Harmar lift motors leaking?

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Harmar lift motors leaking?

Postby desert dweller » 09 Jul 2016, 00:05

Hi all, I'm so happy to find this forum. Hopefully this is the right place for this post. I have a 2009 Dodge Caravan with a Harmar AL600 platform lift. I got them together a little over a year ago. I was in to the local lift shop once when the lift got stuck and they got it working quickly on the spot at no charge. I also had them do a routine maintenance about 6 months ago. There was an oily substance pooling below the up/down motor but the shop owner said not to worry about it. Now the lift has slowed and struggles to lift my scooter into the van and there's an oily substance that appears to have come from the in/out motor. The scooter is 139 lbs and the lift capacity is 350 lbs. I only use the lift once or twice a week.

Before I take it in again, is anyone familiar with this type of lift? Are the motors serviceable? I was very surprised that the owner wasn't concerned about what appeared to be a leak. Is that really normal? Could they just need some seals replaced or are they already damaged beyond repair?

Thanks for your help!

Sue
Tucson, AZ
Attachments
IMG_2247.JPG
up down motor
IMG_2246 small.jpg
in out motor
desert dweller

Re: Harmar lift motors leaking?

Postby Burgerman » 09 Jul 2016, 00:46

There is a little oil there. The gearbox is filled with grease. If its overfilled, or if its really hot where you are a little may leak. Thats probably not very serious. Cetainly not the cause of it struggling. Thats more likely amotor fault/flat battery.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby desert dweller » 09 Jul 2016, 03:14

Thanks Burgerman! Since I recently upgraded the battery to one with higher specs, I'm afraid it's the motor. Does that mean it has to be replaced or could it possibly be repaired?

If I want to buy a motor and have it installed by a mechanic, how would I figure out what to get? I'm not familiar with motor terminology or specs. Would it be a standard motor or is it proprietary to Harmar? I can't find the motor online and the only thing on the label are the Harmar part and serial numbers.

Thanks for your help. :D

Sue
desert dweller

Postby Burgerman » 09 Jul 2016, 10:44

A battery, new, upgraded or otherwise has to be correctly charged. Is it separate from the vans battery? Or the vehicle starter battery? Is the batteries charging system working correctly? What is the battery voltage after standing totally unused for 12 hours?

If its the motor (unlikely) you need to contact the lift manufacturer.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby desert dweller » 09 Jul 2016, 19:13

It's the starter battery. I tested it and it was 12.48 after sitting around 14 hrs.
Turned the car on, it fluctuated between 14.06 and 14.11.
Added lights, radio, air conditioner, dropped to 13 something then quickly back up to 14.09 to 14.15.
Turned car & accessories off, 12.55 then quickly down to 12.34.
Loaded scooter with car off, going up it was 12.15 to 12.2, going in it was 12.32.
Turned car on and loaded scooter again, 14.04 to 14.12 going up, then slightly higher going in with a 1 second drop to 13.86.

Don't know if you need this but:
Alternator belt is good.
Meter readings fluctuated continuously 2 or 3 times a second.
I only drive 1-3 times a week and usually just a few miles at a time.
I have a 9 month old AGM battery with 27 months left on free replacement warranty.
Battery is designed for "deep discharge", "deep cycle" and high power accessories.
750 cold cranking amps, 955 cranking amps, 120 reserve minutes.
Lift store said standard battery would be fine. I got this one to lessen the chance of being stranded on a 110 degree day.

Thanks again for your help. I really really appreciate it.

Sue
desert dweller

Postby Burgerman » 09 Jul 2016, 19:27

Battery and van charging is fine. After sitting unused for a week it may be slow because the van takes out power all the time. Maybe the motor or a lift fault.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby desert dweller » 09 Jul 2016, 23:20

Thanks Burgerman. I'm glad it's not the battery or charging system. I guess it's back to the shop to find out why it's gotten slower. Gonna be 105 by Tuesday!

BTW, your BM3 is super cool! Being a former mountain biker who really misses the trails, I fantasize about a rig with fat tires and plush suspension that would allow me to get back out in nature.

Thanks again for all of your help. I really really appreciate it.

Have a great rest of your weekend! :D

Sue
desert dweller

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's