Driving from wheelchair

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Driving from wheelchair

Postby Foz » 03 Jul 2010, 13:03

What is the furthest anyone has driven with hand controls? Does fatigue play a big part? Currently I think i have driven about 110 miles on my own with joystick steering etc...but hopin to build upto 300 miles or so
Foz

Re: Driving from wheelchair

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jul 2010, 13:12

When I pick up or take my now x girlfriend to the airport (heathrow) its about 440 miles round trip. The actual driving is easy. The problems and worries I have are of leakage! Condom, and illeostomy... Unlikely day to day. But if thats going to happen sods law says it will be when I am many hours from home!

And sitting still for hours on end is more likely to cause pressure problems on my backside?

The most I did in one day since being paralised and with hand controls is about 650.

On fast 2 wheelers, before accident, I have gone from grimsby to dover, (245 miles) and then after the ferry, all the way to southern spain in one go. Thats about 1400 miles approx. And in a T shirt and jeans! And doing up to 160 to 170 mph where we could get away with it on autoroutes. And straight into a bar at the other end...

How things have changed!

Back to hand controls. Cruise control is essential! As is air con... Keeps you relaxed and makes it so easy.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Foz » 04 Jul 2010, 10:53

you sound like you use to be a biker who was undertaking cars on the motorway with their bare back showing!
why heathrow? is there not a nearer airport?
Do you shoot your images in RAW or JPeg?
Foz

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jul 2010, 13:21

Undertaking? Definitely. When theres a cage in the wrong lane you have to do it...

Bare back? Yep. Used leathers only on the drag strip. Scrutineers insist. And thin motocros gloves for better "feel" and control.

I was a hooligan. I used to love wheelies too. And stoppies. Could go through the gearbox up to 4th usually, and overtake cars while slowing from silly speeds on the fron wheel... Right up until it all went wrong after about 20 years of riding fast bikes including 300bhp turbo and nitrous bikes like a loony. You think its not going to happen to you. But the law of averages wins in the end!

I do both. I use the JPG when all is well. And the raw file when I need to because the exposure is high/low or dynamic range too great etc. Othewise I delete the raws.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 09 Jul 2010, 19:03

I drive to Torrevieja in Spain from Bolton (1600 miles) over 2 1/2 days, Dodge Grand Caravan with Braun Entervan conversion. As Burgerman says cruise control essential and on the quiet French and Spanish motorways its a breeze!
segreen

Postby Foz » 06 Sep 2010, 16:41

yeah cruise control is essential...............when you can press the f......g buttons! :D
have you ever been to the swedish restaraunt in Torrevieja?..............think it was called Stefans. Best thing there.
In my opinion.
Foz

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's