Electrify a Sun HT3 handcycle?

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Electrify a Sun HT3 handcycle?

Postby Gary R » 14 Apr 2016, 10:03

This is a very cool board (that's a blatant suck-up but it's true). I had no idea there are people doing this level of modification.

I went another route, one which won't work for many people but is life changing for anyone who can use it. Also, it's damned cheap compared any commercial power chair. $2,600 to build, does 20 mph for 40 miles and goes places unimaginable to most power chair users. Before getting upset about a link to a personal web page, let me say... I don't sell anything... my site doesn't even have contact info... it's only there to help people in need. This chair provides better mobility than a bicycle and takes very little to build.

http://www.garyrin.com/wheelchair/Sun/E ... cycle.html

Here's a video. 20 mph on a bike path at the park, turn 90 degrees into a field without slowing down, up a steep hill and three 90 degree turns into the bathroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdHk8qG ... e=youtu.be

If you can get groceries in a manual chair then this would likely work for you. I don't even drive anymore. I put 1,300 miles on it in the last six weeks. Library, mall, grocery store, park, and tho I'm ashamed to admit it, I even take it to Walmart. I have a major improvement in the works and I'm interested in comments...

Gary
Gary R

Re: Electrify a Sun HT3 handcycle?

Postby Burgerman » 14 Apr 2016, 12:23

Very good. Much lighter and more efficient than a typical scooter. Dont think it works for most of us here though. I wouldnt be able to use one for eg.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Electrify a Sun HT3 handcycle?

Postby Gary R » 15 Apr 2016, 03:23

Burgerman wrote:Very good. Much lighter and more efficient than a typical scooter. Dont think it works for most of us here though. I wouldnt be able to use one for eg.

True, it's not going to fit everyone... but nothing does. This requires is a minimal degree of hand and arm control.

Also, it's nothing like a scooter, no comparison at all, closer to a BMX bicycle. It's a seriously cool chair for anyone it fits. The idea is simple, the mobility of a person on a bicycle combined with the ability to easily get groceries, go to a movie, a park, shopping mall, etc. without assistance. I hope to see at least a few people benefit from the idea.

I've let a few people demo it and they came back with bugs splattered on their teeth. Not sure I want to let anyone else try it out cause it takes too long to clean up the drool. :)

So Burgerman, thanks for the site, the info and the great attitude that has you sharing so much with so many.

Gary
Gary R

Return to Introduce Yourself!