Checking in and questions

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Checking in and questions

Postby worcswoman » 26 Sep 2014, 19:45

Hello
I have been 'stuck indoors' for around 8 months, having seen my ability to walk independently slowly wane. I have a diagnosis of Mitochondrial Disease which is affecting my eye/balance/co-ordination such that I am unable to walk outside more than a few yards before my 'control' shuts down. I can manage a bit with a quadstick and holding on hard to hubby's hand, when he is around to go anywhere (extremely rare).

I tried an electric wheelchair and convinced myself that I could use it but the vibration screwed up my eyes and balance, it was a Karma Falcon chair. We ended up selling it for a massive loss with the polythene wrappers still on. posting.php?mode=post&f=4&sid=fd344bfdf51fed0c25f5d460c9dc1df1#

I am currently waiting for PIP assessment but not holding my breath, either to be seen within the next 6 months or to get any benefits. I don't have a hospital consultant on board as my condition is quite rare and I have to wait a number of months yet to even get seen for the first time. I can't get a wheelchair assessment since I can get around indoors, albeit my touching surfaces to keep the messages flowing to my control system.

All very frustrating and isolating, so I am looking at ways to get back with the human race or even across the road to Tesco for a bottle of milk...
I am trying to work out what type of chair or scooter would be best for smoothing out the vibration so that my eyes cope with going along. So far I have a list of Meyra MC3i or their Optimus chairs, VanOs Airide and Puma 40, and then TGA Breeze 4 and Horizon Mayan scooters. I will have to use a lapbelt to stay put am wondering if anyone else out there has similar problems or if anyone has any accumulated wisdom on which chair might be a good bet. I plan to hire where possible for a week or so to try them but would apprieciate any guidance or thoughts.
worcswoman

Re: Checking in and questions

Postby greybeard » 26 Sep 2014, 22:25

Hi. I have a TGA Breeze4. You would not be able to get your bottle of milk with one. Much too large for Tescos. I'm unfamiliar with the other scooter but if it's similar to the TGA it is going to be too large for shopping whether or not it cuts vibration.
greybeard

Postby scootntootn » 26 Sep 2014, 22:57

Too bad about buying something you couldn't use. There are companies renting out scooters in the UK. Maybe you could try out one or two?
scootntootn

Postby worcswoman » 27 Sep 2014, 09:35

Thanks for those replies, I think if I had more finance I would get a Breeze S4 and either a Meyra or Excel Airide powerchair, two sets of needs which need two different vehicles.
I am planning on hiring a scooter in the next week or so and will have to take it from there.
worcswoman

Postby Burgerman » 28 Sep 2014, 01:35

Make sure you get one with pneumatic tyres, and lower the pressures to about half the recommended pressure.
And try to get one with as "big" tyres as possible, and even suspension.

All of that will reduce vibration.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby worcswoman » 28 Sep 2014, 08:05

Great thanks, I was looking at the tyres, big as possible and pneumatic, but didn't think f the possibility of lowering the pressure by that much. Here in the UK that looks lke the Puma 40, Excel (VanOs) Airide or possibly one of the German Meyra chairs, their Optimus 2 looks interesting.
With no benefits in the pipeline I am going to hire for a week and then see what we can do.
worcswoman

Postby Burgerman » 28 Sep 2014, 11:18

The bigger the diameter the smoother the ride.

The bigger the tyre cross section, the more sidewall, and the lower the pressure can be. This gives more isolation from vibration, and uses a bit more battery power (wastes some range). It also wears tyres out a bit quicker. But if need must its worth the compromise. I do this myself.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Telynores » 17 Nov 2014, 17:17

Hi Worcester lady. I have two Meyra chairs, both bought on ebay, both under two years old, got two for £2000. I'm guessing that your dealing with Peter's Bond and Bilcliffe, in Cheltenham, great guys, very helpful, no hard sell but simply too expensive. I tried my damndest to get a chair built as a 'project' at several universities, in the end had to get out and so grateful for ebay. My Meyra search actually began when I found an old post from a member here selling a Smart chair in around 2008.
Hope you have the same luck I did and get out soon - if not already!!!!!!
Telynores

Return to Introduce Yourself!