10 years old + Motability

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Re: 10 years old + Motability

Postby Mark » 31 Jul 2017, 20:38

That particular photo was when I was experimenting with the seating position before the lockdown bolt position was finalised. What I was trying to see at that stage was how much room there was for my long legs and boots. I don't drive with the wheelchair in that position. I have 2 F55's that I can drive from, in the purple one shown I have to flip up the footrest in the green one (in some of the other photos but not behind the wheel in the photos) I don't have to flip up the footrest. Both F55s have centre footrests just like the eBay one you painted with hammer finish paint that hinge upwards as standard. I have a long bootlace tied to the footrest so I can pull it up if needed. This allows me to get closer to the table in pubs etc if they have a table leg in the way. My actual legs can go either side of a table leg, the footplate can't.

The red wheelchair in one pic isn't an F55. It's one of my back up chairs and I used it for a couple of days to check the lock down worked ok and driving was ok from it.

If you really think a Sprinter might be a solution for you, I'm quite happy to drive over one day and you can try it for size. The spacious interior is more useful and practical than I ever imagined.

I've just received some new seat brackets from Lasermaster to raise the seat on the purple F55 so its like the green F55 but I've not been able to fit them yet as I'm still rather delicate from a hospital procedure in the urology day case unit last Friday. Should then have two identical seating positions.
Mark

Postby Swan T.W. » 31 Jul 2017, 20:50

What is the inside floor to roof height? And if possible your sitting height,foor to top of your head?
Swan T.W.

Postby Mark » 31 Jul 2017, 21:27

Swan T.W. wrote:What is the inside floor to roof height? And if possible your sitting height,foor to top of your head?

I'll need help to measure that while I sit in two different F55s, but the floor to roof height in my Sprinter (It is a low-roof one) must be around 5foot 4 inches because Sally can stand up in it and I don't think she bends her head. I'll try to measure more accurately. Note that the height at the rear doors is likely to be less than this. I have my seat high because I have long legs but I don't have to duck to get in.

I notice you are in Canada. One thing to note about the Sprinter is that there is some electronics equipment under the front LEFT seat that would have to be relocated if you wanted a left-hand-drive wheelchair position. I have seen one Sprinter that had Ricon 6-way transfer seats in both sides and the electronics had to be relocated into a large separate box between the driver and pax positions; not a small job I would have thought. For a rhd wheelchair position the electronics under the left-hand passenger seat can stay in situ making a much easier conversion.

As far as I can see the Mercedes Sprinter converts to a drive from wheelchair vehicle without major modification to the base vehicle. After driving over 9000 miles in it I'm very impressed with it. There are numerous varients; at least 3 different lengths and 2 roof heights. Mine is the shortest + low roof and still very spacious.
Mark

Postby Burgerman » 01 Aug 2017, 01:55

Thanx for the offer but I am a long way from this yet. Equity release, new boiler, new floor, new skirting, decorating, carpets, fix BM3, finish BM2 green, get rid of my garden flood (drainage) etc etc... And currently on bed with a minor mark on backside! To name a few issues lined up! And currently on a diet to lose 4 stone.

What about the wheels? Will a lift drop another 6 inches?
If you want a set of those, you need Duratrac 265/70/17's on the Method 17x7.5 rims. And raise the suspension 3 inches. Makes it look a lot tougher!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... ersion.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mark » 01 Aug 2017, 09:03

Not too many outstanding jobs at the moment then....

Just a thought:
If you need to install drainage in rear garden and your boiler needs replacing, have you played around with the sums for a heat pump instead of a gas boiler? I did the sums for an air-sourced heat pump a year or two back and a replacement gas boiler still was the best option but the difference was much smaller than the previous time I considered it. I have a feeling that a ground-sourced heat pump would give better figures but digging up a shared tarmac drive made that a non-starter here so I didn't investigate. However, one lot of digging could install both drainage pipes and collection pipes for the heat pump. Would be interesting to see how the figures stack up. My gut feeling is that heat pumps are more reliable than the modern "high-efficiency" gas boilers.

Don't know if the lift will drop another 6" as I've never tried. It will certainly drop some way below level-with-the-wheels which I have needed sometimes on uneven ground but not sure of the limit. If you get to the stage where it is important, I could probably find somewhere to measure it.

Sorry to hear you're on the bed again. Hope it's not too long. With Polio I still have full sensation (a mixed blessing), its just the muscle driver circuits that are knackered so I (usually) spot sores at an early stage. Still had serious leg ulcers in the past that have taken years to heal but been clear for over 3 years now.
Mark

Postby Burgerman » 01 Aug 2017, 13:32

Thought about ground source heap pump before... Everything takes so long and gets so complicated!

Just called a friend who works at the local Mercedes commercial p;ace. He is getting me a quote to supply the van in that image, 4x4, without the wheels (1200 pounds I supply those) with all the interior carpeted, flat, side lift, fully trimmed, rear seats, all doors remote, privacy glass, and all the expensive toys and options! So it will be a luxury air conditioned people carrier. The 4x4 part -- only issue not sure if that can be an auto. Waiting to find out. If not then it will be rear drive only. But jacked up with massive tyres...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mark » 01 Aug 2017, 13:45

Just my curiosity, but I would be interested in hearing that price too. Might be interesting to also get a quote from O and H who did the conversion on my Sprinter and add that to the unmodified vehicle price. O and H are in Goole so not that far from you and I can supply a contact name if interested.
Mark

Postby Swan T.W. » 01 Aug 2017, 16:38

Mark wrote:
Swan T.W. wrote:What is the inside floor to roof height? And if possible your sitting height,foor to top of your head?

I'll need help to measure that while I sit in two different F55s, but the floor to roof height in my Sprinter (It is a low-roof one) must be around 5foot 4 inches because Sally can stand up in it and I don't think she bends her head. I'll try to measure more accurately. Note that the height at the rear doors is likely to be less than this. I have my seat high because I have long legs but I don't have to duck to get in.

I notice you are in Canada. One thing to note about the Sprinter is that there is some electronics equipment under the front LEFT seat that would have to be relocated if you wanted a left-hand-drive wheelchair position. I have seen one Sprinter that had Ricon 6-way transfer seats in both sides and the electronics had to be relocated into a large separate box between the driver and pax positions; not a small job I would have thought. For a rhd wheelchair position the electronics under the left-hand passenger seat can stay in situ making a much easier conversion.

As far as I can see the Mercedes Sprinter converts to a drive from wheelchair vehicle without major modification to the base vehicle. After driving over 9000 miles in it I'm very impressed with it. There are numerous varients; at least 3 different lengths and 2 roof heights. Mine is the shortest + low roof and still very spacious.

Managed to get inside height from a dealer,64.1 inches [162.8 cent.]
Swan T.W.

Postby Mark » 01 Aug 2017, 16:42

Yes, sounds right and agrees with Sally's height.
Mark

Postby Burgerman » 02 Aug 2017, 02:15

Some go too far.

youtu.be/khsfF7FXIBg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 02 Aug 2017, 02:33

youtu.be/9gIaxawRDyI

This without the daft vynl wrap colours would be great. All black.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby salixfire » 02 Aug 2017, 12:01

Burgerman wrote:Just called a friend who works at the local Mercedes commercial p;ace. He is getting me a quote to supply the van in that image, 4x4, without the wheels (1200 pounds I supply those) with all the interior carpeted, flat, side lift, fully trimmed, rear seats, all doors remote, privacy glass, and all the expensive toys and options! So it will be a luxury air conditioned people carrier. The 4x4 part -- only issue not sure if that can be an auto. Waiting to find out. If not then it will be rear drive only. But jacked up with massive tyres...

Mark wrote:Just my curiosity, but I would be interested in hearing that price too. Might be interesting to also get a quote from O and H who did the conversion on my Sprinter and add that to the unmodified vehicle price. O and H are in Goole so not that far from you and I can supply a contact name if interested.

I'd like to hear the prices for these. I'm not interested in the 4x4 particularly (or the huge tyres) but I'm trying to find out how much WAVs are likely to cost. I've currently got a motability car, but want to get a WAV in the near future. Preferably own my own than be with motability again.

Mark wrote:There was another option that could potentially be cheaper still and that would be if you could buy an ex-Motability dfw vehicle at auction, cutting out the middle-man of option 2. However, although I have bought cars at auction before, and written up how to do it for a magazine (more ££ income) that is no longer practical for me. I also heard, but didn't double-check, that Motability sell the ex-lease dfw vehicles by tender, not auction, and won't sell directly to an end user. I've sold all my companies, so would have had to set one up specially, just to buy one vehicle. I don't have the mental energy these days to do that. Life is too short.

Would you mind telling me more about this process? Why is it not practical any more if you don't mind me asking? Thank you :)
salixfire

Postby Burgerman » 02 Aug 2017, 13:34

Prices go from basic van, low trim level, very cheaply! To luxury limo, 4x4, with a huge amount of extras and rediculously expensive. So you need an idea of what you want. Anything from £20k to 70k. New.

Sales / auctions require knowledge, time, crawling underneath, a good menchanical/bodywork/extras and costs knowledge and ability. And doing that when disabled is not easy.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mark » 02 Aug 2017, 18:26

Hi Salixfire,
BM has said it all really. I can no longer properly inspect an auction vehicle properly. Can't crawl underneath, can't get into certain positions to see things I would want to look at. Even looking under the bonnet requires me to stand which takes planning, is painful, exhausting, and I can only do it for a few minutes, then I'm not able to do much for a while afterwards. So the lack of practicality is all down to my physical limitations now. Also, I have heard that ex Motability DFW vehicles are sold to the trade by tender. I haven't bothered to check because it still wouldn't do me any good for the reasons above. There is the option of buying from one of the dealers who deal with the ex-Motability DFW Sprinters. Expect to pay £15-£20 for a 5-7 year old vehicle via this route with a new MOT and probably a limited guarantee. Sprinters do seem pretty robust and well-engineered with long service intervals. One of these dealer vehicles I looked at had done under 1000 miles!
Mark

Postby salixfire » 02 Aug 2017, 20:14

Ah fair enough. I have some friends that might be able to look over cars for me, I just wouldn't know where to start looking for auctions for ex Motability WAVS. Tendering via a company, I presume you'd need to be a Ltd rather than a sole trader type company. Again, I wouldn't know where to start. Apart from car/van knowledge that I might be able to borrow, is it difficult to go down the auctioning/tendering route? Thank you :)
salixfire

Postby Burgerman » 02 Aug 2017, 21:08

Cars direct from Motability Operations - the UK's largest fleet, including a wide range of makes and models the majority 3 years old, with circa. 25,000 miles with a valid MOT, V5 and service book present.

