Renault Kangoo mystery switch

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Renault Kangoo mystery switch

Postby greybeard » 02 Apr 2019, 16:37

Recently acquired a 2009 registered Kangoo, converted by Constables Open Road. There was no paperwork regarding the conversion and I can't find any current links to Constables. I think they may have folded.

Twice the battery has drained on it when unused for 3 or 4 days. Obviously there is a short or something switched on that I don't know about. I had a really good look over the car and have found a small switch (see photo) on the nearside tailgate pillar which was in the ON position. I had not noticed it before. I have no idea what this switch does but I suspect it was this that was draining the battery. Anyone know what the switch controls, please? Ideally I would like to ask the converter. Has anyone got a working link for Constables Mobility?

switch.jpg
greybeard

Re: Renault Kangoo mystery switch

Postby LROBBINS » 02 Apr 2019, 19:30

That switch doesn't exactly match the switches on our Kangoo (dropped floor and kneeling suspension), but I suspect it's the same as a switch in both our Kangoo and newer VW Caddy. It activates solenoids that release retractable front tie down belts. If left on it definitely WILL drain the battery - we did this once at the Florence airport and once at the Rome airport and came home to a dead car. Both airport garages had a booster for jerks like us who leave something on.
LROBBINS

Postby greybeard » 02 Apr 2019, 22:16

Thank you Lennie. Makes sense.
greybeard

Postby wheelinghome » 03 Apr 2019, 15:18

I had this switch on one of my old constable conversion vans.

It drained the battery on countless occasions! Started carrying a portable jumpstarter as a result.

If you don't need to use the tie-down straps/clamps (as in pulling them out to attach to your wheelchair) you can just pull the blade fuse out that runs this switch. We did that from time to time when we knew we wouldn't be using the tiedown clamps for a while because the AA guy reckoned it was drawing amps even when switched off.

Our fuse was in the internal fuse box by the steering wheel and we cross-referenced the fuses to the standard owners manual to work out which the extra one was. You can also double check to make sure that little red LED doesn't illuminate when you switch the switch ON.

Yes. Constables have gone out of business now. I think my current van was one of the last of their conversions and they did a much better job. It has a full winch system with remote and a proper isolator switch so I have had no problems with this one.
wheelinghome

Postby greybeard » 03 Apr 2019, 21:41

Thank you for the response. I will be pulling the fuse. Don't want to ruin a brand new battery - if I haven't already done so!
greybeard

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's