newbie wants to make custom riser

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

newbie wants to make custom riser

Postby kevint78 » 29 Jan 2014, 18:36

I really would like to make a version of this but i want a higher lift, like a non wheelchair person has advantage of ladder!!!
I want to go up to the soffits on my bungalow.
height shopper.jpg
height shopper.jpg (142.27 KiB) Viewed 4252 times

has anybody attempted anything similar?
i would welcome any suggestions comments, i reside in east essex so anyone who might want to talk please contact me.
kevint78

Re: newbie wants to make custom riser

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jan 2014, 22:19

Anything is possible. But at the expense of the rest of the chairs capability. Its all about your priorities. I wont have a seat riser at all. It adds weight, takes up valuable space that is better used for bigger batteries or lower C of G.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rollingcowboy » 30 Jan 2014, 10:28

I have a scissors seat elevator that goes up 9"
it is one of the best things I have added - I use 10 or 15 times a day
I would not want to go over the 9" though - feels vulnerable to tipping up there!
my chair is narrow and sits on soft air filled tires so that adds to the unstable feeling
rollingcowboy

Postby kevint78 » 30 Jan 2014, 14:20

I understand what you are saying Burgerman, but thats the whole point having a chair just for a specific need. Dont you yourself have a day chair and a 'dirty' chair and also another i believe i read some where. :roll: so what i'm saying is i want a 'ladder' that i can keep in the garage for those jobs that sometimes come along. Just thought some one could tell me X chair would be ideal for base, y chair could provide pistons, z chair for scissor lift etc etc or win the lottery and go buy BMXSPECIAL chair ........
kevint78

Postby kevint78 » 30 Jan 2014, 14:24

Burgerman wrote:Anything is possible. But at the expense of the rest of the chairs capability. Its all about your priorities. I wont have a seat riser at all. It adds weight, takes up valuable space that is better used for bigger batteries or lower C of G.

Not very helpful comment at all its not about that you dont want this chair its about how and what would i need to achieve one for me .......
kevint78

Postby Burgerman » 30 Jan 2014, 14:33

Well basically you would need some kind of folding mechanism or fork truck type arrangement.

There was a link posted here about someone that wasn't disabled that turned a powerchair into a small fork lift truck for his workshop.

I cant find it at the moment. But it would do what you want. But would leave you with a powerchair that's not much good as a normal powerchair.

Found it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBA0vjwGJaQ

Imagine this with say the forks facing the other way with your seat on them. There's no way to get you up to gutter height with any stability, without something similar.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby kevint78 » 30 Jan 2014, 19:35

Burgerman wrote:Well basically you would need some kind of folding mechanism or fork truck type arrangement.

There was a link posted here about someone that wasn't disabled that turned a powerchair into a small fork lift truck for his workshop.

I cant find it at the moment. But it would do what you want. But would leave you with a powerchair that's not much good as a normal powerchair.

Found it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBA0vjwGJaQ

Imagine this with say the forks facing the other way with your seat on them. There's no way to get you up to gutter height with any stability, without something similar.

Thank you for that burgerman any sugestions on what type of motor/winch for fork lift and what base could i use?
kevint78

Postby Burgerman » 30 Jan 2014, 23:22

Not really, I never built a fork truck yet. You might try asking that guy that already did it. You should be able to email him I think.

Possibly a winch motor as used on off roaders would do the trick. The rest is fabricated I think. 3x1 box, pulleys, bearings? And a few afternoons figuring it out.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sacharlie » 04 Feb 2014, 04:06

rollingcowboy wrote:I have a scissors seat elevator that goes up 9"
it is one of the best things I have added - I use 10 or 15 times a day
I would not want to go over the 9" though - feels vulnerable to tipping up there!
my chair is narrow and sits on soft air filled tires so that adds to the unstable feeling

What scissor lift did you use? Operated thru joystick or wired direct?
sacharlie

Postby rollingcowboy » 04 Feb 2014, 05:38

the lift is home made
used actuator and slide from tdx tilt for the lower portion, linear bearing at the top was from a different chair tilt
it was a lot of work - but still works
needs to be rebuilt using steel and not aluminum

see this port
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1859
(the first link to the pictures doesn't work, go down to the second link)
rollingcowboy

Postby sacharlie » 04 Feb 2014, 05:54

Nice work!
sacharlie

Postby kevint78 » 16 Jul 2014, 17:53

Ok peeps i finally did it wanted to post the pictures. i brought a secondhand F55 off of ebay stripped it down to bare chassis and batteries. I had to replace one of the front castor forks. brought aluminium box to keep weight down enough for height and braces etc used plenty of nuts and bolts because i cant weld! Electric winch and used an old wheelchair frame for seat. no too bad i think.
costs £500 for chair £50 for hoist around £300 for aluminium and quite alot on nuts and bolts. only got stills but it works. probably could of done with a small amount of extra ballast on back i under estimated how fat i've become! wheels slip a little on slopy uneven ground. but surprisingly it is pretty stable!

for some reason the files are too big cant post phot's i will ask the man what to do
kevint78

Postby Burgerman » 17 Jul 2014, 01:18

You need to either post the images off site, to one of many places and link, or resize them to say 1000 pixels and post them here!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself!