Request: Information about WAVS

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Request: Information about WAVS

Postby salixfire » 05 Aug 2017, 13:20

Well due to a governmental screw up (ah PIP how I loathe thee), I will very shortly be without a car. So now have a mad dash to try and find something that I can afford and is usable. I would prefer to get a WAV if possible (though getting one within my price range might be unfeasible). What sort of things should I look for? Both myself (wheelchair user) and my partner (AB) need to be able to drive, I can drive unadapted cars as long as the pedals and steering wheel aren't too heavy. Internal transfer is preferred and side ramp also is preferred. Also the ability to carry 3 passengers (+driver) is preferred. All these things are only a preference and will bow to what is available/affordable.

Do you think it might be better to buy a used MPV and get it adapted slowly over time? What is the minimum internal height needed for a WAV? Do you know of many vehicles that don't need the floor lowering? I'd prefer not to have to get a big van like the Mercedes Sprinter but if that is the only way then I'll adapt.

Due to all the *insert lots of sweating here* happening currently my brain is not working it's best so if there's any questions you think I should be asking or anything you think I might not know about please add the information. Thank you :)
salixfire

Re: Request: Information about WAVS

Postby Burgerman » 05 Aug 2017, 16:31

Even the sprinter requires the foor mods. To use and drive from a wheelchair.

A transporter / caravelle needs a floor mod in the centre to acess from a wheelchair properly, and again only one company do a full floor drive from conversion that doesent require a lowered wheelchair.

Other than that there are only smaller rear entry cars or vans meaning you have a fight withseating or shopping and reverse out...

Doing these mods afterwards isnt woth it and will cost a fortune.

Saving and importing is the only sensible option. Any of the cheaper options or motability, leasing, etc is only affordable by those that dont understand money and want to be poor indefinitely. Or very used, ebay. And some mobility vehicles are very cheap. Or sales.

Or an end of lease car like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHEELCHAIR-AC ... SwrhBZDIFM

More https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... n&_sacat=0
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mark » 06 Aug 2017, 21:21

That £10k black Sprinter DFW is a lot cheaper than any I managed to find last year when I was looking. Had it been available then I would probably have bought it!
Mark

Postby Burgerman » 07 Aug 2017, 01:58

Well you didnt ask me! They come up on the bay all the time.

That ones done a lot of miles. You see them often with 15 to 30k too. You just need patience.

E.G. 17K MILE VITO drive from wheelchair. Needs some minor interior trim, and new carpet and a good valet. But its done exactly 1000 miles per year! This often happens with disability vehicles.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Benz ... SwbopZPHwg

And you could get that for 3k on an offer. Would need looking at in person really. But even if tatty should be reliable tranport.

But I would offer 20k for this. 60k plus new. Its under 3 years old, and done 2000 per year! Its literally as new. 6k miles fot 1/3rd the cost.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-MERCEDES ... Swz71ZVq0J
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 07 Aug 2017, 02:36

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mark » 08 Aug 2017, 20:18

quote:That ones done a lot of miles. You see them often with 15 to 30k too. You just need patience.

Admit it is a lot of miles but the Sprinters have very de-rated engines for which 100k miles isn't very much. However, most of the s/h ones I found were very low mileage and more expensive. One VW Caravelle I saw with Paravan controls and joystick steering (as well as the usual wheel) had done less than 1000 miles!

Absolutely delighted with the Sprinter we now have. Out all day in Derbyshire with it yesterday (when it didn't rain!) There's a lot to be said for a spacious van.
Mark

Postby Burgerman » 09 Aug 2017, 02:30

100k is maybe not a problem with the engine. But ancillaries, suspension parts like shocks bushes, cv joints, gearboxes, brakes, wheel bearings, seals, exhausts, carpets, door fittings, ramps/lifts, all get old/worn/tired...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's