Honda Odyssea or something else?

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Honda Odyssea or something else?

Postby Whoville » 19 Aug 2016, 21:00

I have been trying to decide how to transport my Powerchair once it arrives. I was thinking about buying something super small like a Smart Car. Now I'm thinking about hijacking my Wifes van. She has an Odyssea van that she wants to replace with a car. I'm thinking instead of getting a car for myself I might finance the car she wants and keep the van.

I have no idea what the cost will be to make the van work. I'd like to have automated Ramps on both sides or from the back so I get in from anywhere. Then I have no idea what would be involved in using a Powerchair to drive from instead of the factory seat. I imagine these are issues various people here have already dealt with. I don't have a huge budget to work with but I don't have to solve every issue at once. Anyone have some advice on how to resolve the issues of getting the chair into the Van? Can I drive from the Chair?
Invacare Storm Torque 3 SP
Invacare Storm Arrow
Whoville

Re: Honda Odyssea or something else?

Postby Seajays » 20 Aug 2016, 21:04

Hi, I have a VMI converted 2013 Honda Odyssey van. It has a inflor ramp. I drive from my chair and a EZlock to hold my chair. Works great. You can buy them from VMI in Phoenix USA. I live in Canada and shipped my Honda to Phoenix to have the conversion done. Cost about 30k Canadian to do plus the cost of the Honda Van. Total cost about 70k Canadian
Seajays

Postby Whoville » 21 Aug 2016, 12:53

I'll contact them thank you. I already have a the Van.

I'm still day dreaming about things like Slingshots and Cam-An Spiders. I've spent quite a few years spending almost every day in bed or somewhere between my bed room and the bathroom. Please don't take that as whining, there are so so many unfortunate people far worse off than me. I am simply excited about the future as I hope it's going to be.

If I was a mad creator like Burgerman I'm not sure I wouldn't have a Crazy Chair and Transport project grinding along in my garage. I have my own skills but I can always with I had more. :roll:

Thank you for the info, I'll call WMI and see what they can tell me. I honestly couldn't afford to spend 70K at the moment.
Invacare Storm Torque 3 SP
Invacare Storm Arrow
Whoville

Postby rustyjames » 21 Aug 2016, 13:26

In my opinion you'd be better off selling your Honda and then buying a clean, used one already converted.
rustyjames

Postby Seajays » 23 Aug 2016, 16:47

You should include your location in your profile, BM could be right but we have a problem to import them into Canada. VMI has all kinds of new converted vans in stock, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler. I sent a brand new Canadian Honda to Phoenix through the Dealer in my town, cost 5k just for shipping. Just so stupid when they have them in stock converted.
Seajays

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's