Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process?

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process?

Postby Dblshotz » 08 Sep 2016, 07:34

Im looking to get my license and im in the process as i just did a drive assessment at Easter Seals and then i went to the dmv and got my learners permit. After being given the impression and myself feeling that i knocked the driving assessment out the park i recieved a letter a weak later saying that i am not "visually,cognitively and physically" able to drive safely. This caught me by surprise since all i did was draw some lines on papers,stare at moving sticks,lift my arms and take an eye test all of which i scored very well on according to the PT. I did not get placed behind a wheel and i did not get on a driving simulator neither.

I read the report thoroughly and found some inconsistancies and flat out lies on the report. I end up calling up the PT and she was very vague in her answers and admitted to "making a mistake" on some things that she wrote. Now this report was sent over to my doctor who upon seeing this refused to sign some papers from the DMV that would allow me to receive some actual driver training where i could prove that i can or cant drive (i can btw as i have driven cars numerous times). Now if i dont get my Doc to sign these papers within 90 days the dmv will revoke my learners permit which i paid 60 bucks for and had my brother miss a day of work to bring me so needless to say ill be pissed if this happens.

Now you may wonder what reason this pt has to gain by doing this and at first i thought the same but then it hit me like a ton of bricks. In the assessment she mentioned that if i didnt do well in the assessment i could come back at a later time and do a more complete assessment but that it would not be covered by my insurance and would in fact cost me $600!!! She mentioned this a couple times before testing began and kind of poked at me to answer if this would be something i could afford. Later on after the assessment was over she was glowing about how well i did. She then again brought up coming back for another assessment but this time she made it sound like something i should do as i didnt get to drive since i didnt have my LP at the time and stupid me i said that if it became necessary id be able to pay if it came to that. I absolutely believe that this is why she gave me a poor assessment grade. She wants me to come back and pay for the assessment while if my doc signs the paper i get driving training free of charge.

Now if i did not do well on these bs tests and had not already previously been on the road (illegally i know lol) i would not be complaining. Id do what i had to do to get better and be able to get the green light from the assessment. Anyone familiar with the process id greatly appreciate any feedback. I have a lot riding on this. Ive been busting my ass for the last 3 years saving money to buy a van and to be so close to my goal to have some dumb bitch trying to jerk because she wants to squeeze 600 bucks out of me is absolute bullshit! and down right infuriating! :evil:
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 08 Sep 2016, 07:39

Also i forgot to add that after i discussed the results with the PT she agreed to remove inaccuracies and eliminate the wording of me not being safe to drive. She said she would write something to the effect that visually and cognitively i am able and that physically while i do have limitations with the right support i could be a safe driver. This was about two weeks ago and she has never sent these papers to my doctor or me and ive tried reaching her and have not been able to reach her and she has not returned my calls.
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby LROBBINS » 08 Sep 2016, 08:54

Sounds to me like it's time to speak with a lawyer. I'd contact local disability rights organizations, or disability service organizations, and ask them to recommend a lawyer you could talk to. Before meeting him/her, send him/her what you've posted here.

Have you sent your doctor, in writing, the same things you've posted here, with a copy to the PT, the PT's supervisor and the DMV?
LROBBINS
 
Posts: 4538
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 09:36
Location: Siena, Italy

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby rustyjames » 09 Sep 2016, 00:54

I agree with Lenny, and I would let her know that you feel like you're being discriminated against, and if you're going to be spending anymore money it's going to be with an attorney. I've been through the process and didn't have to go through all that BS.
rustyjames
 
Posts: 877
Joined: 12 Dec 2011, 17:59
Location: Central New Jersey, USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 16 Sep 2016, 01:06

rustyjames wrote:I agree with Lenny, and I would let her know that you feel like you're being discriminated against, and if you're going to be spending anymore money it's going to be with an attorney. I've been through the process and didn't have to go through all that BS.

Would you mind going through the process you experienced?
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Burgerman » 16 Sep 2016, 10:01

I became disabled, T4 paraplegic. After years of driving. I called the licencing people, they said they made a note. All done.

