Mouth Operated Van Controls

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Mouth Operated Van Controls

Postby Rye » 25 May 2017, 00:47

Just curious if anyone drives with their mouths, how the controls work, and which companies offer mouth controls for a vehicle? I'm looking to drive my mini excavator with mouth controls so that my hands will be free to operate the boom and bucket controls. Any help would be awesome!!
Permobil C350/C300, Quickie P-222, Magic Mobility V6 Off-Road
Rye

Re: Mouth Operated Van Controls

Postby Burgerman » 25 May 2017, 00:49

!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 25 May 2017, 01:06

If nobody drives with their mouths, then can someone help me understand how mouth controls for a wheelchair work? Thanks.
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 25 May 2017, 03:38

I didn't say you couldn't, was just surprised. An excavator will throw you about and make that super hard will it not? And a world of expense and complication.

Unless you are talking about a tube for mouth and low fixed speeds forwards and reverse, left/right etc or/instead combined with a head array or couple of buttons. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwm25wJ3O2A

Wheelchairs use latched controls, and programming and true track or gyro assisted type setups to achieve this. Set up with low acceleration rates low turn rates etc. They are not very easy to use if you are bounced about. Not sure how easy thats going too be for a excavator due to the way they work, or a steering system in a car.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 25 May 2017, 13:01

They're only rough if you're on rough Terrain. I normally use mine in boggy areas. I normally use the hand controls to drive but I'm wanting to get it fixed so I can use the hand controls to drive while simultaneously working the Boom. I was thinking actuators to operate the levers then I could fix it so that I only have two press a button for the left lever and press a button for the right lever and the actuators would actually push the levers. But the actuator would have to be hydraulic so that it would release when I release the button.
Rye

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's