Best SMALL drive from wheelchair car

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Best SMALL drive from wheelchair car

Postby Burgerman » 15 Jun 2012, 13:17

Small drive from wheelchair cars are generally horrible. This is exceptional. And all sirus stuff has a factory finish as good as the original car.

I would seriously look at one of these. Might give them a call.

http://www.sirusautomotive.co.uk/our-pr ... can-model/

Have a look, watch the video.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Best SMALL drive from wheelchair car

Postby Ashley G » 15 Jun 2012, 15:10

Burgerman wrote:
I would seriously look at one of these. Might give them a call.

Nooooo ! Don't do it ! The steering wheel is on the wrong side for you brother !

Think of the bloodshed ! Think of poor Arnie getting confused !

Regards

Ashley

Ashley G

Postby Burgerman » 15 Jun 2012, 16:37

Dont much care which side it is. I honestly never understood all the fuss about that.

When I got my van, LHD on a RHD country, I can honestly say it took about 3 or 4 miles before it felt completely normal and safe. After a week it wasnt as if I ever even noticed it any more. I did notice that mine was 30k delivered with hand controls, tie down, etc and a bigger motor, better trim, and the UK version was 58k -- some 28k more expensive though...

My ex gf used to pretend to be steering on motorways. And would suddenly "swerve" to the right as a car or truck passed. You should see the reaction of the car passing! Not clever I know. Very funny though.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 15 Jun 2012, 18:24

I was thinking exactly the same BM. I'd like to look at the VW>

My 2005 Dodge Entervan 3.8 averages 19 mpg and never seems to cost less then £400 every 6 months for a service (Not Chrysler). I'm getting to the point where it just cost too much to go anywhere these days and I only do 8k annually.

Steve
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 15 Jun 2012, 19:17

Well the small van may be too small for my use, but I will take a look. They will bring one to you to look at if you ask. I called.

And will be at the uk mobility show in a week... MOBILITY ROADSHOW 2012

I may go take a look. 35k with top spec everything. 30 for £££...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 15 Jun 2012, 19:54

I'm interested in having a demo but I need LH drive as my left side is weaker and the door supports me on right hand turns and roundabouts. Can't think of an alternative to LHD can you?
segreen

Postby dotyj » 15 Jun 2012, 20:30

That's pretty small.

I like the looks though and the fuel economy.

I don't expect we'll ever see one in the US though.
dotyj

Postby Ashley G » 15 Jun 2012, 23:27

Burgerman wrote:
My ex gf used to pretend to be steering on motorways. And would suddenly "swerve" to the right as a car or truck passed. You should see the reaction of the car passing! Not clever I know. Very funny though.

ROFL. Do you remember we had something like that on TV a while back ? I'm blessed if I can remember now whether it was part of a comedy show or an advert or what but, Lordy Lordy, it was hilarious.

Regards

Ashley

Ashley G

Postby dotyj » 16 Jun 2012, 01:53

dotyj

Postby Burgerman » 16 Jun 2012, 03:10

Didnt realise it was common/famous! Thats what she was doing. But without the added wheel. Works great with any lhd car. You just need to pretend you have a wheel.

That's pretty small.

I like the looks though and the fuel economy.

I don't expect we'll ever see one in the US though.

Why not? You have the small VW cars like golf etc?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 16 Jun 2012, 05:29

I've also heard of people playing "evil driver" mindgames with the "chariot" sidecar rigs - works especially well with the hacks that have a high front that hides the chairside bars, and that leaves the OEM bars in place... Even fun without a passenger...

In terms of small cars, we have some, and they are getting more popular, but nothing like the range of choices that you have in the UK / EU - both in terms of models and brands - many of the EU brands are either not available in the US, or are rare/expensive...

Essentially right now, there are tons of people doing minivans and full-size vans (the latter mostly for commercial passenger transport) a couple doing pickup trucks, and one or two that do the Honda Element (which is smaller but not much better on gas than the minivans...)

Mary-Anne just got a Nissan Cube, which looks like it might be a nice car to convert, but nobody seems to be doing it. Same with some of the other small form-factor Asian imports like the Scion XB and the Kia Soul, etc...

However realistically, for most of us, the only real option is a minivan. When I was told I could get help from Mass. Rehab, I was given a list of "approved dealers" that they would let me use - far as I know NONE of them offered anything but minivans...

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Postby 440roadrunner » 16 Jun 2012, 17:07

Years ago, a then friend of mine, in our small town in N Idaho state REMOVED HIS STEERING WHEEL, and replaced it with a pair of "Vise Grip" pliers, so that they pointed "down" as the car was "straight ahead"

He'd drive down the road, making like the wheel pulled off, and show it out the window

After he NEARLY caused a couple of wrecks, and I refused to ride with him, he finally gave that up. HE thought it was hilarious
440roadrunner

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's