VMI issue

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

VMI issue

Postby motoman » 20 May 2017, 15:25

So I've got a VMI honda Odyssey and I've been noticing my steering was feeling a bit wonky for quite a while. Last year I took it in for an alignment, which was fine. A couple months ago I take it in to the Honda dealership for a timing belt. When they put it on the lift the front wheels dropped out of the wheel opening. Come to find out the nuts that hold the front struts to the strut tower were all broken off and gauging by the rust on the studs they have been broken for a long time. When VMI raises the suspension on the front they use what looks to be an aluminum casting about 4 inches thick the machine stud extensions with a female thread on one end and male on the other. The studs, 3 on each side were all broken under the nuts.

When I went to the VMI dealer he told me they have seen this 5 or 6 times. I called VMI directly and told them they should have a bulletin on this but all I got was lip service saying this "is an isolated incident", which is a load of bull. Incidentally my van has never been in a collision nor has never even kissed a curb. So if you have one you might want to do a little inspection to see if yours are broken. I have a couple pics but cannot get them to post. I can email them if any body is interested.
motoman

Re: VMI issue

Postby Burgerman » 22 May 2017, 00:30

Thats crazy. Not to mention dangerous. They need to do a recall asap.

The front of the van isnt actually attached to any suspension! Other than the anti roll bar. Which wont stop it separating over a jump or bridge at speed. More importantly the van could roll over leaving the front wheels/suspension, drive shafts, (they push in) behind on a bend.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 22 May 2017, 08:48

John is right and if VMI isn't taking this seriously perhaps you can send your information to the NTSB (U.S. agency responsible for transportation safety). They have not been treating manufacturers who don't self-report defects (as the law requires) very kindly of late.
LROBBINS

Postby motoman » 23 May 2017, 13:11

Yea, its a bad deal. I'm one set of rough railroad tracks away from leaving my whole drive train in a heap in the road. On most cars the strut bolts are easily seen when the hood is open but on the Odyssey they are close to the firewall and can only be seen and checked by removing the louver around the windshield wipers. The fact that VMI headquarters denies the problem but the dealer has seen it "5 or 6 times" is concerning. There are likely dozens if not hundreds of people driving around with this issue and have no clue about the issue. I've been writing up a description to send to the NHTSA.
motoman

Postby Burgerman » 23 May 2017, 14:13

Its surprising none have turned over on a bend. As soon as you get a bit of lateral force the body can lift in the inside and then roll leaving the heavy cross member and wheels on the road!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby F3Head » 24 May 2017, 20:52

Would you mind telling us what year Honda Odyssey you have? Just for kicks you should send the bill to VMI along with the telephone number of your lawyer.

F3HEAD
F3Head

Postby motoman » 25 May 2017, 13:42

Mine is a 07'.
motoman

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's