Hello

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Hello

Postby jim777 » 21 Feb 2018, 23:47

Good evening all, my name is Jim and I am from North Gloucestershire, UK

I have a friend who has purchased a nearly new “Drive Sport Rider 8mph Mobility Scooter”, he is an ex biker and wishes to customise his trike, both in appearance and performance.
A local engineering company will fabricate any metal parts required, and will deal with the appearance.
I on the other hand am an ex electronics engineer who now works as a control and instruments engineer for the process industry, but in the past have been an EMC engineer for power electronics / battery systems for aircraft.
I have agreed to help improve it’s off road performance.
1) First off I believe the current batteries (2 x 100Ah) to be damaged as it only has 2 miles range and is supposed to have 30! So these need replacing, but with lead acid or something better?
2) Can the current controller “RHINO2 DS160” be tweaked? It so what can I get out of it? The motor is 1300W.
3) He has indicated that if the above is not enough, he is wining to pay for a custom build. I have suggested that this would mean new motor, controller and batteries with wiring into the existing controls where possible.
I would really appreciate any help and advice for this project, and will post project updates, pictures, drawings etc. to help anybody else in the future.

Regards
Jim
jim777

Re: Hello

Postby Burgerman » 23 Feb 2018, 03:16

Not really sure how to help.

1. Lithium. Requires a lot of learning to make work properly with real advantages. And its no cheap. Theres a pinned lithium thread on the main forum.
2. It can be reprogrammed. You wont gain speed.
3. Not really sure where to start here. Not really sure how to help. Do you have a specific question? I could write a large book.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 28 Feb 2018, 19:56

And its no cheap.

Lithium is expensive...
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 28 Feb 2018, 20:52

Cost per mile in a powerchair.

LEAD
Say 20 miles, x 400 cycles = 8000 miles. Theoretically. But you likely wont get 400 cycles at 100% range...
£440 for 2x grp 24 MKs, means £1.10 per 20 miles. Or £0.05p per mile.

Of course lithium is 5X cheaper... LONG TERM!

Lets say 120Ah, £1000. But 3x better range at 60 miles in place of your 20. But also way better 1500 cycles.
Thats 90,000 miles! So now £0.22 per 20 miles. Or £0.01p per mile. Why do you think no other EV uses lead?

Its FIVE TIMES CHEAPER to have 3x MORE range capability in a powerchair. You may think this maths is wrong. Its not! Its why lead is rediculous today.

Its also why the fastest accelerating production car ever, with massive 620 mile range, and silly 250+ mph, has a 10 year battery guarantee. See specs... https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/roadster

Notice the Tesla electric TRUCK in the background too.

And why before lithium batteries, the best lead powered cars available were crap! Typically the old 10mph milk delivery trucks... Or similar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_float 10mph, 30 miles range. Batteries lasted 2 year to 3 years.

10 mph, 35 miles range, 15 mile recommended max so battery not damaged.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself!