I'm Dave

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

I'm Dave

Postby wakarimasen » 29 Apr 2017, 09:29

My name is Dave and I'm a 69 y/o male residing in Florida, USA. Six years ago a heart attack cost me my toes and kidneys due to loss of blood flow. I also have severe neuropathy in both feet to the extent that even with narcotics I can walk only with moderate to severe pain, tho oddly enough I have some good days when the pain abates to the point that I can walk with only minimal pain.

I was fortunate to have inherited a Pride J6 chair from my 90 y/o father who was not able to use it. A real blessing because I could not afford one. The six wheels (aka casters) and foot rest made the chair near impossible to use in my small home without tearing up the walls and woodwork, so I set about modifying it by removing the front wheels. I found that by merely reversing two steel suspension plates I could do this successfully.

Been using the chair for 3 years now about 70% of the time as I've grown decreasingly dependent on it as a matter of pain avoidance.
wakarimasen

Re: I'm Dave

Postby Burgerman » 30 Apr 2017, 03:59

Hi. You mean increasingly! ;)
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wakarimasen » 11 May 2017, 14:28

Burgerman wrote:Hi. You mean increasingly! ;)

The table the keyboard sits on is too high for this chair so I don't type very well. About every other keystroke is an error.

I came here looking for discussion on powerchair USE but unless I'm mistaken or missed something, mostly what I've seen so far is discussion on parts, equipment and making modifications or replacements. Things like crashing into things, why controllers are so lousy, and other operational issues like those @#$%& rear wheels that turn sideways and act as very effective brakes. Mine drives like a tank and refuses to go in a straight line.

And other inconsequential issues like that. Am I in the wrong place for this kind of discussion?
wakarimasen

Postby Burgerman » 11 May 2017, 15:38

No. You are in the right place if you want to FIX the thing so it doesent drive like a tank, and goes where you tell it. If you just want to say that it does this, fine! But that doesn't help much!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wakarimasen » 12 May 2017, 10:19

Burgerman wrote:No. You are in the right place if you want to FIX the thing so it doesent drive like a tank, and goes where you tell it. If you just want to say that it does this, fine! But that doesn't help much!

Of course not, its just that so much of what I read is beyond my means or capability. There seem to be a lot of engineers here. I've read what you've done and WOW! wish I could do that. I've removed the front wheels (they call them castors) but they're big round balls on cast iron mounts. That prolly added to the stability issue. Had to modify the suspension to do that and I was very lucky only to have to reverse two stamped steel bars and swap sides to make it work. Was blown away that they still fit to holes on both ends.

I've applied to Medicare for a new chair (current one is really torn up due to the way it turns, swinging the backside around in a wide arc, slamming the back into things and tearing up the upholstery) but denied twice so far due to faults on application, so they say. Dealer is helping with application for a third time and thinks I'll get it, unfortunately only a few chairs are approved by Medicare, the only one I marginally like is the Pride Jazzy Elite with 14" wheels. That is a big issue with me because I even get stuck in my carpeted home with these rotten 8" wheels, often having to push with my feet to get started (painful). I don't dare go off of pavement even onto grass or I get stuck. But my real problem is the uneven brick walkway that tree roots heaved up. Even a one inch bump stops it cold and a 1/2" rise will throw the chair into a hard 90 degree turn. This walkway is the best way to go from front to back without going thru the house with dirty wheels tracking crap inside. Hoping that the larger wheels will overcome this problem.
wakarimasen

Postby Burgerman » 12 May 2017, 13:23

They may help. Most of it is down to programming though.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself!