Review of Backpacker Plus power chair lift

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Review of Backpacker Plus power chair lift

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 06 Feb 2015, 18:49

I got the Pride Mobility Backpacker Plus wheelchair lift installed in my van a few days ago, so I thought I'd share my first impressions.

Here's the product page: http://www.pridemobility.com/PrideLifts ... erplus.asp

The big advantage of the Backpacker is that it requires no modification of the vehicle to install. In my 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, the installer simply folded the third row of seats into the floor and attached the Backpacker to the exposed child-seat mounting points behind the second row. Installation itself is pretty straightforward, but the sheer weight of the device (around 200 lbs) means that only bodybuilders should try to do it themselves.

Once installed, operation is simple: press and hold the up button and the lift goes up and pulls itself inside the van. Press and hold the down button, and the lift slides out of the van and lowers to the ground. Releasing the button stops the lift. This is a big advantage for those of us who can stand, but not really bend down. I can stop the lift when the chair is at waist height, then fasten or remove the restraining belt and adjust the seat without scrabbling around at ground level. When the lift is on the ground, the chair can be driven off either side of the platform. It's a pretty elegant solution for people who have some ability to stand and can move from the driver's seat to the rear of their van under their own steam.

The only real drawback (and it's a big one) is the noise. It sounds like I've got a load of unsecured scaffolding in the back of the van. I'm not talking about a few clinks and clanks, but a constant cacaphony of colliding metal. It's loud enough to drown out the radio and gives me a splitting headache after an hour of driving. I'm now looking into ways of securing the offending parts. If I can't, I may have to return the product and look for something less ear-splitting.

So the preliminary verdict is: A great, relatively low cost chair lift solution for people with at least some ability to stand. Also a great product for anyone who enjoys putting a metal trashcan on their head and asking their friends hit it with cricket bats.
MenCallMeGimpy

Re: Review of Backpacker Plus power chair lift

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 28 Apr 2015, 21:16

UPDATE: After two months of back and forth with the original installer, I took my van in to Mobility Works, a local authorized Pride (and many other brands) dealer. They took the van for a drive, pronounced the noise from the Backpacker "completely unacceptable" and recommended a complete reinstall. The manager advised me to take it back to the original vendor to rectify, because "I don't like taking people's money for things like this. It's the original installer's job to put it right." I thanked him for his integrity, but said that I'd lost confidence in the original vendor and was happy to pay for the job to be done right.

Five hours and $300 later, I now have a whisper-quiet Backpacker lift in the back of my van and couldn't be happier. Also, they replaced the main power cord, which had been installed in such a manner that the chain drive of the lift was slowly shredding it.

For anyone in the LA area, I fully recommend Mobility Works for everything from basic maintenance of lift devices to fully equipped mobility vans. Their customer service is great and they even have an extensive range of complementary snacks, soft drinks and danishes in the waiting room.
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby Burgerman » 28 Apr 2015, 22:03

Sounds like you should post the bill to Pride, explain why and see what happens.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 28 Apr 2015, 22:52

I'm actually asking the original installer for a refund. They aren't an official Pride dealer, so Pride is unlikely to take responsibility for them. Let's see if they own up to their incompetence. They're currently "reviewing my case", but I'm not holding my breath.
MenCallMeGimpy

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's