Car Auction Sales
Birmingham Perry Barr
- 10:30am Wednesday 9th & 23rd August
Blackbushe
- 12:00pm Every Friday
Bridgwater
- 11:00am Thursday 10th & 24th August - 'Centre for a Day' 200 cars.
Leeds
- 12:00pm Tuesday 8th & 22nd August
Livingston
- 1:00pm Every Wednesday
Measham
- 10:30am Monday 14th August - 'Centre for a Day' Up to 150 cars in the Cheviot Hall.
Peterborough
- 10:30am Wednesday 2nd & 16th August
Preston
- 11:00am Monday 14th August Motability Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle sale.
Preston
- 11:00am Tuesday 29th August and fortnightly thereafter Motability Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle sale. NEW selling day.
Preston
- 10:30am Wednesday 2nd & 16th August

Sales may include:

Chevrolet Matiz, Lacetti, Tacuma, Citroen C1, C2, C3, C4, XSARA Picasso, C4 Picasso, C8, Berlingo Multispace, Ford Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, C-Max, Mondeo, S-Max, Honda Jazz, Civic, Accord, CR-V, Hyundai Matrix, Coupe, Tucson, Kia Cee'd and Sedona
Mazda 2, 3, 6, Mercedes-Benz A-class, Mitsubishi Colt, Nissan Micra, Note, Primera, Peugeot 207, 308, Renault Clio, Megane, Scenic, Modus, Saab 9-3, 9-5, Skoda Octavia, Toyota Yaris, RAV4, Vauxhall Corsa, Astra, Agila, Zafira, Volkswagen, VW, Golf, Polo, Fox, Passat, Sharan, Touran, Volvo S40, S60 and XC90
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles including: Citroen Berlingo Multispace, Fiat Doblo, Peugeot Partner Combi, Renault Kangoo, Master, Traffic, Volkswagen VW and Transporter
Ex-fleet cars, wheelchair and mobility vehicles
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 02 Aug 2017, 21:14

And all the sales places have websites like this one:
http://www.shorehamvehicleauctions.com/ ... cheme-cars

Imports...
https://www.ts-export.com/page.php?page ... y_vehicles

Allied
https://www.alliedmobility.com/used-whe ... -vehicles/

eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Disabled-Vehic ... bn_2316490

Then theres the US and canada, about half price, even from new. If left hand drive doesent bother you and it shouldnt!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby salixfire » 02 Aug 2017, 21:20

Thanks :) Left hand drive shouldn't be too much of a bother, I'd worry about the dealer ripping me off as I can't see the car before purchase. I know of Rollx and Braunability in the US, what is the one you got yours from in Canada?
salixfire

Postby Burgerman » 02 Aug 2017, 22:06

A new rollx van. At that time, in the UK they were around 57k pounds plus hand controls and tie down.

I had a new left hand drive one ordered, complete with hand controls and a non fitted tie down, shipped, taken to bekker mobility, wheelchair modded, tie down installed, and all tests and paperwork and shipping done under 30K. So half price.

Alternative was 25K down, 5 year motability lease, 5 years of £50 weekly another 15k, and then you still dont own it... So leasing is senseless. Mine was owned outright, for 10k LESS and is like new 11 years later!

So the motability route would have cost me 25k, 16k, x2 for 10 years. So 72k!!! And I would still be without a van again!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby salixfire » 02 Aug 2017, 22:24

Yes, that's why I'm thinking of buying one rather than using motability again. Also I am not likely to get a grant for a dfw/internal transfer as they have altered the rules supposedly, I'm not working or in education anymore. However, I need to find a cheaper option than buying brand new as I don't have £30k spare (also the way the £ has dived...). Hence auctions etc. Any help is appreciated :)
salixfire

Postby Burgerman » 03 Aug 2017, 00:11

If I get a new one I will sell you mine! Its 11 years old soon. But looks like new. Even the ramp is clean as new. And the carpets.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby salixfire » 03 Aug 2017, 00:31

Hehe cool, though I imagine it would depend on how much you are selling it for. :)
salixfire

Postby Burgerman » 03 Aug 2017, 01:31

Well I have no idea right now. After 10 years I decided it deserved a new Odyssey battery, and a 50 watt rooftop solar panel. And a charge controller. So even though its sat polished, but unstarted for a month, the battery is 100% full and ready to go. Unlike every other one of these vans! That battery will outlive the van.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby salixfire » 03 Aug 2017, 15:34

Cool :)
salixfire

PreviousNext

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's