Brittany, long time lurker, finally ready

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Brittany, long time lurker, finally ready

Postby sourstraw » 25 May 2014, 03:01

One more crazy american has joined your group. I'm Brittany, 30, married mom of one witty six-year-old girl.

My interests have been building and driving fast cars since I was 15, racing in many forms, mainly European cars. My husband founded a company in 1998 designing and manufacturing performance BMW parts, that's how we first met. It took me a mistaken marriage and a few dozen more cars before we ended up married and crazy happy.

My other hobbies include cooking, reading, firearms and shooting sports, home audio and entertainment, I am also an adrenaline junkie.

My spinal issues began when I was 15. It's a really long story I am happy to share over PM but basically I've had four back surgeries and most recently I decided to have a Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted to help manage some of my peripheral neuropathy. The nerve pain is in both legs. As far as my ability, I can walk with a walker or cane but bear too much weight on them. I can do that for 2-5 minutes before the pain is unbearable. I take enough pain medications to kill a horse which helps roughly 30% of my pain. I began using a chair about eight months ago. If it weren't for that I wouldn't be able to have a life outside of bed at all. I realize I am lucky to have regained bladder control and that I can stand even for a few minutes, I just wanted to share why I use a chair, not trying to minimize anyone else's condition or injury. My condition stems from hereditary conditions and will continue to get worse.

My husband has been awesome, I lost bladder control overnight just five weeks after our wedding. He has been by my side through it all and I am glad I decided to date one of my guy friends... Despite losing my career and all the things that used to make up my life, I have been finding new interests and sources of happiness. As you can probably tell, this is pretty new to me so forgive me if anything I've said seems ungrateful. I still get to live vicariously through my husband's builds, although I can no longer turn wrenches or crawl under a car like I used to. I can still drive some and that brings me immense joy, but nothing comes close to being able to say yes when my daughter asks me to do something with her.

Brittany
sourstraw

Return to Introduce Yourself!