Auto Ramp Retract Slow ??

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Auto Ramp Retract Slow ??

Postby Rye » 22 Jun 2017, 21:35

I have a Braun Entervan with a folding ramp. I was told that the ramp, door, and kneeling system all run off of the starter battery (I have no AUX battery). That sounds crazy to me, but whatever. Recently my ramp started retracting really slow and sometimes dropping back down after getting 2/3 of the way up. A few times I had to use the "ramp fold" override switch to pull it in. Here's what I don't understand:

Why does my ramp fold up slow (or not at all) with the "auto fold" button, but folds up fine with the override?? Both are using the same battery to function.

Also, I was thinking about using a good deep cycle battery as my starter battery seeing as how it runs quite a few aux functions. Any suggestions on battery brand/type?
Permobil C350/C300, Quickie P-222, Magic Mobility V6 Off-Road
Rye

Re: Auto Ramp Retract Slow ??

Postby Burgerman » 22 Jun 2017, 22:04

Yes, theres only one thats worth buying... Odyssey PC1500.

As to why it goes slower and then faster with the override, then I don't know but quite likely its a combination of crap battery, or discharged battery and long wires... Does it retract fast with the engine running? If so battery knackered.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 22 Jun 2017, 22:21

Yea, a little faster when it's running. Is the Odyssey PC1500 "better" than the Trojan flooded-type batteries? We use flooded batteries around the farm because they tend to last a long time (although they require a little maintenance). I'm not worried about weight.
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 22 Jun 2017, 22:37

Its "better" in every possible way.

Around DOUBLE the cranking amps of a similar sized wet battery, and it doesent deteriorate super fast when discharged deeply. And your van does that to its battery all the time. Its about the only battery that IS suitable for that van. It will charge twice as fast as a wet battery too.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rustyjames » 22 Jun 2017, 23:07

My thought as to why there's not an auxiliary battery is because it's really not necessary for a ramp van, as opposed to a lift, which requires much more amps since it has to lift the weight of the chair, rider and parts of the lift.
rustyjames

Postby Burgerman » 22 Jun 2017, 23:32

Even if you do have a separate battery, it would need to be a deep cycle type. And rather than a separate system separate charge system, its STILL better to connect this extra one, directly to the vehicle battery. Because it increases CCA, CA, etc, decreases average depth of discharge, and means either one is les likely to deteriorate or become too discharged to operate van/lift.

So ideally both would still need to be both high cranking amp, and deep cycle capable. Again, only Odyssey, or optima are an option. And in the case of the Chrysler, the optima is too small Ah. So Odyssey 68Ah PC1500 is the one to go for. And ideally a 50 watt solar panel on roof, and a charge controller set to 13.3 or 13.4V INDEFINITE FLOAT.

Theres a thread somewhere, as thats what I did.

Found viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6886#p101607
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 22 Jun 2017, 23:46

Originally my AUX was an Optima Red Top and I replaced it with another, but it was shit within a year so I ditched it. I need RV-type power because I travel a lot and sleep in my van. I like the solar setup Burger. What kind of regulator is in your setup?
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jun 2017, 12:14

Optima Red Top

Is a starter battery. Great for engine starting, and terrible for cyclic use. You needed a yellow top one at double the price. Those are dual starter/and deep cycle. They are much like the odyssey.

But that too, will die fast as will all batteries that are allowed to sit at less than 100% full for long periods. Hence the solar panel...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jun 2017, 12:22

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-10-20-30A ... vqBSycbVBw

10A one. Since you will only get around 2.5 to 3.

Theres hundreds of different ones on ebay. Most are garbage. This one works properly. Is cheap. Allows you to set your own float voltage of 13.3 to 13.4V for long service life. And has a maximum power tracker that improves efficiency required in winter when light is limited. That actually works! First thing in a morning, tops up charge. Then float.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby motoman » 23 Jun 2017, 14:26

rustyjames wrote:My thought as to why there's not an auxiliary battery is because it's really not necessary for a ramp van, as opposed to a lift,

Assuming Braun is like VMI, the secondary battery is just a backup for your regular battery if it takes a dump. It seems on my VMI the chances of wiring loom, switch, computer and motor issues are far greater than battery issues.
motoman

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jun 2017, 15:21

The real problem is that the manufacturers or converters of modern vehicles are fitting bigger and bigger batteries or extra batteries. When the problem is really one of battery drain from a multitude of small things. It adds up to cause significant battery drain. If you use it regularly, the result is that you never notice it, unless you leave your car at an airport for 3 weeks and it wont start. But it IS damaging your battery over time.

The adapted vehicles we use have an extra few sources of drain. A computer in the rear to control doors, ramps, lowering suspension as well as an extra receiver running to work from your remote door opener. So our cars run batteries down when parked even faster. This means your battery dies sooner, even if you dont suffer starting issues.

So instead of fitting bigger heavier batteries, the correct answer is to use a simple small deep cycle/starting battery like the Odyssey or yellow top Optima (Odyssey preferred). And a rooftop 50 Watt solar panel, with charge controller set to 13.3V. Please note, smaller or in a window, will not work!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 16 Jul 2017, 16:53

Well it was definitely the battery. I popped in an Optima Yellow Top and the ramp came up.
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 16 Jul 2017, 21:08

Wont last 2 minutes unless you charge it properly.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 18 Jul 2017, 01:00

You talking about a full charge before installing? I did that as far as my charger will do it. (the specs on the charger are still a mystery though)
Rye

Postby Rye » 18 Jul 2017, 01:00

You talking about a full charge before installing? I did that as far as my charger will do it. (the specs on the charger are still a mystery though)
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 18 Jul 2017, 03:02

No I am talking about a charge controller and a solar panel around 50 watts on the roof. If you do not fully charge a lead battery, and it sits at less than 100% full it sulfates and dies rapidly. Charge controller needs to be set to a low 13.3 to 13.4V too. It slowly charges the battery. And preferably the vehicles battery too. They need to be connected together. And it holds them at 100% without ever overcharging. So no matter what your battery is full and will last 10 years easily.

The real problem is that the manufacturers or converters of modern vehicles are fitting bigger and bigger batteries or extra batteries. When the problem is really one of battery drain from a multitude of small things. It adds up to cause significant battery drain. If you use it regularly, the result is that you never notice it, unless you leave your car at an airport for 3 weeks and it wont start. But it IS damaging your battery over time.

The adapted vehicles we use have an extra few sources of drain. A computer in the rear to control doors, ramps, lowering suspension as well as an extra receiver running to work from your remote door opener. So our cars run batteries down when parked even faster. This means your battery dies sooner, even if you dont suffer starting issues.

So instead of fitting bigger heavier batteries, the correct answer is to use a simple small deep cycle/starting battery like the Odyssey or yellow top Optima (Odyssey preferred). And a rooftop 50 Watt solar panel, with charge controller set to 13.3V. Please note, smaller or in a window, will not work!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 18 Jul 2017, 08:38

Well the solar isn't going to happen for awhile, but I do have some leads that bolt on and will connect it to a charger over nights. Best I can do for now. Solar is on my list of things to do in the near future though. Thanks, man.
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 19 Jul 2017, 11:51

Well its best to do it ASAP before your shiny new battery starts to deteriorate.

The longer you wait, the less capable the battery will be. Shame to let it die considering that a panel is relatively cheap, and the charge controller is cheaper still!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's