They don't really care here, other than to ask you to declare anything you consider may cause you to be a danger and to read a number plate 4 cars lengths away during the actual driving test.
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 46896
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby rustyjames » 16 Sep 2016, 20:51

Dblshotz wrote:
rustyjames wrote:I agree with Lenny, and I would let her know that you feel like you're being discriminated against, and if you're going to be spending anymore money it's going to be with an attorney. I've been through the process and didn't have to go through all that BS.

Would you mind going through the process you experienced?


We're going back 15 years now but this is what I recall: made an appointment with a local rehab facility. They did an initial evaluation by testing my eyesight, balance, etc., which was my first visit. Then I had to do some driving with their car with hand controls, which was the second visit. I did quite well so they asked me if I'd like to schedule more practice visits or the driving test at the DMV. I opted to do the DMV test. They met me at DMV on the scheduled appointment date, I passed, got my new license with the restrictions and that was it. Total cost was a little less than $1,000, which I paid out of pocket.
rustyjames
 
Posts: 877
Joined: 12 Dec 2011, 17:59
Location: Central New Jersey, USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 21 Sep 2016, 03:42

rustyjames wrote:
Dblshotz wrote:
rustyjames wrote:I agree with Lenny, and I would let her know that you feel like you're being discriminated against, and if you're going to be spending anymore money it's going to be with an attorney. I've been through the process and didn't have to go through all that BS.

Would you mind going through the process you experienced?


We're going back 15 years now but this is what I recall: made an appointment with a local rehab facility. They did an initial evaluation by testing my eyesight, balance, etc., which was my first visit. Then I had to do some driving with their car with hand controls, which was the second visit. I did quite well so they asked me if I'd like to schedule more practice visits or the driving test at the DMV. I opted to do the DMV test. They met me at DMV on the scheduled appointment date, I passed, got my new license with the restrictions and that was it. Total cost was a little less than $1,000, which I paid out of pocket.


Thats pretty much my process but the problem is the bitch that did my eval is a nut job! At the eval i blew through all the test and she said i did excellent. There were some areas like strength and vision where i had average score but overall i knocked it out the park. I didnt get on a drive simulater although on the report it claims i did. The report she gave to my doctor was good overall but the killer was one line she put and that was "the client does not possess the cognitive, visual and strength to drive a car safely". That absolutely killed any chance of my doctor signing off on my actual drive eval.

I tried calling this bitch on her bs but her response was "im not going to argue with you". I dont want to push it with her because i dont trust her to screw me over more than she already has. I just cant believe that im being prevented from driving FOR ABSOLUTELY NO REASON!
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby rustyjames » 22 Sep 2016, 00:20

Is there another rehab located in your area that you can try? What's your impairment, if you don't mind disclosing it? There's all kinds of modifications they do to vehicles for all types of physical challenges, even driving with joysticks.
rustyjames
 
Posts: 877
Joined: 12 Dec 2011, 17:59
Location: Central New Jersey, USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Heygnow » 22 Sep 2016, 01:27

I do not know what are of Ct you are in,but you may want to contact the Office of Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities http://ctlawhelp.org/node/1006. Maybe they could advise or advocate on your behalf.



Driver Training Program for Persons with Disabilities
http://www.ct.gov/brs/cwp/view.asp?a=3890&q=507852

Best of luck.
Heygnow
 
Posts: 202
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 18:40
Location: USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 23 Sep 2016, 20:51

rustyjames wrote:Is there another rehab located in your area that you can try? What's your impairment, if you don't mind disclosing it? There's all kinds of modifications they do to vehicles for all types of physical challenges, even driving with joysticks.


I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy type 3. Im more independent than most as i live on my own and take care of myself. Im able to feed and dress myself,shower,in and out of bed and on and off the toilet. I very aware of the modifications available and i believe i wont need anything too drastic as ive driven a car on several occasions. I have enough strength to turn a stearing wheel,enough strength and dexterity to use turn signals,wipers,turn ignition etc. Im telling you if you met me youd wonder wtf this woman was talking about. Im 100% certain i could drive and wouldnt need drastic modifications to do so.
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 23 Sep 2016, 20:55

Heygnow wrote:I do not know what are of Ct you are in,but you may want to contact the Office of Protection and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities http://ctlawhelp.org/node/1006. Maybe they could advise or advocate on your behalf.



Driver Training Program for Persons with Disabilities
http://www.ct.gov/brs/cwp/view.asp?a=3890&q=507852

Best of luck.


Thanks! Im definitely going to contact them. Im in between doctors right now and should be meeting my new doctor in the next couple of weeks. Im going to see if he can sign off and if he does then im good. If he dont then i will be contacting the APD and taking action.
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 23 Sep 2016, 21:08

UPDATE: So its been a few weeks and not much has changed. Im basically sitting around waiting because im between doctors and being so stressed i decided to get away to Floride for a couple weeks. I ended up going to the bitches office because she had not sent the new papers. She changed some of the wording on the papers but they were still innaccuracies and she got real defensive about it when i called her on it. She said that was all she could do and that if the Doctor had any issues to call her. Needless to say i got pissed but did not erupt like Vesuvius because i honestly didnt want to get pulled out of there in handcuffs or get shot after all i do live in the US.

I took the new papers to my doctor who has since left the office and she still didnt sign the papers. :evil: So now im going to wait and see if my new doctor signs the papers. If not i will be pursuing legal measures to deal with this situation and ill also make an appointment with a Neurologist more familiar with my condition and hope i can convince them to sign off. If neither of these options work out im not sure what else i can do and may have to scrap the driving dream. :x
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby rustyjames » 23 Sep 2016, 23:37

I'm a C-7 SCI and it sounds like you're in better shape than me for being able to drive. I would go the legal route to get this resolved.
rustyjames
 
Posts: 877
Joined: 12 Dec 2011, 17:59
Location: Central New Jersey, USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 26 Sep 2016, 01:37

rustyjames wrote:I'm a C-7 SCI and it sounds like you're in better shape than me for being able to drive. I would go the legal route to get this resolved.


Well unless my new doctor signs off thatll be my only option.
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 14 Oct 2016, 02:45

Update:

So i was supposed to meet with my new Physician today after my old one flew the coup but apparantly shes on maternity leave and wont be back till january. So now the story is that my old physician cant sign the papers because shes not qualified to do the examination to sign the papers. Apparantly the dmv provides theyre own physician to do the exam but i call bs on this. I am going to call dmv tommorow to find out for certain. I looked at the papers today and it says the papers are to by signed by YOUR personal care proffessional whether its a P.A,APRN or Licensed Physician.
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Burgerman » 14 Oct 2016, 14:43

Sounds like a real efficient and simple system you guys got going over there! :mrgreen:


If you ask me there are dozens of people, officialdom, buildings, regulations, and systems that are all there to waste as much time and money as possible.
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 46896
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 15 Oct 2016, 03:02

Burgerman wrote:Sounds like a real efficient and simple system you guys got going over there! :mrgreen:


If you ask me there are dozens of people, officialdom, buildings, regulations, and systems that are all there to waste as much time and money as possible.


Its the American way :lol:
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 15 Oct 2016, 03:08

Dblshotz wrote:Update:

So i was supposed to meet with my new Physician today after my old one flew the coup but apparantly shes on maternity leave and wont be back till january. So now the story is that my old physician cant sign the papers because shes not qualified to do the examination to sign the papers. Apparantly the dmv provides theyre own physician to do the exam but i call bs on this. I am going to call dmv tommorow to find out for certain. I looked at the papers today and it says the papers are to by signed by YOUR personal care proffessional whether its a P.A,APRN or Licensed Physician.


Aaaaand it turns out i was right. The DMV does not have their own nor do they recommend any physicians. Apparently there are some forms that can only be signed by a physician who must conduct a thorough medical exam but the forms i need signed are not those. So now i have to go back to my doctors office next Friday and explain this to the temp Doc im seeing now. I will not leave that office without those papers being signed that day. They either sign or i get pulled out in cuffs because im going to make a scene and voice my displeasure. Loudly. :x
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Burgerman » 15 Oct 2016, 09:38

You guys are all crazy. I became paraplegic after accident. All kinds off added issues.
I made one call to the licensing center, told them who I was. Told them my situation. They asked me one question:

Q. Are you able to drive safely?
A. Yes. With adapted vehicle/hand controls etc.

Reply: We made a note on your record. Thank you. Goodbye.
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 46896
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 15 Oct 2016, 20:56

Burgerman wrote:You guys are all crazy. I became paraplegic after accident. All kinds off added issues.
I made one call to the licensing center, told them who I was. Told them my situation. They asked me one question:

Q. Are you able to drive safely?
A. Yes. With adapted vehicle/hand controls etc.

Reply: We made a note on your record. Thank you. Goodbye.



