WAV lift options

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

WAV lift options

Postby Bob Hepple » 03 Jun 2023, 12:49

Need to change my vehicle which is a Vw Caravelle. And now looking at V class merc, I use a side lift from auto adapt was looking at under floor lifts I think AMF is the manufacturer https://www.amf-bruns-mobility.com/prod ... stems/k90/

I hear a lot of negative comments on these can anyone recommend a internal lift preferable one that doesn’t rattle been a while since I looked for anything so hopefully something new has arrived that I have not seen
Bob Hepple

Re: WAV lift options

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jun 2023, 23:54

I dont think anything better has arrived. Whats wrong with the underfloor lift? Theres thousands in use across the world.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Bob Hepple » 04 Jun 2023, 10:43

I like the idea but AMF lift I have been told the electrics are not totally sealed agains the weather and the floor clearance after installation can cause problems with speed ramps bottoming out the van.. I like auto lift F6. But finding a installer is proving difficult.The F6 can be installed without moving the petrol tank or replacing the exhaust which I think you have to with the AMF..
Bob Hepple

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jun 2023, 10:49

Well in a caravelle you have to do tank and exaust anyway because if the conversion is any good then the floor must be lowered anyway. Only GM collarado has a decent floor drop. The other VWs coverted are needing special lower chairs etc.

This s why I just ordered a US left hand drive miivan.They are 10 inch floor drop, auto kneel etc.

No lift, but ramp.

https://www.rollxvans.com/wheelchair-va ... price=all#
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Bob Hepple » 04 Jun 2023, 11:17

Thanks for the link will have a look, in my existing VW I have an internal side lift (auto lift) no exhaust change and the floor is std height.. Ill have a look at your link..
Bob Hepple

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jun 2023, 17:06

Drive from wheelchair. Electronic tie down. Drive in, and go.

https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/ramp.mp4
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jun 2023, 18:01

A bit confused how you use a wheelchair without a lowered floor?

LOok carefully here. I fitted a new protective carpet. So shows the insides. Lots of space, any stock wheelchair, just drive in, 58 inches headroom, and stay in the chair. Takes a few seconds and you are locked in and driving.

https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... f=3&t=7835

Click on pics. The US minivan conversions are the cheapest and best options. Left hand drive but so what? Cant say I ever noticed after the first day.

This one was bought in 2006. Making it 17 years old. Still looks and smels like new inside and out! From my Front Door cam...
This thing still looks new and was 30K 17 years ago delivered inc all taxes and registration, shipping etc.
Attachments
VAN.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby 700R » 06 Jun 2023, 16:23

I've had 2 vans with AMF K90 underfloor lifts and have only had 1 issue which was a broken drive wheel. That said, they use Alfa Tail lifts to carry out repairs so you don't have to wait long as they have vans out all over the country daily. My current lift is now 5 years old and works and looks like the day it was installed. I operate it via my phone, doing away with the need for carrying more stuff and it works flawlessly. My exhaust was modified but the fuel tank remained in position.

I recently put a friend on to Tom and Max at AMF who I believe had a K70 fitted to his Caravelle and nothing underneath was moved. The K70 is the slimmer version.

I've never had an issue with my electrics nor have I ever grounded it.

Personally I would rather walk than have an internal lift fitted which I have experience of many years ago. The noise and look of one is enough to dismiss out of hand when there are excellent underfloor lifts available.
700R

Postby 700R » 06 Jun 2023, 16:26

Burgerman wrote:A bit confused how you use a wheelchair without a lowered floor?

Simple. Not everybody wants or needs to drive from their chair. Any amount of physio is worth it for me to transfer across from my chair into the driver's seat.
700R

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jun 2023, 18:34

But you cant get in. Ceiling too low. Chair too high. Or if you can its an only just thing. And higher chairs like the salsa with headrest etc are problematic.

Plus its more of a fight to transfer. I used to do that. But its too slow. And helps give me more damage and sores. One day you might find the same.

T6.
A. Max. entrance headroom (mm/”)
1260/49.5
B. Max. interior headroom (mm/”)
1320/52

Not enough.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby 700R » 06 Jun 2023, 19:36

Burgerman wrote:But you cant get in. Ceiling too low. Chair too high. Or if you can its an only just thing. And higher chairs like the salsa with headrest etc are problematic.

Plus its more of a fight to transfer. I used to do that. But its too slow. And helps give me more damage and sores. One day you might find the same.

T6.
A. Max. entrance headroom (mm/”)
1260/49.5
B. Max. interior headroom (mm/”)
1320/52

Not enough.

I'm 6'6" tall and get in. The chair locks to the floor electronically and I jump across. I can also sit as a passenger when full of ale - I simply tilt the chair back slightly and it gives me the headroom necessary. No fight to transfer, just healthy working of what I have to use. I can transfer very swiftly and be at the steering wheel not much slower than someone just jumping in and driving off. The change of seating helps. In 40 years I haven't had a pressure sore because I move about. Unlike yourself with a lot more weight and sitting in the same seat all the time, I haven't spent a minute in bed. One day you'll get it.
700R

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jun 2023, 23:22

I did the same for 10 years with a non lowered floor caravelle. And then a sore. One day the same may happen to you. But a fully lowered floor vehicle, especially a drive from wheelchair setup is just easier and allows proper pressure cushions etc to be used as you are still in your chair. But its obviously your choice. I wouldnt ever go back to any non lowered floor vehicle now.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby 700R » 07 Jun 2023, 11:35

Burgerman wrote:I did the same for 10 years with a non lowered floor caravelle. And then a sore. One day the same may happen to you. But a fully lowered floor vehicle, especially a drive from wheelchair setup is just easier and allows proper pressure cushions etc to be used as you are still in your chair. But it's obviously your choice. I wouldnt ever go back to any non lowered floor vehicle now.

Though you can't argue with facts, BM. You're a paraplegic too which is incredibly unusual for someone to be so sedate. Me, I need to move, transfer without hoists for my own self discipline and it's clearly paid dividends over the years compared to you if bedrest and sores are the measure. When and if my time comes to drive from my chair of course I will require a lowered floor, until then I shall continue to use what I have and keep as fit as I can for as long as I can.
700R

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jun 2023, 12:10

You're a paraplegic too which is incredibly unusual for someone to be so sedate.

Thats the easy part. I have other problems as well as paraplegia that are much more of an issue to me.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's