Hi :)

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Hi :)

Postby BrainOnWheels » 30 May 2017, 22:44

Greetings folks!

My name is Mike, and I'm 43 from South East England and I've had Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy since I was 15. As a progressive disease, it eventually confined me to a wheelchair, but I take quite a pragmatic/logical approach to the whole thing choosing to see how to fix issues rather than dwell on them.

I currently use two wheelchairs. An everyday Invacare Mirage electric powered indoor/outdoor (EPIOC) supplied by the local wheelchair service, and a TiLite rigid frame manual chair (purchased by myself) which I use on trips further away when friends/family drive/push. I used to drive a Motability car, but decided to give it up around 10 or so years back because of various health/money/employment changes.

I trained in computer studies (on Unix/Windows), got a job in design (Mac OS), then the Internet arrived! After that died down, I turned my attention to lower level programming (on Linux). I now have experience in PASCAL, COBOL, PHP, Javascript, HTML/CSS, C/C++, Python and am currently working from home writing projects in those last two.

I've been a huge fan of Space all of my life, so currently enjoying the SpaceX wave at the moment. One of my personal projects is prototyping automated solutions for astronomy using cheap components (Raspberry Pi / Arduino chipsets etc). I also own a Prusa i3 Mk2 3D printer which I was able to build from a kit (although it took a few weeks longer than most builds), with OctoPi spooling gcode etc.

Music has also played a massive part in my life. I'm convinced it helped me through my diagnosis early on, from metal to rave, ambient to break-beat, there are few genres I don't enjoy.

As a child of the 70's/80's, I grew up with and really enjoy computer games (BBC Micro upwards). When gaming I use a Windows box for Steam and a PS4. Unfortunately neither get the use that they really should, although having said that, I've just finished Horizon: Zero Dawn, and that game is a full-on work of art 10/10.

Anyway, thanks for this site, and for reading this far :D
---
Mike
Mike
BrainOnWheels

Re: Hi :)

Postby Burgerman » 30 May 2017, 23:03

I am just hoping elon gets men on mars before I die!

Welcome!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 30 May 2017, 23:05

Welcome to the forum Mike! :)

I also used to program on the BBC Micro, I have 13 of them ranging from the Model A to the Master Compact. Never got into programming on the PC though.

Enjoy your stay, we cover almost any topic on here! :)

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 30 May 2017, 23:46

A hazelnut in every bite.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby BrainOnWheels » 31 May 2017, 14:55

Burgerman wrote:I am just hoping elon gets men on mars before I die!

Welcome!

Same here.
Elon seems driven enough to actually achieve that goal, which is really refreshing after watching NASA retire and cancel so many projects/missions over the past several years.
I will never tire from seeing a rocket landing :D
Mike
BrainOnWheels

Postby BrainOnWheels » 31 May 2017, 15:02

steves1977uk wrote:Welcome to the forum Mike! :)

I also used to program on the BBC Micro, I have 13 of them ranging from the Model A to the Master Compact. Never got into programming on the PC though.

Enjoy your stay, we cover almost any topic on here! :)

Steve

Thanks!
13 Micro's?! :shock: That's got to be worth something now!
I really enjoyed mine, but skipped the Archimedes, and moved to the Amiga (cost reasons). A bad move in retrospect as I heard RISC OS was really great for learning. Mind you, RISC OS is now available for the Raspberry Pi... who could have seen that happening! :D
Mike
BrainOnWheels

Postby steves1977uk » 31 May 2017, 20:54

Yep 13! Even new games and hardware are still being made for the BBC. Check out http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/index.php and http://www.sprow.co.uk/bbc/projects.htm

I have an ARM7TDMI Co-Pro with 64MB RAM for my BBCs, as it allows for very large programs to be written in BASIC V.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby BrainOnWheels » 01 Jun 2017, 18:35

steves1977uk wrote:Yep 13! Even new games and hardware are still being made for the BBC. Check out http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/index.php and http://www.sprow.co.uk/bbc/projects.htm

I've used a couple of emulators, but never realised there was still this level of interest in the ol' BeeB. I appreciate that, thanks :)
Mike
BrainOnWheels

Postby steves1977uk » 01 Jun 2017, 21:10

No problem! :)

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby BrainOnWheels » 02 Jun 2017, 15:49

Quick question re: topics.
I've got some questions/proposals about power assist/modding manual wheelchairs. Is there a specific sub forum for that to post too or should I post in "Everything Powerchair". Asking because it's not really a.. powerchair? if that makes any sense :)
Mike
BrainOnWheels

Postby steves1977uk » 02 Jun 2017, 16:29

Everything Powerchair is the main forum area, so that's the best place to post! :)

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby BrainOnWheels » 02 Jun 2017, 16:35

steves1977uk wrote:Everything Powerchair is the main forum area, so that's the best place to post! :)

Steve

Great, cheers Steve :)
Mike
BrainOnWheels

Return to Introduce Yourself!