For what it's worth-LUCI Smart Wheelchair Technology

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

For what it's worth-LUCI Smart Wheelchair Technology

Postby F3Head » 20 Jul 2020, 20:52

LUCI Smart Wheelchair Technology

Pretty wild add-on technology, it might help someone lurking around here.

https://luci.com/?utm_source=google&utm ... GkQAvD_BwE

LUCI adds smart technology to your existing power wheelchair for stability, security, and connectivity.
LUCI’s goal is not autonomy, it’s independence.…

LUCI gives power wheelchair riders unparalleled stability, security and connectivity through cloud-connected software and hardware mounted between the seat and wheels of their current chair.

F3HEAD
F3Head

Re: For what it's worth-LUCI Smart Wheelchair Technology

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jul 2020, 21:11

Cant see a single thing it would do for me. But many things it does I go out of my way to avoid! But everyone isnt me. But I dont get it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 20 Jul 2020, 21:24

Don't get why users would want their chairs connected to the cloud for??? Plus it's more additional drain on already underpowered Lead bricks. Those "experts" have no clue! :roll: hanged :fencing

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jul 2020, 21:28

What are the features of LUCI?

Our company began with the question: How can we make power wheelchairs safer for Katherine and her friends? We thought about the features we wanted our loved ones to have. And, ultimately, we ended up creating LUCI, which adds several never-before-seen capabilities to power chairs, including:

Collision Avoidance: LUCI is designed to empower wheelchair riders to navigate their daily lives without fear of running into things like walls, furniture, humans or pets. It does this in a unique way, smoothly increasing and decreasing the speed of the chair based on the surroundings, in coordination with user steering inputs. Don’t think of it as emergency braking; it’s enhanced mobility through your world.

I have never hit a thing, while driving daily like I stole it in 23 years. The very last thing I want is something thinking it knows better! And slowing or taking over. You may want that. Really? Everone isnt me.

Drop-off Protection: Even a small drop-off can flip a large wheelchair. LUCI helps riders avoid tipping by first recognizing steps and drop-offs, then smoothly bringing the wheelchair to a stop, if necessary, before they drive over a drop-off that could be unsafe. Of course, every LUCI comes with an override button – just in case you’re being chased by dinosaurs, maybe – but we don’t expect you’ll need it often.

I dont need it ever. I decide, on the fly, what I can jump off, drive over, etc based on surfaces, angles, if the ground is soft, hard or grippy. And I often do things at speed BECAUSE that inertia or angle is required to prevent a catastrophe! I dont want something thinking it knows better. I know it certainly doesent! Again, everyone isnt me.

Anti-tipping Alert System: There are a lot of bad ramps in the world. LUCI monitors the slope riders are driving on and provides an audible alert if the ground or ramp is becoming a tipping danger. In the event that a chair tips over, LUCI sounds an alarm for help and can be configured to automatically alert specific loved ones with what happened and where.

I do that by eye, and by feel. If I think its too steep and the chair may tip back (rear drive) then I do it at high speed and deccelerate as I climb the ramp to stop it tipping. And on shallow ramps I frequently wheelie up on purpose. How is this thing going to decide for me? I do not want anything interfering with my choices. I know better! But everyone isnt me. But still this is rediculous. Or am I wrong?

Cloud-based Communications and Alerts: Life with a disability is a team sport, and LUCI helps connect riders and their team. The MyLuci portal (accessible via iOS app, Android App, or the myluci.com web portal) allows you to view your data and share it selectively with loved ones, clinicians or other members of your team. LUCI can be configured to alert others of specific events, such as your location if your battery gets dangerously low. And, because LUCI connects your wheelchair to the modern world, you can even ask Alexa and Google Assistant about MyLuci data like battery percentage, charging status and more.
Secure Health Monitoring: LUCI is built to help wheelchair riders manage their health. This includes allowing riders and team members to create and share custom seating programs. LUCI sends encrypted data securely to each user’s HIPAA-secure MyLuci portal.

Team sport??? :clap Cloud? I dont even want a smart phone. My battery doesent get that low because I fixed the problem instead. And I dont need a retarded alexa or google assistant to miss-advise me on chargers or batteries! Or anything else.

Seriously, I just dont get it. If you cant make these sort of basic choices and assess what the chair or you are capable of then this is going to get you into much more trouble!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 20 Jul 2020, 21:43

That sounds a recipe for disaster! If I got any chair with that on, it would come straight off and in the bin! Or on eBay. Sounds like a lot of complex unneeded stuff for very little gain.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jul 2020, 22:03

But someone must want it. It must be useful to someone. I cant figure out who.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 21 Jul 2020, 01:01

I agree with BM and the other posters that don't see a need for it THEMSELVES, but I could certainly see a class of users that would benefit from it....

I see it as somewhat analogous to the anti-tip system that Lenny was building for Rachi's chair a few years ago, in that it provides a sort of backup protection against operator errors...

The description is relatively clear that they are targeting what could be considered 'sketchy' users - little kids that haven't figured out that stairs are bad yet, or those with vision problems that might not be able to see a drop off... Or those with serious spasticity issues that might have problems with reliable joystick operation, etc...

They don't mention autonomy specifically but I could imagine a version of this that might be able to automatically navigate around the users home...

The notion of being connected to the "cloud" (There is NO CLOUD, just other people's computers!) sets off all my paranoia alarms, not to mention connecting to Google-spy and such, but it might take more computer power to run such a system than is practical to put on a chair, so I can even see that as better than not having mobility otherwise...

So Bottom Line, I don't see it as very useful for those of us that are already driving chairs independently, but it might be an option to allow users that would not be SAFE with their own joystick (or equivalent) to get some level of independent mobility....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair