Electric storm door opener

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Electric storm door opener

Postby slomobile » 06 Jan 2023, 18:02

I am frustrated by my storm doors and want to replace the pneumatic door closer with a remote control electric actuator for both opening and closing.
Rather than put in an electric latch release, I'll get rid of the latch all together, as the actuator will hold the door closed on its own.
So far so good.

But what if the power goes out, something breaks, or I just lose the remote control? Locked out right?
So I'd like to make the mount that holds the actuator onto the inside of the storm door out of some kind of lock and key mechanism with the keyhole on the outside of the door so that I can turn a key to release the actuator from the door and open it manually.
Does that make sense? Anyone know how to accomplish that?

I'm thinking a tubular ball/shaft lock might be the thing. I have a set of bar end helmet locks that might work, but they are more bulky than required. Wanted to hear what y'all think.
slomobile

Re: Electric storm door opener

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jan 2023, 19:21

You may need to do a drawing or some pics so we understand what you mean. I dont get the door thing as pesonally I have no need of powered doors. I just open it with the door handle, drive through, slam it shut from behind the chair as I go through. I am paralised from nipples down. T4, so no trunk control. But as you see here, no trouble with opening or closing a door fast. Even when its opened outwards in a recessed doorway.

Rear drive chair but properly configured CG etc. I drive this way all the time. Never hit a thing in 25 years. This chair is old, weak 80A controller, old crap batteries limit its response. It feels soggy/vague compared to my fresher chairs. I am 20 stone. 62. I do 6mph+ through doorways on 2 wheels every day. This is normal for me. You cannot do this in any front drive chair. Theyjust dont have the level of control required.

https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/control.mp4
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jan 2023, 23:53

Pics?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 07 Jan 2023, 00:58

Had to go diggin in old bike parts. The helmet locks are much bigger than I remembered. Completely unsuitable, but they show how the tapered pin goes in the center and pushes the 2 balls out to lock the knob on the end of the shaft. A shorter locking bolt would be used to hold on a bracket which replaces the brown one on the left.
Normally, its just a bolt that goes all the way through the door. But presents a keyhole to the outside to remove the larger knob part so the cylinder can be disconnected from the door.
https://photos.google.com/u/2/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipPQgQywbnjy8Ku7c5Hq0jW5Il7-gczDATKBDkSt
https://photos.google.com/u/2/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipPgfl5L9cJTiYR-3lqkS8nfYWTlR59xFvbfAoII

I have 3ft ramps leading to my doors so I am tilted away from the door handle, plus I am reclined to start with. That could be why I have trouble reaching and banging casters with the door.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jan 2023, 05:08

Wants me to sign up to some data grabbing advertising company!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 07 Jan 2023, 17:52

You know there are server side processes that will automatically shrink submitted photos to an acceptable size for the site.

Instead, I need to lookup your max acceptable size, go out to that very same advertising company to search for a different website to upload my photos to, log in to that strange random place, download the resized images, then upload to your site. By which time my login on your site has timed out and the post I wrote disappeared. Your site would have more images if the process were easier. The pictures are there. Figure it out or dont. Solving the mechanical problem is easier for me than putting a photo on your site.
slomobile

Postby LROBBINS » 07 Jan 2023, 18:22

I use IrfanView to adjust images and save the modified image as a local file. It's then easy to upload it here or elsewhere. I'm sure there are also other image manipulation programs out there, but IrfanView is free and very flexible.
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jan 2023, 19:53

I dont search using an advertising/tracking company either!
I mean why would you?
I use https://duckduckgo.com/

And theres many image hosting sites that dont require logins etc. But uploading here is easy. Theres already 14GB of images...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 08 Jan 2023, 03:51

I'd like to do the conversion locally but I'm on a chromebook with no storage left, or a phone who's screen I cant read. I 'm trying to find a laptop that will work as a large screen high contrast phone like every one could do in the 90's with a modem. But apparently they wont do that any more. Anyway, the situation will improve once I have a real computer again.

I would prefer duck duck go but they will not let you exclude terms. So if I'm looking for something obscure with a common wrong result, I cant exclude the wrong results.
https://www.reddit.com/r/duckduckgo/com ... uckduckgo/
slomobile

Postby slomobile » 08 Jan 2023, 04:36

slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 08 Jan 2023, 09:12

They do. Not sure they help much though. Just actuators/dampers.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything