Bad Penny

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Bad Penny

Postby Scooterman » 22 Feb 2022, 08:48

Hi,
On the off chance that you remember my username… I’m sorry I’ve been away from the site so long. Did you think I was deaded? But seriously I hope you’re all okay, or at least as okay as can be…

The reason I dropped off the radar suddenly was because I felt I was spending too much on the forum and I needed to concentrate 100% on finding somewhere new to live, in a cheaper part of the country, cos I wanted to get out of rented accommodation. And I knew if I stayed involved in the forum I would get distracted into starting new mob projects. Because mob projects are fun and interesting, and looking for a house is tedious and boring (unless perhaps you’re a woman).

Also house hunting in a new area means learning the area and then finding a suitable property (and I’m quite fussy about what I want). And it can be such an faff travelling long distances using public transport (cos of connection delays), and finding available accessible overnight accommodation. I used property websites and google maps/street view to prune out unsuitable properties. And occasionally some estate agents (realtors) have VR viewing on listings which is really cool but memory hungry.

I was looking for 2-bed bungalows, the second bedroom to store mob equipment and have a small indoor workbench with small vice, hobby pillar drill, bench grinder, etc. I didn’t particularly want a flat (apartment) because of being leasehold, the ground rent, and most likely no garden. But the biggest obstacle I found with bungalows was doorways which I didn’t even consider. Normal width doorways (both internal and uPVC external) are really too narrow for a wheelchair or wheeled frame, and I’m really clumsy! Also many hallways were really too narrow as well. And some properties were on a really steep plot or had lots of steps up. And I also wanted to be near a local convenience store and bus stop.

I looked at quite a few properties and put in an offer on two which were rejected.

There’s lots more I could say about my property hunting exploits. Me and the salsa and the seagulls even slept on weymouth beach one night! That was bleeding agony and a long long night.

Anyhow there’s no point me banging on about my house hunting exploits because in mid 2020 I had a stoke, which brought everything to a halt. I went to bed as per normal on Sunday night and woke up not per normal on Monday morning.

That has also delayed me rejoining the forum as I used to touch type but couldn’t anymore cos of my right hand. Although that’s no real excuse cos I know some of you haven’t even got full use of one hand. But after the stroke I just lost interest. Prior to the stroke my original intention was to rejoin the forum once I was settled in a new property. Well that never happened did it! I’m still in the same old 1-bed flat.

Anyhow I won’t bang on about my medical probs, you guys have got enough of your own.

That’s basically it. I’ve gradually got more use of my RH side and need to get back into it. I used to really enjoy being part of the forum and could have rejoined sooner. But the longer I left it the harder it was. It’s like with neglected friendships or arguments, the longer you leave them the harder it is to break the ice and come back. But I can still remember most of your names! So I’ve not been gone so long. Just a dog’s watch really ;)

I’ve drafted out similar guff to this on numerous occasions with the intention of posting it, but every time I’ve deleted it.

I did think of guys during covid and wondered whether it got any of you, seeing as many of you were/are probably high risk. I made a point of not even visiting the forum anonymously, as I didn’t think it proper to snoop without saying hello, so I’ve got a lot of catching up to do. I have had a quick gander before posting this and am pleased most of you are still around. :thumbup:
Scooterman

Re: Bad Penny

Postby LROBBINS » 22 Feb 2022, 09:05

Welcome back.
LROBBINS

Postby greybeard » 22 Feb 2022, 12:04

Good to see you back.
greybeard

Postby Scooterman » 22 Feb 2022, 13:15

Cheers guys much appreciated :thumbup: :thumbup:
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 22 Feb 2022, 13:50

So has the house hunting also stopped permanantly?
As nothing really changed that?
Its not an either or thing! Both is fine.

But the biggest obstacle I found with bungalows was doorways which I didn’t even consider. Normal width doorways (both internal and uPVC external) are really too narrow for a wheelchair or wheeled frame, and I’m really clumsy!

The LA will pay for brand new wider doorways indoor and external. Just get assessed. But you must be the property owner. Also disabled bathrooms and other things as needed.

I had a 2 bed bungalow with narrow doors and corridoors. Now it doors are all 900mm or wider. And it has a wetroom. Bigger extended kitchen, extended bedroom, and 4 of them. The LA didnt pay for all of that but did fund the essential bits.

If you look for longer you should also find one thats already been modded.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 22 Feb 2022, 15:25

Hi BM, I really pleased you're still alive and kicking (no offence about the latter). Cos of your age and weight (due to paralysis) I thought covid would get you. I thought one of your carer's might catch it and bring it home to you.

