Need to replace the flooring

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Need to replace the flooring

Postby garriew » 28 Dec 2015, 22:09

After 10 years, the carpet in my van is ripping. Pulling out the Permolock is what caused it, the wheels sit right on the seam of the carpet. So I'm getting it replaced but want something cheap and durable. I know, I know. Cheap and durable don't go hand in hand.

I looked at vinyl flooring but can't find any solid colors that look good. So I am considering a rubber matting.

Any suggestions on the type to get? Or other suggestions?
garriew

Re: Need to replace the flooring

Postby Burgerman » 29 Dec 2015, 01:08

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby garriew » 29 Dec 2015, 02:09

That's exactly what I was looking for. The first is what was in my old van.

Thanks!
garriew

Postby Burgerman » 29 Dec 2015, 11:45

You need 1.5 meters wide for a typical minivan. Its an inch wider than needed.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby motoman » 01 Jan 2016, 01:07

For those that have replaced their carpet with rubber flooring. Does it make the inside of your van seem louder? Been thinking of doing this.
motoman

Postby Burgerman » 01 Jan 2016, 02:37

I have not done it. But I doubt it would make much difference. Stock carpets are very thin.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Cal » 01 Jan 2016, 21:37

I had to change out the carpet on my Chrysler Grand Voyager a few years ago following repeated soakings from dragging in water and snow after a bad winter. It turned out that water had pooled in the wood under the carpet and it began to rot.

I went with vinyl flooring and whilst it's much easier to keep clean and sweep out, it does unfortunately make it quite a bit louder inside. I also had to adjust the automatic tie down slightly as there was no 'give' on the vinyl under the wheels as there was with the carpet, so the distance between the floor mounted spigot and the tie down unit (attached to the chair) had changed. I would say that for me sitting in the powerchair, the vinyl floor does feel more solid under the wheels and gives a much harder ride :(

Inside the car now feels more van like and less refined .... but the trade-off is that water now lies on the surface and can be wiped away rather than finding a way through the carpet to soak and rot the sub-floor!

I had hoped to use the dimpled black rubber flooring which John has linked to, but the converter didn't have it available at the time, so I went with the vinyl floor they had in stock.

Cal
Cal

Postby Burgerman » 02 Jan 2016, 01:22

For sound deadening, you might look at the thicker mat intended for stables/horses/etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mark » 06 Feb 2016, 12:44

Quote: "Inside the car now feels more van like and less refined .... but the trade-off is that water now lies on the surface and can be wiped away rather than finding a way through the carpet to soak and rot the sub-floor!"

Would it be possible to glue carpet on top of the vinyl? Although the carpet would get wet, it will eventually dry and the vinyl should prevent any moisture getting to the wooden floor.

I hadn't realised the Dodge? minivans had wooden floors !

My own DFW vehicle is a Sirus Switch and it is very loud inside and van like. It has a high-grip coating on a steel floor and no carpets. I have wondered about temporally fitting some old carpet to see how much difference it makes to the noise level, but haven't got around to it yet. I did worry about how easy it would be to remove the glue from the original floor's very rough surface if it didn't work out.
Mark

Postby Burgerman » 06 Feb 2016, 13:11

I just used some rubber backed large grey carpet mats to cover the OEM carpet so it doesent get wet or ruined.

Do others have issues with grip when tyres are wet? Not bad normally but if parked where ramp is a bit steep not enough grip!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby garriew » 17 Feb 2016, 21:29

I think I'm going to cover the floor w/ this. Thoughts?

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00A49TG02/r ... H956GDJA4M
garriew

Postby Burgerman » 17 Feb 2016, 22:40

Should work well.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby garriew » 06 Nov 2016, 22:00

Well, instead of redoing the entire floor I found this tape and nailed it down over the rip. It doesn't look as good but seems to be working well.

Please ignore the carpet stains. It's 12 years old.

van.jpg
garriew

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's