Burgerman - Site Owner

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Burgerman - Site Owner

Postby bcblair » 11 Aug 2014, 08:23

I'm Blair, I'm 57 years old and live in Georgia USA. I am 5'7" and weigh about 325 pounds. I have several issues such as Arthritis, and other joint and muscle issues. I was forced out of my job in 2001 and have tried to consult since. My loyal client sold out in 2005 and I scrambled to replace them and did OK till 2009. I then had blood clots on my lungs and have been on blood thinners since. The hospital recommended and applied for expedited disability to pay for a nursing home, but 5 years later I am still waiting on that help. I noticed I hadn't done any activities(Concerts, sporting events, traveling, shopping) in 10 years, because I couldn't stand more than 2 minutes or my muscles would cramp up and put me on the ground. So I got a Pride Jazzy 600 xl Power Chair and a Bruno 670 lift. The chair broke down and I can't afford to let others fix it, so I bought a rough used Pride 1120-2000. I have a small amount of money left and have my final appeal coming up soon, supposedly. I hate the 1120-200 and want to fix the Jazzy 600 xl. It had a motor just stop. I fiddled around and got it going , but the next day it stopped again, then again. I took it to the local dealer and he said it was either the controller or the motor and either one was too expensive($1000) to fix and he sold me the 1120-2000 for $500 US. I'll post the info on parts below, just let me know if I need to post that on a different board. Sorry the pics are so big, let me know, if I need to reduce them.

Motor date
Chair serial number?
controller
controller label

Chair as bought in 2011

Eng
bcblair

Burgerman - Site Owner

Postby Burgerman » 11 Aug 2014, 12:31

I took it to the local dealer and he said it was either the controller or the motor and either one was too expensive($1000) to fix and he sold me the 1120-2000 for $500 US. I'll post the info on parts below, just let me know if I need to post that on a different board. Sorry the pics are so big, let me know, if I need to reduce them.

Another clueless idiot or intentional fraud that either hasnt a damned clue how to diagnose a problem or just wants to sell a chair. Trust me this is the normal state of affairs...

This is the wrong forum though. Post this again in the correct forum (Everything Powerchair) and start a new thread and you will likely get some help diagnosing it. But its pretty hard if you dont have a chair in front of you.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Burgerman - Site Owner

Postby bcblair » 12 Aug 2014, 02:55

Burgerman wrote:
I took it to the local dealer and he said it was either the controller or the motor and either one was too expensive($1000) to fix and he sold me the 1120-2000 for $500 US. I'll post the info on parts below, just let me know if I need to post that on a different board. Sorry the pics are so big, let me know, if I need to reduce them.

Another clueless idiot or intentional fraud that either hasnt a damned clue how to diagnose a problem or just wants to sell a chair. Trust me this is the normal state of affairs...

This is the wrong forum though. Post this again in the correct forum (Everything Powerchair) and start a new thread and you will likely get some help diagnosing it. But its pretty hard if you dont have a chair in front of you.

I saw where it goes, after it was already here. I will Split it and put part in the intro and part in Everything Powerchair.
bcblair

Burgerman - Site Owner

Postby bitgit » 02 Jun 2015, 16:03

Hi John,

Great site, and great work - too many items and articles of use here to mention individually. Total admiration for what you've done with your BM2 and now BM3. Not sure over how many years I've visited here and always found it worthwhile. Finally, plunge taken and signed up ...

...chiefly cos I have questions maybe someone can help with (apologies if it's a stupid question or I'm asking it in the wrong forum but ...)

Has anyone managed to identify (& source) the 4 pin "molex like" connectors used for the P&G VR2 bus connections?

In particular, I just want to lash up a breakout-box to monitor the signals between joystick module and the power controller

~Steve
bitgit

Burgerman - Site Owner

Postby Burgerman » 02 Jun 2015, 16:40

You will likely get more answers to that if you start a thread here:

viewforum.php?f=2
Burgerman
Site Admin

Burgerman - Site Owner

Postby poppyblew » 03 Jun 2015, 20:09

Hi. My name is Chris and I live in Somerset, UK. I am 63 and like a previous poster, had polio as a child which left me with a limp and scoliosis. I now have post polio syndrome so have deteriorated in the past 14 years both physically and with respiratory issues. I have used a manual chair which some poor person, usually my partner, had to push as I'm unable to self propel. To save his back, I bought a Pride LX11 about 4 years ago which gets used as necessary. Due to being able to walk around the house, I had to self fund as NHS would only supply a manual.

I do not understand any of the tech talk on here but it's good to have somewhere to come for advice and read the chatty stuff.
poppyblew

Burgerman - Site Owner

Postby Vitolds » 26 Jul 2015, 01:29

Burgerman wrote:.... V8 powered cars............

That's wonderful!
I realized, why I like your forum.

Vitolds

Burgerman - Site Owner

Postby Burgerman » 26 Jul 2015, 09:53

You should read my 20 year old site!

http://www.nitrous.info Your car needs this.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Burgerman - Site Owner

Postby Vitolds » 26 Jul 2015, 12:45

it's fine.
Vitolds

Burgerman - Site Owner

Postby Burgerman » 26 Jul 2015, 12:48

Maybe. But all big V8s work great with nitrous. Extra 200bhp for eg.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Burgerman - Site Owner

Postby rshiverd » 23 Nov 2015, 02:29

Greetings....... I find your site very interesting and informative. I am new to this restricted mobility thing as only since April has my illness ( MS, radiation necrosis, ??? )
has put me in a power chair. As a life long motorhead I see lots of areas for improvement in mobility chairs. I like what you made and your observations on vehicles, chairs and etc. I am a 59 yr old male who resides in Dayton Ohio USA. I retired from our police department in 2-11 after 29 years. My big interests over the years has been hunting,shooting,motorcycles,jeeps ,race cars,horses, tractors,bows ,dogs and kayak paddling. Since needing a chair I have been annoyed several times by getting stuck walking the dog or at the range. My property and mental peace is suffering as I can't even get to most of it because of the terrain. I am now at the point to tackle this chair issue. House and van issues had to be first. I would be interested in conversing with most over most issues , though be aware that I am not a daily internet guy ( it might be a few days before I fire the computer up). Sorry for the size of this post. Thank you for taking the time to make and maintain your site......Rick
rshiverd

Re: Burgerman - Site Owner

Postby Dogsbody » 07 Dec 2016, 03:55

Hi Burgerman and all who come after to say Hello.

I'm Matt, a 39 year old partner and general dogsbody To an amazing lady who uses a Salsa M2 for mobility due to EDS and an L3 lesion.

I've been reading your site since she started using her powerchair and have found it to be informative, get me thinking and planning, and the projects I have followed to a greater or lesser success... (USB power from the charging port was successful for about 48 hours, after 3 adaptors that were rated for 24v I gave in... and found a more solid and permanent solution! that ironically allows a coffee to be made on the go too, but I digress).

Not physically disabled myself, but have experience in certain areas, I met my girlfriend as I was teaching adaptive skiing, I taught her to monoski and she fell many times, one time for me. I fell just the once, not physically..

Just wanted to say hello in your shout out thread.

Based near to Beverley in the East Riding of Yorkshire (what, did I hear you think Humberside?)

I have a few ideas and a few questions that I will pursue another time...

By the way the site is appreciated and please keep it going if you can find the time from everyone on this forum!
Dogsbody

Postby Burgerman » 24 Apr 2017, 13:35

Thanks, I will...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Cal-123 » 10 Nov 2017, 16:26

Hi John,

This is Cal-123 (Adrian), and thank you for re-setting my lost password. I'm in now so I may post!

Those notices that must have been auto-generated by your board "phpBB ©", was what was not letting me use the auto-generated new password. But whatever...thank you much, as I wanted to ask a questing in the forums to gain some info and assistance from you and other members.

Thanks again,

Cal-123
(Adrian)
Cal-123

Postby Burgerman » 31 Dec 2017, 22:44

Those notices that must have been auto-generated by your board "phpBB ©", was what was not letting me use the auto-generated new password.

To generate a new password you must login. And it doesent do auto generated. And there were no new passwords generated anywhere as far as I can see. Your old password was still there. So you must be recieving some automated trawled spam of some kind. But it didnt come from the forum. If it did it would be in the events log.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rollingwalker » 09 Aug 2018, 22:55

i survived a brain anyerism am paralysed on my left side. so i consider myself in my afterlife things have been rcovering slowly over these 8 years. i can actually walk but somewhat resemble john cleese in his ministry of silly walks skits. at this point i am considering how i would like to proceed with my life. i am now retired.... i have decided life is better without,"drama" so for me i will embrace "whimsy" thus a whimsical life style. motorscooters rather than motorcycles. just
walk through the world and do what Wimsey presents on a whim in a very relaxed manner. i need not compete with anything or any one. if it is important for them to win, pull over, let them pass and be rid of them....
rollingwalker

Postby BugBayMx » 06 Nov 2018, 00:33

Hi all, I'm Horacio, quadriplegic, I've been c5 c6 for 20 years now, I want to learn from this site, to prolong my trips in my wheelchair, greetings from sonora México.

I'm sorry for my poor English, Hablo español.
BugBayMx

Postby Charles » 09 May 2023, 00:38

Hi all. I am in the Isle of Wight,18.5st x 6', somehow 70yrs and slowly losing the use of my legs (peripheral neuropathy) and just entering the powerchair world (MobilityPlus + ultra-light auto fold) and already realise the limitations of current chairs - why is 2" climb ability considered enough?
I was overjoyed to discover John's website and agree with his wish list of requirements. Has the BM3 been updated since 2011 which seems to be the latest version as technology has moved on a lot since then? I am no engineer but maybe could find someone to put one together if I had a list of parts. I wonder if any company has taken on board the BM3 design and manufacturing something as versatile? I have pointed MobilityPlus + in the direction of the website so I live in hope. It would be great to see video of one in action.
have fun
Charles

Postby Burgerman » 09 May 2023, 01:52

That chair is still broken. Motor. But I was stuck on a bed for years pretty much all the time with sores. So had to get a Salsa, and a Q700 both rear drive. And modify those lightly. Because I now needed tilt, recine, and legs elevated regularly in order to be able to not get endless repetitive pressure ulcers. So I have not got around to repairing it. But the idea that you will just get someone to "just knock one up" is a non starter. The BM2 yes. The BM3 is highly complex and requires many skills and much knowledge. Its not a simple job and you will need to read at least these 114 pages to stand much chance. And ask when you dont understand stuff... https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... f=2&t=2436

But also that chair is no longer made, and the motors I used are also not available. Others are, and a list of parts cannot happen as most of it is custom, and or eBay, etc. At least its basic frame to modify is needed and again not made. So theres that too. So better to build something different and more modern today. To suit your needs. Plus 16mph sounds great but its too much for a short chair. It needs to be a little longer, and needs rear suspension adding too. he fat tyres take away the vibration but they dont do much for low amplitude shocks at that speed.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby tin pants » 10 Jul 2023, 12:14

hi, I am keith.I had a severe stroke 2 years ago, I currently live in Sheffield England , I was provided with a power chair by the NHS it's given me back some of the freedom, |i have lost with my stroke although my walking has made good progress.
tin pants

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself!