My next vehicle - what should I look for?

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

My next vehicle - what should I look for?

Postby Scooterman » 29 Nov 2016, 15:03

Hi, I currently have golf estate on the motability scheme. It is my first motability vehicle but whether I stay with the scheme when it ends this year I don't know?

The golf isn't really suitable for me. It has a hoist but I can only load my small scooter or manual wheelchair into the back and hobble round to the drivers seat on crutches which I hate doing as it hurts and I'm so unsteady on crutches.

Ideally I'd like a van or wav type of vehicle but I know nothing about them. If I tell you my requirements then perhaps someone might be able to point me in the right direction?

I like a vehicle where the rear ramp deploys remotely, which I can then ride my big or small scooter or wheelchair up into the positon where the front passenger seat would normally be. Then I could shuffle across onto the drivers seat, retract the ramp and shut the tailgate remotely. Although I can't walk and don't have much strength I am quite good at shuffling across awkward gaps as I'm thin and lightweight.

I don't need to carry passengers so just a drivers seat is enough. But the downside of a ramp is that I don't know how I would ride my manual wheelchair up the ramp? I would need a winch or something?
Scooterman

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's