Living and learning

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Living and learning

Postby martin007 » 01 May 2023, 18:12

ty.png

> https://www.ebay.es/itm/302579206200?ha ... OSwxzdaQmF

What are these spikes called?
I had never seen anything like it.
Those bits aren't TORX...
martin007

Re: Living and learning

Postby Burgerman » 01 May 2023, 18:27

Yes they are. But like "ball ended" allen keys they work at an angle.
Attachments
apiiakt1e__65379.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 01 May 2023, 18:29

OK.
I understand.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 01 May 2023, 20:28

They are useful if like me you are building things like quadcopters RC buggies etc or anything where you cannot get a straight 180 degree access to a screw/bolt. Esp where you are using longer screwdriver handles or an impact driver as I do all the time. Same with the allen ones. Weaker ultimately, but much easier at an angle!

I use some 100mm long ones in my impact driver. Wih rounded ends.
Attachments
prod_21005796012.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 01 May 2023, 20:34

Makes taking stuff apart fast and effortless. Bolts out in seconds even if theres lots of them. Used it yesterday to take 12 rim bolts out of 2 wheels in a few secs to swap tyres.

Also to remove both sets of wheel mounting nuts. Or lugs as the amricans incorrectly call them! :shh:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 01 May 2023, 20:55

Burgerman wrote:They are useful if like me you are building things like quadcopters RC buggies etc or anything where you cannot get a straight 180 degree access to a screw/bolt. Esp where you are using longer screwdriver handles or an impact driver as I do all the time. Same with the allen ones. Weaker ultimately, but much easier at an angle!

I use some 100mm long ones in my impact driver. Wih rounded ends.

Without 180º access, the screws run the risk of deteriorating.
In the long term it will be necessary to change the screws...
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 01 May 2023, 21:33

Depends how tight they are! But yes. Mechanically weaker.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 01 May 2023, 22:59

OK.
TORX bits specially designed for hard-to-reach screws.
Now I know one more thing.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 02 May 2023, 09:16

Learning about stuff, any info is much more useful than this one simple fact. Because KNOWLEDGE about anything, even tools, all fits into a big jigsaw about how the world works. A huge sparsely populated framework. Every time a new bit of the (jigsaw?) puzzle is added it may have made the bigger picture clearer. One extra bit may be the bit that was needed to allow you to see what that big picture is. It also may allow you to put the facts together in 10 ways that you couldnt before. Its a bit like a snowball rolling down a hill getting bigger and adding more snow faster and faster as it rolls.

I am like a sponge. I love knowledge. I would rather learn stuff than say watch a movie or sit and drink coffee. The more you understand the more you understand how little you really know about the whole! And how complex stuff you thought was simple and "obvious" actually is. How everything is connected.

If I ever come across something that I dot understand and cant find out I will buy it and dismantle, or do something to find out how. I cant help it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 02 May 2023, 22:38

"Knowledge will set you free."
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 03 May 2023, 11:47

It literally changes your life.
It allows you to make better life choices from an early time. That snowballs later in life and you end up in a better postion, better off financially, better able to meet and "fix" problems, better able to plan your future etc. Better able to choose the right things, correct choices. The ability to repair or maintain or NOT DAMAGE everything as you go.

Even little things. My neibour bought a petrol mower about 5 years ago. I bought one identical at the same time almost within a week because my automower shaun died. It was decentish and cheap. Mine still looks brand new and got an oil change and a polish and a spray of oil a week ago as it always has a few times a year. It was always cleaned off underneath with a hose pipe after use.
My neibours one has rotted away, rusted through. And is hard to get started and smokes badly. Its now outside awaiting disposal. He obviously didnt understand the importance of cleaning it down or servicing it. Now he has to buy another. He scratched his head and looked confused when he looked at mine.

Its not just the mower. Its everything. Your kitchen and bathroom, your car. Your finances and all life choices. Everything.

Knowledge is power. Even a little!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything