L plates hand control

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

L plates hand control

Postby mous3 » 10 Jan 2015, 02:39

I have given in to the fact that I need to learn to use hand controls, I have had an assessment and one 30mins session
In this time We established that i need to stear with my right hand and i can't use a ring accelerator/brake, but can use a thumb finger throttle.
I can brake with either foot as I don't need to ride the peddle all the time.
My van will be a manual transmition and the instructor instead their was no way I could drive it with the required combination off adaptions.
Currently I have a electronic duck clutch and electric hand brake ( this allows my seat to turn for transfers without flowing the original in the farm land rover) my car is just an automatic

So I'm after advice on learning and making sure I get the right adaptions please
mous3

Re: L plates hand control

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jan 2015, 03:06

I had trouble following some of that.

Why manual transmission? Seems like a lot of extra problems. Auto is cooler anyway...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby mous3 » 10 Jan 2015, 11:42

Because the Transit jumbo has no option for automatic.
mous3

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jan 2015, 11:49

It has to be one of those?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ICEUK » 10 Jan 2015, 15:00

R you self funding your vehicle? Go to a wheelchair drive from, so much easier... if you can.
ICEUK

Postby mous3 » 10 Jan 2015, 20:43

I am self funding my van I need to retain the drivers seat because i don't drive myself a lot of the time atm. I have a 7' long hand bike to cart about in the back very big puppy and trips to from Ireland on a regular basis. I will just camp in the van whilst we are over their training. And slowly turn it in to a custom camper
It's got the ramp at the side already. And i have a portable ramp for the back.
I can not use a docking system to drive from because my current chair folds and the ones i am looking at don't have the ground clearance to spair.

I can get a grant towards my controls like we did for the land rover.
mous3

Postby mous3 » 10 Jan 2015, 20:45

I like the Transit cos it has the lowest floor in its class to usable payload.
mous3

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jan 2015, 20:23

Well if there really isn't an alternative and it has to be that van I would get it converted to an auto box. If you cannot/don't know how, find a custom car builder to do it for you. Because it will make an impractical thing workable.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby mous3 » 11 Jan 2015, 22:03

Thanks a little advice from the Transit owners club is that I can go auto if and when i replace the engine by fitting a Jaguar engine and gear box lots of offers to fit it for free if I do. I can fit throttle hold cruise control for abot 100 pounds which would allow me to drive with my feet longer until the engine needs changed. The landrover just failed It's mot no big surprise so I will enquiry if the duck clutch can be moved over to the van
mous3

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jan 2015, 01:37

Crazy. There are LOADS of fords with auto boxes. Including a lot of big V8 ones in the US.

It has to be easy to find/fit an auto from a ford. I used to do this stuff for fun. A jag swap will be endlessly problematic. I have done a few cross brand swaps!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby mous3 » 13 Jan 2015, 21:34

Well after more enquiring I can go to a LPG, petrol automatic Ford engine fitted apparently the JAG engine is a cooperationwith Ford but has a few uprated parts not that i need to worry about that for a good number of years
mous3

Postby greybeard » 14 Jan 2015, 00:57

I thought Jag is owned by Ford. Or was. Certain my mates Jag, which is a few years old admittedly, was based on the Mondeo floor pan etc.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 14 Jan 2015, 02:39

There are real jags and there are fords with jag badges on them.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby mous3 » 15 Jan 2015, 22:54

Well i have had another lesson his time with an under ring accelerator and it was easy, it was just a different type to the assessment centers cars.
mous3

Postby lambchops83 » 13 Apr 2016, 13:49

I have been driving with hand controls for over seven years now both vehicles I have owned needed to be fully automatic gear box's if not auto, hands control will not work a year ago I purchased a V W transporter short wheelbase 2.5 diesel with a power lift on the back this conversion was done professionally by Lewis Reed this set up I find is just what I wanted as it gave me total independence as the transfer drivers seat swivels around from my driving position then goes back to ten cm to my power chair one push with my remote control allows the rear doors to open and my lift goes out the back doors of my van on the same level I have a small mirror on my nearside to showing me where my power chairs wheels are going onto the lift then out I go then I press another button on my control box and down I go to the ground I then proceed off the ramp push another button and the lift goes up and folds away then the two back doors closes tight then the back of the van locks tightly as whilst you are doing this from your power chair inside the van apart from the rear everything is locked this stops anybody from entering the vehicle whilst unloading this set up has been thought out very professionally when it was first done. regards lambchops83
lambchops83

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's