You Brits are the ones who are crazy! A quick phone call and simple exchange of information and thats the end of it? What kind of sorcery is this? Time and money must be wasted before anything can be resolved. A simple phone call? Preposterous! :lol:
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby rustyjames » 15 Oct 2016, 23:49

Dblshotz wrote:
Burgerman wrote:Sounds like a real efficient and simple system you guys got going over there! :mrgreen:


If you ask me there are dozens of people, officialdom, buildings, regulations, and systems that are all there to waste as much time and money as possible.


Its the American way :lol:


The unqualified, leading the unwilling, to do the unnecessary :lol:
rustyjames
 
Posts: 877
Joined: 12 Dec 2011, 17:59
Location: Central New Jersey, USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 16 Oct 2016, 06:47

rustyjames wrote:
Dblshotz wrote:
Burgerman wrote:Sounds like a real efficient and simple system you guys got going over there! :mrgreen:


If you ask me there are dozens of people, officialdom, buildings, regulations, and systems that are all there to waste as much time and money as possible.


Its the American way :lol:


The unqualified, leading the unwilling, to do the unnecessary :lol:


:lol:

Getting a good laugh out of this thread. Sometimes you just got to laugh at all the unnecessary bs we have to deal with. Unless your a brit. Any chance i can become a Brit? ARe you guys accepting applications or will just a simple phone call be suffice?
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Burgerman » 16 Oct 2016, 08:34

Until we get out of the stupid EU in about 2 years anyone can come in and get benefits, health, free house, etc. As long as you tell them you are a muslim come to take over.
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 46896
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 17 Oct 2016, 05:11

Burgerman wrote:Until we get out of the stupid EU in about 2 years anyone can come in and get benefits, health, free house, etc. As long as you tell them you are a muslim come to take over.


Oh man thats right. You guys are flooded with muslims. I think ill stay here in the states where i can own as many guns as i see fit to protect myself from Muslims,feminists and clowns.
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Burgerman » 17 Oct 2016, 08:17

Yep especially clowns. Theres a lot of them in the US. Some even run for president!
User avatar
Burgerman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 46896
Joined: 27 May 2008, 21:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 22 Oct 2016, 01:54

Update!

So i go to my doctors office again and all is confirmed. The papers are not signed because of what that idiot bitch wrote down. I will be proceeding with my legal options on Monday morning. What a complete waste of my time.
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 25 Oct 2016, 21:18

So i talked to a lawyer today and explained the situation. Basically he said if i can prove (i can) that i did well on the assessment and that she wrote some misleading and/or false information that i should go to her superior with my complaint. Outside of that he doesnt feel there much i could do and that i should go somewhere else and get another assessment. In other words "theres no money to be made so figure out your damn self".

Ive already looked into going for another assessment but the prices are high and the locations are far from where i live. This situation is looking worse by the moment. I thought id be driving by the end of the year but it appears that i might not be on the road at all. Im going to go to her superior and see where that gets me. I found out today she is Director of the mobility center department where i went so im going to have to go pretty high up to get heard and i doubt theyre going ot throw her under the bus to help me out. :x
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby rustyjames » 25 Oct 2016, 21:49

Shame that you have to go through all this BS, as if being physically isn't enough. Hopefully, you'll get it resolved, and get back in the drivers seat.
rustyjames
 
Posts: 877
Joined: 12 Dec 2011, 17:59
Location: Central New Jersey, USA

Re: Has anyone in the U.S. here been through license process

Postby Dblshotz » 26 Oct 2016, 00:48

rustyjames wrote:Shame that you have to go through all this BS, as if being physically isn't enough. Hopefully, you'll get it resolved, and get back in the drivers seat.


Yeah. Its an absolute disgrace. Not surprising though seeing as outside of good parking the disabled in this country are treated like 5th class citizens never mind 2nd.
Dblshotz
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jan 2014, 01:37
Location: Ct,USA

Next

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests

cron

 

  eXTReMe Tracker