Need Input on Vehicle Transfer Seat

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Re: Need Input on Vehicle Transfer Seat

Postby Burgerman » 14 Aug 2019, 23:47

They are crap as a short term one. Slow, hard work, and difficult. I tried one in the spinal injuriries unit in 97. Those that buy them tend to not go out because thats easier than the fight. Ask people that try this. And ask those that just transfer into the car manually. In the end they all give up. All I can suggest is TEST FIRST. Then you will get it. :fencing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 15 Aug 2019, 00:48

Well, since I have paused driving myself, I am doing manual transfers into the front passenger's seat now. (I can get myself into the driver's side... and stand up using a hand hold on the driver's door above the hinge.) I can't on the passenger's without assistance primarily with my feet/legs getting past the A pillar, and standing up because I have no hand grip where I need it on the right. I think I've come up with a hand grip but remains untried... a piece of 2 x 12 lumber inserted between the seat and the B pillar allows me to push straight up to standup.

Note: to stand up... I can use either of 2 techniques.
1) a hand grip forward and up... to pull myself up as I push up with feet
2) a push off point beside my hip to push straight up as I push up with feet.
If the angles are wrong, it doesn't work. Feet must be in under me. I often reverse a cane to hook under knee to position feet.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 15 Aug 2019, 10:24

And in 12 months? 3 years? 5 years?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 15 Aug 2019, 17:50

MS is Progressive.
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 15 Aug 2019, 19:23

Yes. Thats why I said think about a few years ahead. Not today. Dont throw 6k away on a short term and dificult to do solution. Spend it on the worst case scenario. No not dead, just before that! :problem:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 16 Aug 2019, 00:01

I think a adapted seat might be useful for someone who condition is not expected to progress. I'd like to have a power seat... that would move straight back. If I can find OEM for small money.
flagman1776

Postby flagman1776 » 24 Jan 2020, 20:55

I had a difficult time getting up to transfer from passenger's front seat in my auto to a WC to get into Dr's office, home after. I have seen seat mounted shelf/devises that would be helpful. To stand up from any seat / chair, I need to get my feet directly under me so I'm pushing straight up. My good right hand can either push up of the seat, if there's a hand hold OR pull forward and up like a grab bar opposite like in my bathroom. On the driver's side, I grab the open car door near the hinge to pull myself up. On the passenger's side, I have run the window down and with carer holding the door open, used that. Somehow, we just couldn't get it sorted last trip. sitting on the very edge of the seat, the car door sill just kept my feet too far out.

I saw a very interesting devise while web surfing and can't find it now... covered just the door sill... ((( SIGH )))

PS yes. A van conversion is coming... but not until I'm ready to quit driving.
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jan 2020, 21:15

Why would you want to quit driving?

Its super easy to drive into a van in a chair, straight to the steering wheel. Turn key, and go! Hand controls, still sat in your chair. Unless your stupid dog decides thats the best place for him. Its way, way, easier than anything you are doing now! The time you need it is now, not later. Decent chair, and van. You will wonder what the hell you were waiting for.

You press one button on a keyfob. Van opens the door, lowers the vehicle, and lowers the ramp... You just drive in. And one press releases the chair when you wanna get out, and another opens the door/ramp again. Takes around 15 secs in total. No exertion, no falling risk.

Download first before play... http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/ramp.mp4
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 24 Jan 2020, 21:19

I don't want to quit driving but have very limited function in right foot, right hand. If I get so I can't manage foot pedals anymore, that will leave only one hand.
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jan 2020, 21:22

You only NEED one hand. You can even drive by joystick. Theres many different adaptive control systems out there where one hand is enough. Even NO hands or feet, as long as you have normal neck function is possible. You need to see an expert. They come to you normally.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 24 Jan 2020, 22:42

Why would I want to go to a Wheel Chair Van when the auto I already own can do? I'm looking for a smaller version of the slide and ride.
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jan 2020, 23:30

You already explained how hard it was above, and how likely you are to end up on the floor if anything goes wrong?

when the auto I already own can do?

And it wont get easier.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 25 Jan 2020, 18:54

If I am planning long term, I will be unable to drive myself and the money for a joy stick drive will be wasted.
flagman1776

Postby flagman1776 » 25 Jan 2020, 21:58

Surfing HC adapted vehicles for S. O. to drive. In the US, probably a Chrysler/Dodge minivan. Her brother is a used car dealer in an area where there's bigger selection.
flagman1776

Previous

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's