Blue Mountains, Australia scooter user

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Blue Mountains, Australia scooter user

Postby vk2aaf » 07 Sep 2019, 01:46

Hi, I'm Brian, a late 50ish scooter user from Blue Mountains NSW Aus. A drunk driver blew a red light in front of me when I was on a motorcycle some time back & I've had numerous knee surgeries & have recurring back probs.

Took to using a moby about 3 years ago and finding all the limitations of these overpriced pieces of junk. Can't be on my feet for long, but I can manage to load my 80kg scooter in me yoot, one end at a time.

I'm a retired broadcast engineer & self-taught welder, so I can do a few electronic mods & rudimentary fabrication tasks.

My scooter is rated for 40km range, but I never need more than 5-7. Has 2x 45AH 12V lead acid batts, 14.5kg each. Reckon I could do with 25% of the range and convert to LiFePO4 and shave that 29kg pack to about 5kg.

I like to go on bushwalking trails and to botanical gardens, but my moby has no rear suspension and the frame material is crappy 20mm x 20mm x 0.5mm wall square tube. I have broken the frame in a few places & welded it up only to have the frame crack around my welds.

The frame has a separatable rear subframe with the motor/transaxle can detach from the front half with the batteries. I never take it apart for transport so it seemed natural to hinge & spring the rear subframe to address comfort on rough trails and the frame breakage problem.

A non-independent rear suspension makes it less tippy than some 4 wheel independent scooters I've tried.

moby_swingarm_02.jpg

moby_swingarm_03.jpg

Grey tyres are awful, turn an ugly grey/yellow and just scream 'disability,' so I've replaced the medical meats with some pocket bike tyres. Looks much better.

moby_black_tyres.jpg

Next task is to reprogram the speed controller to get a bit more poke out of it. Presently limited to 6km/h, which is scary af when crossing streets without traffic signal protection.

Enjoying Burgerman's great engineering on his website & prowling the forums for ideas.

Cheers!

-B
vk2aaf

Re: Blue Mountains, Australia scooter user

Postby vk2aaf » 08 Sep 2019, 15:41

Hiya!

:D
vk2aaf

Re: Blue Mountains, Australia scooter user

Postby martin007 » 11 Sep 2019, 21:15

Welcome to the Forum.

Greetings from the old continent. cheers