Hello all

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Hello all

Postby smithy2389 » 14 Mar 2016, 10:10

Hello,

My name is David Smith. I'm 27 and I have cerebral palsy. I have had an electric wheelchair either part or full time for 24 years. I started off using a very old 2mph wheelchair with bald tires when I was at nursery. When I was 5 my parents got me a private indoor-outdoor chair again cannot remember its name but had a switch on off button and was the generation before Harrier/Spectra. Had great fun with it smashing my dad's greenhouse etc! Since then I have had a private Spectra, ministry Harrier, ministry Spectra Plus, private Storm 3tt, private GrooveM and private JiveM and private Otto Bock B400. I'm currently using the Jive and the B400. The Jive is my day chair and the B400 is my sports specific chair. I play a sport called Boccia and I'm currently preparing for my 3rd Paralympic games in Rio. I decided to come on here because I'm sick of my Jive being a £8000 disappointment and I am looking to reduce my expenditure on it. My B400 is the opposite it does exactly what I ask/expect of it. I'm happy to review all my chairs that I can remember. I also drive a heavily adapted Sirus Automotive VW Caddy life 1.9 and again can review that if people are interested.
smithy2389

Re: Hello all

Postby Mark » 14 Mar 2016, 10:55

Hi David and welcome,

I would be interested if you did a review of the Sirus Caddy drive-from-wheelchair vehicle. I have the Sirus Switch based on the Fiat Qubo because we needed either my wife or I to be either a passenger or driver. However, my wife can no longer drive so we no longer need the seat swapping option and the Fiat is rather crude and noisy. I would be interested to know how quiet the Caddy is after conversion if you write a review in the adapted vehicles section.

You say that the sports chair (B400) does exactly what you want so it would be interesting if you did write a review in the powerchairs review section about that.

There are many knowledgable and experienced power wheelchair users on this forum who have really helped me improve my powerchairs. If you click on the link at the top of the forum "wheelchairdriver.com" you will find at least a day's worth of reading material related to wheelchairs, useful gadgets, and adaptions.
Mark

Re: Hello all

Postby smithy2389 » 14 Mar 2016, 13:00

Mark wrote:Hi David and welcome,

I would be interested if you did a review of the Sirus Caddy drive-from-wheelchair vehicle. I have the Sirus Switch based on the Fiat Qubo because we needed either my wife or I to be either a passenger or driver. However, my wife can no longer drive so we no longer need the seat swapping option and the Fiat is rather crude and noisy. I would be interested to know how quiet the Caddy is after conversion if you write a review in the adapted vehicles section.

First thing is it depends on the batch because some caddy's come from the domestic section of vw some from commercial. I think mine was commercial as it could do with more sound-proofing. However, as a van its pretty good. It is economical I get 44mpg out of it easily. Even with my extra electric in the rear. Only issue is lack of seats but now they offer fold down seats as extra.
smithy2389

Return to Introduce Yourself!