Wanted

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Wanted

Postby Bannister » 23 Jan 2017, 17:48

Hi,
I am x uk and writing from South Africa as a wheelchair user and disabled person. I have a condition known as Spinal Muscular Atrophy.
I am diving a regular automatic vehicle with push pull hand control, but my disability is getting worse and soon I will need something easier to drive and more independent to get in and out of. Currently I need help getting lifted in and out of my car, assembling / dismantling my electric wheelchair and so I cannot drive anywhere on my own. I am wanting something which will make me fully independent and easy / quick to use.
I am now looking for a large van which can take me in and out of a vehicle independently with an automated ramp or lift, and which I can drive from my wheelchair. Since steering wheels are also becoming increasingly difficult for me, as it is difficult to lift my arms to the top of the wheel, I am also considering a joystick driving modification. But, I still want my wife to be able to drive from time to time as a regular automatic and so regular controls must remain with a seat that can be easily installed order removed for quick change over of drivers.
I know that the vehicles that are available for disabled people overseas are some of the best in the world. I have an opportunity of importing a suitable vehicle from overseas to SA but need to know which are the best manufacturers, who provide the most suitable adaptions, from where I can buy? I can buy new or secondhand - does anyone know where I can buy?
I do have a family with my wife and 2 kids and therefore a van or large car that can accommodate the 4 of us comfortably would be most suitable.
I look forward to your advice accordingly
Best Regards,
Mark Bannister
Bannister

Re: Wanted

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jan 2017, 18:16

Rollx minivan from canada or US is cheapest/best solution. And right hand drive. Used or new, or reconditioned, or new conversions. http://www.rollxvans.com/

Or similar.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's