MWC and adapted van use

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

MWC and adapted van use

Postby blueeyedboys » 04 Sep 2011, 11:44

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone using the bakk flip and lokk out system for MWC use for driving from MWC? Also does anyone know of company/engineer that has developed the system to allow able body family member to drive the van rather than me.... ie.. no seat if I not dirivng van from my WC. :? :idea:
Thanks all.
B
blueeyedboys

Re: MWC and adapted van use

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 04 Sep 2011, 22:01

Motabilty currently has a Mercedes minibus demonstrator which has a retractable seat in it.

It appears this allows for drive from your own chair, (the installed chair retracts), transfer from your own chair internally to the installed seat, which is on rails, or conventional driver.

I'll try to find out who does this conversion. It does not appear in the usual conversion lists.

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Re: MWC and adapted van use

Postby ex-Gooserider » 05 Sep 2011, 02:25

I would love to see some sort of temporary "jump seat" that could be deployed into the drivers space of any "drive from the chair" vehicle... Doesn't necessarily have to be all that comfortable, and while it would be nice, I don't even see a need for it to meet the full highway "crash standards".

I can think of several use cases where such a seat would be useful:

- asking an AB to move the van a few feet so as to clear the ramp when some @&&hole has parked blocking it...
- "Valet parking" (There are places it's pretty much required...)
- Having a mechanic test drive the vehicle to observe a problem... (Or just move the vehicle in and out of the service bays)

I'm thinking something along the lines of a folding chair with some sort of extra leg or equivalent that would fit into the lock-down device for anchoring. It would need at least a low back to make it reliable to step on the brakes w/o moving backwards, but not a lot more than that...

(I'm assuming that the vehicle would have the ability to swap the passenger seat to the drivers position for longer term / highway driving, this is just a way of doing a "quick and dirty" seat for very short term use...)

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

WAV suppliers

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 05 Sep 2011, 09:07

For a list of UK companies who offer WAVs and like adaptations, and links to their websites, see:

http://www.mobility-centres.org.uk/New% ... Access.htm

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's