No the house hunting hasn't stopped permanently. I'm a bit better and bit brighter now than I was and plan to start looking again. In the early days I was resigned to staying where I am as it's level access and wheelchair accessible. Funny you should say about adaptions, because the LA ripped out the bath in my flat and installed a wet room for me shortly after moving in. But I thought that was only because it was a LA flat, not private. (It already had wider doorways and raised power points). For a private home I thought the LA might do the bathroom but I didn't realise they can do doorways. I shall bear that in mind.

A lot of the bungalows I looked at were old, and the owners have had the old wooden frames replaced with cheap chunky uPVC frames which narrows the external doorways. Also uPVC patios doors which have a raised guide rail on the floor which would bug the life out of me haven't to bump over in the WC everything, or lift my frame over. I'm not criticising them, cos it is there home. it's just I didn't realise how unliveable a lot of regular homes are for mobility compromised people.

Fortunately the above reason (my level access flat) and already having mob equipment is the reason I was able to get discharged from hospital ASAP. My stoke has affected my righthand side but I was fortunate compared to some of the poor b'stards on the small stroke ward. I can still live independently (with a little help) but at least two of them on the 4-bed ward will need 24hr care. A stroke can be like your bike accident, one minute a person is fine and the next minute (a little more mins with a stroke) they can be half brain dead.

I shouldn't go on about the stoke cos you guys are far more disabled than me. I'm more of an invalid, who can still get around indoors with a rollator or Zimmer frame. But need powered mobility outdoors.

I wish Rightmove and On the Market, had filter boxes for wheelchair accessible properties. Maybe I might be lucky ands find a detached granny annex in the grounds of big house. If it was open plan I wouldn't need a 2-bed place. If I had your mindset and drive I would buy a plot of land and have a small bespoke place built. I know you could do something like that cos you have a good brain. But I couldn't.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 22 Feb 2022, 20:59

Its easier to get all kinds of help if you own the property. All he stuff you had done already at least. And then stuff that you cannot do to someone elses property.

Its not fast though. You may need to buy. Then get some emergency mods done (think large hammer) to do the very minimum so you can survive. Dont do more as they will then say you dont need the fixes...
Then get assessed by a expert on your side. Then get a huge list of wants and needs typed out and get a physio/ot / council to assess your needs and go through your list. Then they will get 3 or 4 builders etc to give you quotes. But expect a years fight. They will cover many things. But not all. I practically rebuilt my own place but it also cost me a fair bit out of pocket. But around a third was paid towards all of this. But I had a bigger plan. Get its cost included in any mortgage. All takes a bit of organising.

But now I have everything organised inc making 6 doors wider, redecorating, removing 2 walls, building a bigger and better brand new kitchen, extending my bedroom by 5 meters along with the whole rear of the property. Adding a wet room. Sorting out ramps, drive, new kitchen units and replastering and making everything as new. Also grants avvailable for free insulation, new central heating, wall insulation, etc. It all takes time.

When you look at a bungalow imagine it finished and practically rebuilt. Because thats what will end up happening.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 23 Feb 2022, 16:17

Thanks BM that's all good advice. When I view I look past the decor but as you say I need to visualise it remodelled as an accessible property, not as it is. Most agents include a floorpan with the listing which helps. Although it doesn't give any clues to internal floor levels or garden slopes etc. Although you can usually see the that stuff from the listing photos, or google maps.

This was one accessible bungalow I came across in my price range, it's been on RM for ages. Although the front door looks too narrow but could be widened I would imagine? But the internal doorways look WC accessible. I spoke to the agent but never viewed it cos the back garden was inaccessible but worse than that the driveway past the front door was owned by a big property a few hundred yards away. And they would have the right to park a bleeding great van right outside the front of the bungalow, likewise at the side of the bungalow. I think that is the reason it's been on the market for about a year. When doing some digging online I worked out that land it is on was owned by the big house up the hill and I would guess the bungalow was built as a granny annex? But granny/dad is now hanged (sorry no offence to any relatives) https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... otoCollage
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 23 Feb 2022, 16:25

PS: That was on the Isle of Wight, but I've changed my mind about moving to the island. It's too hilly and too far from relatives. I'm going to have a better look at Weymouth and book accommodation instead of winging it and discovering to my horror that there's no accommodation available.
Scooterman

Postby steves1977uk » 24 Feb 2022, 00:07

Welcome back SM! :thumbup:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Scooterman » 25 Feb 2022, 15:54

Hi Steve, sorry for the late reply I've been trying to recover the scooter's 180Ah lithium pack hanged https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... 64#p184064

I'm really pleased to be back, I've missed you guys! cheers
Scooterman

Postby wheelinghome » 26 Apr 2022, 12:05

Good to see you're ok scooterman. I assumed Covid may have got you. We didn't interact much on here but I did buy some ti-lite casters off you which I'm still rolling on so the bearings were good as you mentioned.
wheelinghome

Return to Introduce Yourself!