Greetings earthlings

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Greetings earthlings

Postby cyborg5 » 01 Apr 2016, 19:19

That's my standard introduction whenever I join a new online forum. With an online handle like "cyborg" people generally get a laugh out of it.

In the real world my name is Chris Young and I live in Indianapolis. I have spinal muscular atrophy which is a type of muscular dystrophy. I never walked as an infant. Got my first wheelchair at age 5, power chair at age 10. Last July I just turned 60. For nearly 30 years I've been using an old Rolls Arrow from Invacare. I finally got to the point where I could not use a traditional joystick and was the wheelchair that was nearly 30 years old it was time to get a new one.

The dealer that I've been working with has taken nearly 9 months to give me a new chair. Much of that was waiting on demo equipment mostly light touch joysticks. The first couple that we tried were unusable. Finally came up with a bib mount that I was able to use in a test drive. It's a long story wide the unit that I ended up getting is not working out as well as the test drive unit. Right now I've got a glitch where I can't get the chair out of attendant mode. I posted another message here asking for help on that. I just wanted to post a message here in introductions section to say hi.

Mostly I'm a programmer with a degree in computer science but in the past several years I've been tinkering with electronics on platforms like Arduino and Raspberry Pi. I become somewhat of an expert in infrared remote controls and I've written a library for Arduino that makes it easy to build your own IR remotes. My most recent project is an IR TV remote and Bluetooth device that I operate with just three micro switches that I hold in my right hand. I like the IR functions for TV, cable box, DVR, DVD etc. off of a small oled display of the device. It will then transmit IR signals. It also has a Bluetooth feature that I'm using for switch control on my iPhone 6.

I mentioned that I just turned 60 last July. While some guys deal with aging by purchasing a Ferrari or a motorcycle or getting hair plugs I indulged myself with the purchase of a new 3-D printer. Mostly I've been using it to make enclosures for my electronics projects but is also coming in handy redesigning the bib mount for my joystick.

Here's a link to a blog post about that IR remote/Bluetooth device that I built. Although the Omni I really has IR built-in I did not know that when I purchased it. The Bluetooth module for R-net retails for about $500. I've got about $75 worth of parts in my IR/Bluetooth device. Anyway here's a link to my blog. It not only talks about the device but my long history of various ways I've controlled TV remotes and phones.
http://tech.cyborg5.com/2016/01/20/the- ... -built-it/

You can find more of my technical blog posts at http://tech.cyborg5.com/

I also have a more personal blog about my life and disability at http://mylife.cyborg5.com/

I have a tendency to over compartmentalize things. That's why I have five different blogs. Sometimes they cross over and I never know where to post :-)

Anyway I look forward to participating in this forum. If there's anything I can do for anyone I would be happy to.
cyborg5

Re: Greetings earthlings

Postby Burgerman » 01 Apr 2016, 19:51

You should fit right in!

There are lots like you here.

You need an OEM level programmer for that new chair, the OBP or Dealer tools, are pretty basic.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby cyborg5 » 01 Apr 2016, 21:00

Burgerman wrote:You need an OEM level programmer for that new chair, the OBP or Dealer tools, are pretty basic.

And how do I go about getting one of those? I thought I saw another thread on here about people making their own programming cables but the thread was many pages long and I haven't had time to really go through it and learn what's what.

Can you point me to some threads on webpages that explain what you mean by "OEM level programmer"?
cyborg5

Postby Burgerman » 01 Apr 2016, 21:16

I can tell you here

With Rnet there are 2 levels of programming access.

Dealer level, By handheld device, PC or by On Board Programming. Its the basic level.

OEM level. Only by PC.

Access to all is by a dongle or by OBP it can be set by an OEM level programmer and is BUILT IN so to speak.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself!