New to powerchairs, hope to modify

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

New to powerchairs, hope to modify

Postby unstresst » 20 Aug 2012, 04:41

Recently got my first powerchair, a used Quickie Freestyle M11.
This was a true 'godsend'........I dearly love being out and roaming about but since accident in '85
my walking ability was severely limited
--------------
So far I've bought new batteries and new tires--(solid foam-filled).
--------------
The front caster housing needs bearings.-(for vertical shaft)
Is it possible to determine what bearings to order WITHOUT dissasembling the caster assembly?

As for accessing the vertical shaft, I can't get to the top nut.....there's 2 small screws that refuse to loosen,
even after WD 40 and hammer taps
--------------
The Quickie's range on a full charge is appx 5 miles.
Is it possible to increase this?
-------------
It takes 4 hours to fully recharge.
Is it possible to speed this up?
-------------
unstresst

Re: New to powerchairs, hope to modify

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2012, 13:38

Mmm...

Well that chair can take group 24 or 22nf batteries.
And there are good and bad batteries. But the only ones you should fit are MK brand group 24. 73Ah ones.
If you have smaller ones, or other makes fitted then you will struggle with range, and they will soon die and need replacement.

Can they charge faster? Yes. Can they fully charge in 4 or 5 hours? No.
It takes around 8 to 12 hours to fully charge a deep cycle Gel battery with a small mobility charger. Which you should do every night - over night. When the charger says full, they are not! And they are still charging, albeit slowly. You can put most of the power back fast. Faster still with a better connection and a higher Amp charger, but the last bit takes hours and hours. And needs to happen at least every couple of days.

That chair has an extremely small 50 amp controller, and 2 pole (weak) motors that are not very efficient. So range will not be great.

Foam filled tyres give bad comfort, but also are harder to push, so range suffers slightly.

Caster bearings are available on sunrise parts site, at least the part number is, your dealer can order them. Or you will need to dissassemble...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself!