Mitigating ramp problems.

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Mitigating ramp problems.

Postby slomobile » 30 Oct 2023, 23:05

A friend recently bought a Braun Ability Town and Country ramp van for his wife with her first rehab chair. It is their first WAV. They have previously used scooters in the boot.

She liked it on the test drive, but now is terrified going down or up the ramp after bumping into the edge a few times and feeling out of control.

I'll help them get her chair tuned better, more responsive. But can you think of anything that might ease her fear of the ramp?

I suggested maybe a winch in the van to pull her straight up, and lower her down with the motors disengaged. But that will become a hassle quick.

They are looking into possibly trading the new vehicle for a lift version, but that would be a huge financial loss.
slomobile

Re: Mitigating ramp problems.

Postby Burgerman » 31 Oct 2023, 02:12

I'll help them get her chair tuned better, more responsive. But can you think of anything that might ease her fear of the ramp?

IF the chair just intuitively went exactly where and when you tell it with no delay or overshoot then going in and out of the van wouldnt be scary. It would just be he same as walking or using a pen.

To do this on any normal powerchair you simply set all the walls to off/100 or whatever first.
Then set turn acceleration, turn deceleration, and ESPECIALLY minimum turn acceleration and minimum turn deceleration all to max or 100. Then reduce the TURN SPEED and MINIMUM turn speed, to whatever gives really easy controlled turns that she likes.
It is then possible (now you have some linear accurate control) to set and tweak torque (only affects 0 to 0.1mph) and load compensation for even more accurate joystick following. Then its all so much EASIER. You no longer even think about the ramp as it just goes exactly where you think.

This needs OEM access and no gyro.

Then the thing will go exactly where and when she tells it in a totally intuitive way that she will no longer fear on the ramp.
And this is why OEM access is a pre requisite when buying any chair for me. Because the difference is not small. Its totally night and day. As anyone that has ever tested this will testify. I have NEVER hit the edge of a van ramp in the 16 years I have used one. I have felt it touch and just steered a couple of mm away from the edge. Cant do that? Its not programed properly! And theres only 1 inch each side to spare with my wider rims/tyres. Because it goes exactly where its told. Easily. Intuitively. To the mm. No delays, no over response, no problem. ANY chair can do this. If programmed properly.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jan 2024, 03:17

Did you set it up this way? It should be just as easy and accurate as the scooter.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jan 2024, 03:17

Did you set it up this way? It should be just as easy and accurate as the scooter.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's