Oil/Filter Changes

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Oil/Filter Changes

Postby rustyjames » 24 Nov 2016, 19:40

So, what are others thoughts about oil/filter changes when the vehicle isn't driven much? For instance, say you only put a thousand or two miles on a vehicle in a year, do you change the oil regardless?
rustyjames

Re: Oil/Filter Changes

Postby Swan T.W. » 24 Nov 2016, 20:42

Yes but not as often. Oil degrades. Synthetic lasts longer.
Swan T.W.

Postby Burgerman » 24 Nov 2016, 20:54

Nope. I don't do much miles. I change oil when it needs changing. That means when its anti corrosion (combustion by products are acidic) are used up, and when its started to get loaded up with carbon. Sat in the sump, with no carbon or acids to deal with, cos you do few miles, means it may as well be sat in its can.

Mine has done 5 years and 9 thousand miles, and is just starting to get dark enough to see its loading up with carbon slightly. You can still see through it. Carbon is great metal polish, its abrasive. It wears out your engine. So its going to get another gallon as soon as its warm enough to go outside again.

In the EU its perfectly normal to have 12000 mile oil changes. The very SAME 2007 vehicle in the US gets 3000 mile changes. Same engine, 2 different handbooks. Those are figures for my van. Its basically down to tradition!

And in the US you are still living mentally in the days where engines wore out, oils were mineral, etc. So they keep 3000 mile changes unnecessarily because you are prepared to pay for it. Its not needed. In the UK and EU vehicles are sold on many things but one is long service intervals because people cannot be bothered with the inconvenience, cost etc. Thats too long if you ask me. But millions do it. For normal driving about 6K miles seems about right.

But better to LOOK at the oil! Older engines, hammered engines, town engines and winter ones need it sooner. Long distance out of town use, constant speed, summer only engines don't dirty the oil fast. Older or loose fitting engines dirty oil faster too. And some just do.

If its not transparent at all its too late. If its still relatively clear, leave it. Never change it without a new filter. And use a oem filter...

When drag racing bikes I used to cut the filter in half to see what was in it. Its interesting! You get brass/bronze? Thrust bearings and £££
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 24 Nov 2016, 21:06

A bike magazine once told me to dyno test a bike before and after adding that snake oil slick 50. It made same power before, and after. As expected. Probably because most of it seemed to be clogging the oil filter. Although some could be seen in the oil. Dont use additives! They are all scams.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rustyjames » 25 Nov 2016, 01:19

I agree, if I can see that it still looks clean I let it go, but after two years I'll have it changed since it's relatively cheap to have done. Lately, I've been thinking about filter life, any thoughts on how long a filter holds up? We just did my VW and after two years the filter still looked decent.
rustyjames

Postby Burgerman » 25 Nov 2016, 01:41

any thoughts on how long a filter holds up?

Till its clogged. Filters...

If it becomes clogged. Or on cold mornings, the pressure relief valve opens to let oil flow AROUND the filter. If not the oil pump drive fails since oil cannot be compressed. Ping, broken...

Cheap filters, have either coarse mesh, that doesn't block (or filter much) and so either way they dont keep the large carbon or metal out of your bearings. Or they filter really well, block, and allow bypass, then dont filter at all... Also cheap filters may not have a 1 way return valve. So oil drains back to the sump. Next start-up? Oil free motor where most (95 percent%) wear occurs. Or they have one but its crap... they allow SOME drain back, so the top of the engine runs dry... Ever hear the tappet rattle at start up? Your engine is suffering because the filter is junk!

So after that how long does it hold up? OEM filters have more folds. More surface area. So much longer! Thats not to say cheap replacements are crap, you just dont know. And the oil is clean? So is the OEM filter! Cant say if its off branded. Could be OK, could be junk.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's