Motability in the news again

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Motability in the news again

Postby Scooterman » 07 Dec 2018, 17:34

The DWP needs to open up the market up and introduce competition.

Motability need to be made to compete on a level playing field with other car companies for disabled persons custom.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... 17m-salary
Scooterman

Re: Motability in the news again

Postby Burgerman » 07 Dec 2018, 20:45

Anyone using that motability lease scheme is an idiot or has more money than anyone needs.

Take a drive from wheelchair van like many of us on here need. For eg the cheapest one with fully lowered floor, and a side ramp/lift is the VW colarado. Its around 70K with all the options we need. Thats about 30K deposit or more on he motability scheme, and all your £55 a week mobility allowance for the 5 year lease (soon over) and then you own NOTHING! And so start all over.

So £55 x 52 weeks, x 5 years + 30k deposit = £43k spent! And after 5 years you are starting from scratch. That is CRAZY.

Or buy a US one, as I did brand new, delivered, and ready to go with all tax/rebates/tie down, hand controls, zero VAT and ZERO car tax or import duties, special test, convert to UK legalities, registration, and delivery for 40K today. (30k when I did it). After 5 years, its yours. After 10 years its still yours, has residual value, and you also saved another 13.2k in mobility allowance. Your 10 year old van may be like mine as new if you look after it, so can be sold for good money, + your saved 13.2k towards another new IMPORT... TWICE!!!

10 YEARS of Motability van = 86k
10 YEARS on driving your imported, from new, 40K (30k in 2006) and you still have the 10 years of your £55 a week saved! With say 5 to 10K of value still in YOUR van. At least in my case. Thats 28.6K mobility allowance + 10K residual saved on top. That will get you another brand new US imported one free...

My van pictured recently, is now 12 years old, and just as clean and new inside. Its unblemished, still smells new! 12k miles. Was 30k paid in full in 2006. Since I got 15K for my PREVIOUS decade old one!

I may add that since its MINE, for good, at half price, I can fit fancy rims, and RUNFLAT Pirelli P-zero low profile tyres, and make it look cool, drive way better, and not worry about punctures.

Motobility? You have to be completely bonkers!
Attachments
D8E_0819.JPG
wheels.jpg
van4-april-2014.jpg
D8E_0949+.jpg
van2560-3.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 07 Dec 2018, 20:58

Inside, 11 or 12 years old remember? New carpet overlay fitted, to save the unmarked original.

If you buy new, half price from the US, and look after it, then you can have a van like this, for 12 years (so far) that still looks literally as new, even the engine bay, wheels, inside. Thats less than the DEPOSIT that Motability want, over a short 5 year lease. And its yours for good.

Its the same as owned V rented houses. One looks tatty, isn't looked after and you have no value when you move out. The other looks good BECAUSE ITS YOURS! and you look after it. And it has value after you stop renting it... This is the difference between those that understand life and money and those that dont...

30k, div by 12 years so far, means £2500 per year, so far. With at least 10 years, and a goof few thousand £ of value left in it!
Motability cost at 48k per 5 years, is £9600 per year... And its never yours!
Attachments
810_2236.jpg
810_2233.JPG
810_2237.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » 07 Dec 2018, 21:19

Burgerman wrote:Anyone using that motability lease scheme is an idiot or has more money than anyone needs.

!

if only life was so black and white....
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 07 Dec 2018, 21:44

Its not black and white unless YOU make it so. Take charge. And dont buy what you cant afford. Wait, save! Dont allow the world to make you a typical "consumer" .

The difference is not small.
The motability DEPOSIT for a 5 year lease minimum, is https://www.gmcoachwork.co.uk/drive-fro ... e-colorado
29 grand! Plus 5 years at 59 pounds a WEEK! Another 16K on top. And its STILL not yours! You give it back 5 years later.
Thats 45K at least (55 is closer) every 5 years. And it does not include the options you will need or want! Or the tie down, or hand controls, etc Realistically the deposit will be 40K. 29k is the starting point. But even ignoring this:

Remember that doing it my way, your TOTAL cost is 30K in 2006 and 40 today. And you are done! And 12 years later its still mine and as good as new. And still some money or lots of life in it yet! Realistically is 30K over 15 to 20 years.

I cant see that motability makes ANY sense at all. Unless you are the type that wants things before you can afford them. And then once on that path you will always struggle and be poor. NOBODY can realistically afford to pay motability prices. Its easy to keep a car as new if disabled, since we tend to do very few miles. So leasing makes no sense.

Summary...
For 10 years motability with a lowered floor drive from wheelchair van with basic options, not including tie down or hand controls, £90k.
For 15 years, 135k...
For 12 years so far in an imported US van that I own, 30K all in. 2k on servicing, and fancy wheels. And it's as good as new and better in some ways, and still will be in another 5 years... By which time that daft lease scheme will be over 150k!!! Meaning I could buy 4 more new vans. czy

Which is why people end up poor. Bad life choices. Not low income. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8456

The Motability scheme enables disabled people to lease adapted cars using their enhanced mobility disability benefits – either disability living allowance or its successor, the personal independence payment. It currently helps about 614,000 people, many of whom would otherwise struggle to afford a vehicle.

Thats is marketing bull. It is the thing that makes disabled people POORER so they can never ever afford to buy a vehicle. It workes out 3 to 4x MORE EXPENSIVE to use this "help". Only those made of money can afford to use motability. I cant afford to run 4 cars. In other words, get it NOW, pay 4x more. Thats the typical poor persons mentality. Bad life choices. Those are the people using rented sofas, rented washing machines in rented housing and this, and other schemes that allow them to have what they cant yet afford is WHY they are having to use credit etc.

If you are on limited income its even MORE important to be able to add up! Theres 3 types of people in the world. Those that can add up, and those that cant.
Actually that was a joke about "understand binary" but never mind)
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's