How to fix/hack my EZ-Lock?

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

How to fix/hack my EZ-Lock?

Postby Ayesha » 10 Dec 2017, 23:32

I have an accessible van with an EZ Lock automatic locking system. I like the system, but as with many things for people with disabilities, it treats us is if we’re not very bright. My specific issue is that I cannot unlock and get out of the van if the engine is running. It disables that function supposedly for my safety. But it’s more complicated for people to drop me off somewhere or to use valet parking, and very annoying in the winter when it’s cold. I’m wondering how this function works and what I could do to disable it (ha ha). It is unnecessary, because the device beeps when you come unlocked, so if for some reason it unlocked while we were driving, I would still know about it. Any help would be appreciated!
Ayesha

Re: How to fix/hack my EZ-Lock?

Postby rustyjames » 11 Dec 2017, 00:03

No doubt it can be hacked, but no dealer will do it due to liability. I don't know the legal ramifications in other countries, but in the US anyone who tinkers with any safety system would be on the hook if something happened.
rustyjames

Postby Burgerman » 11 Dec 2017, 00:51

Its just a 12V solenoid that releases you. You could take a look which wireof the two on the solenoid is the switched one, and extend it, to a momentary push button on the lower dash. Connect the other side to 12 or 0V whichever is required. Press to release.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 12 Dec 2017, 03:13

Also a mechanical approach - both Q-lock and EZ-lock have cable release options - IMHO critical if by oneself as an emergency release if the electrical system ends up non-functional... So I have a big handle on my dash that if I pull it, I'm free.... The dealer should be happy to install it, as it is a safety function, but allows one to get out of the lock without the electricals giving permission...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby motoman » 12 Dec 2017, 15:33

Do like I did, find the control box under the dash, cut the white wire that goes to the engine running circuit. And done. Now you can open it as you please when running, and as a bonus, no more frigging horns.
motoman

Postby Ayesha » 13 Dec 2017, 20:36

Motoman, do you mean the box with the release buttons on it? Is there only one white wire?
Ayesha

Postby motoman » 14 Dec 2017, 01:59

Ayesha wrote:Motoman, do you mean the box with the release buttons on it? Is there only one white wire?

No, there is a control box under the dash. Follow the cord coming out of the switch panel, it will come to another box with 2 other plugs on it. one plug with 4 wires goes to the EZ lock the other plug has 3 wires IIRC. the plug with 3 wires has a red (power) , black (ground) and a white wire that goes to the ignition. Snipping the white one will allow the latch to operate with the car running and will silence the horn. Be aware if your not latched in properly the alarm will not sound
motoman

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's