, 13:24

This? http://www.horizonmobility.com/mayan-ac ... ooter.html

Its a brushless motor. It has a "brake" that isnt one. It just locks the motor and stops the scooter moving like a hand brake on a car. It releases once you start moving. It should only get applied again when you stop.

That lever in the picture does 2 things. One it RELEASES the brake. So the scooter will rol down a hill when parked. Or so you can push it. It also usually disconnects the brake from the controller and stops the scooter being driven.

The only way that what you describe can happen is if the brake is staying on, not releasing as you begin to move. So you need to find out. That will involve you inspecting it as its operated with wheels off the deck on the workbench. And then figuring out why and what may be wrong.

If you drove far with the brake on its already toast...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby C5NUN » 07 Jul 2020, 14:37

I think this is the earlier version with a 24v DC motor?

I have images but I am unsure on how to upload

Thanks for you reply

Peter
C5NUN

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jul 2020, 15:58

Same applies.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 07 Jul 2020, 16:56

Jack the scooter up under the diff and try turning each wheel , both wheels should rotate fairly freely with a bit of drag being caused by the gears in the diff.

Check that the lever attached to the parking brake on the back of the motor is pushed FULLY into engagement.

Finally if the problem hasn't been diagnosed or resolved by the above.....REMOVE the electric parking brake from the back of the motor ... but do not electrically disconnect it ....and find some way to hang it up out of the way ... then road test , remembering that you no longer have a parking brake..
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby C5NUN » 07 Jul 2020, 17:19

Thanks for your kind advice

Peter
C5NUN

Postby shirley_hkg » 08 Jul 2020, 00:34

While chair jacked up, run the motor for some time to see if it heated up. Take the amp being drawn at wheels off, if you can, to see any drag .
shirley_hkg

Return to Everything Powerchair