Back Problems

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Back Problems

Postby martin007 » 05 Aug 2023, 23:47

Back problems and pressure ulcers are usually common for wheelchair users.
I have been a wheelchair user (full-time) for over a decade.
I don't have those drawbacks yet.

And you?
martin007

Re: Back Problems

Postby Burgerman » 05 Aug 2023, 23:55

Well I do have back problems. Thats why I use a chair. And pressure sores over the years many.

I am paralised from T4 (chest) down. And many other issues and metalwork!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 06 Aug 2023, 00:00

When I say back problems I mean scoliosis and the like.
Scoliosis result of sitting for a long time.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 06 Aug 2023, 09:36

Wouldnt know. I can only feel weird pain that is not technically "real". Sat or otherwise 24/7 and spasm and muscle tension which feels like an electric shock every time I move. Anything...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 06 Aug 2023, 18:44

Here's what the Mayo Clinic says about the causes of scoliosis:
Health care providers don't know what causes the most common type of scoliosis — although it appears to involve hereditary factors, because the disorder sometimes runs in families. Less common types of scoliosis may be caused by: Certain neuromuscular conditions, such as cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy.May 13, 2023

And here's what NHS Scotland says:
In most cases, the cause of scoliosis is unknown and it cannot usually be prevented. It is not thought to be linked with things such as bad posture, exercise or diet. If the cause of scoliosis is unknown, it is called idiopathic scoliosis. About eight out of every 10 cases of scoliosis are idiopathic.Jun 13, 2023
LROBBINS

Postby martin007 » 06 Aug 2023, 19:01

And here's what NHS Scotland says:
In most cases, the cause of scoliosis is unknown and it cannot usually be prevented. It is not thought to be linked with things such as bad posture, exercise or diet. If the cause of scoliosis is unknown, it is called idiopathic scoliosis. About eight out of every 10 cases of scoliosis are idiopathic.Jun 13, 2023

That information is very recent.
Hopefully it's not related to bad posture...
I'm carrying enough cargo already.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 07 Aug 2023, 12:38

The vast majority of issues relating to heath and wheelchairs tends to be those that end up refusing to use a powerchair. They get brainwashed by the system and see it as "lowering themselves" or that they dont "need" a powerchair. These people are the majority of those in my spinal injuries unit for e.g.

Guess what the biggest problems are? Shoulder (cuff rotator?) problems. Elbow problems. Wrist problems. The spinal unit has a ward full of these people. They all claim that a manual chair is good for their health. The excercise... Right. Except its the wrong TYPE of excercise. The next most common is pressure sores. And that relates to all wheelchair users - at least those that cannot feel - and is a pressure issue. This is neither manual or power wheelchair specific. Some say a manual chair means better circulation. The figures show they get less sores. But not by much. And they tend to be more mobile as a group anyway. The least mobile, tetraplegics etc get the most sores. But in a powerchair that can be helped by tilt/recline/leg lift every 15 mins to every few hours depending in circumstance.

Of course many are already suffering back problems from injury, fusions, etc anyway so its hard to see if this is made worse by a wheelchair. But I suspect that recline/tilt every now and again gives a huge reprieve from the weight going through your spine. And allows it to rest a while. Again this is possible much more easily on a powerchair.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 25 Nov 2023, 11:13

Back problems are among my earliest memories around age 4. Being curled up on the floor in the back of the car trying to avoid light and deal with the searing pain in back, neck and head. Incorrectly diagnosed as Ankylosing Spondylitis at age 15. Still unknown cause at 50+, but current testing is trying to rule out stiff person syndrome, transverse myelitis, MS, and Parkinsons. Complicated by failed lumbar and neck surgeries removing bony stenosis. At least 1 doctor thinks it may be related to my father's exposure to agent orange on a river minesweeper in Vietnam.

The best relief I ever got was a 10,000 mile 30 day ride laying on the tank and rear pegs of a Ducati ST2 (2 1500 mile days). Followed by floating in saltwater, and using my prone chair. I firmly believe that some spine problems would be mitigated if we could get over trying to sit and stand "normally" vertical, and occasionally take a more horizontal position, bearing weight on feet/legs/hips, and belly/chest/shoulders, but not vertically through the spine.

Since using my prone chair for about a year now, my back MRI did not get worse for the first time ever. I'm calling that a win.

Recently my prone chair chest cushion tore, so instead I took my backup normal M3 to an all day robot competition. Unusually for me I didn't feel pain. But I also didn't feel 80% of anything below my neck and have had persistent tremors and weakness ever since. Back problems suck.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 02 Dec 2023, 10:39

Weight matters too. And the Initial seat dump setting. My chairs are around 8 degrees when "flat".
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything