A book recommendation

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

A book recommendation

Postby LROBBINS » 06 Dec 2023, 10:52

The last couple days Rachi and I have been reading "Out Of My Mind" by Sharon M. Draper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_My_Mind_(novel)
and even though we're only up to p. 45 and are reading it in the Italian translation (for those in Italy, published by Mondadori), I recommend it without reservation. It's portrayal of Melody is pretty close to Rachi's reality, but even more on the mark is the portrayal of the various "experts" (a.k.a. idiots) who think they know what she's like.

Dr. Hugely, for example, is an exact replica of the pediatric neurologist who "evaluated" Rachi during her first months. And refused to write a prescription for a switch so Rachi could interact with toys - - because she would never be able to understand what it was for. (Of course, I just went ahead and made several switches for her.) Now, if I could only get people like the anesthetist who a few weeks ago refused to let Rachi give HER informed consent (because, not having even tried, she was sure Rachi couldn't understand her - thanks to that we had to go to court to have Ellen named Amministratore di Sostegno), Rachi's world and ours might be a better place.

Ciao,
Lenny
LROBBINS

Re: A book recommendation

Postby LROBBINS » 06 Dec 2023, 10:58

A couple additions.

(1) Rachi has read what I've what I wrote and agrees with it.

(2) BTW, the judge who name Ellen Amministratore di Sostegno had, after a couple minutes, no trouble at all understanding Rachi's gestures that she used to answer his questions. We showed him what they were for first couple questions, and from there he just took over. Some people GET IT and some people don't and probably never will.
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 06 Dec 2023, 11:07

Its more likely that they dont want to, because it makes them uncomfortable in some way than they cant. So they make nonsense excuses. Judging by the book, this idiot expert syndrome must be very common!

I have it all coming up any day now. The wheelchair services women who are completely clueless, are going to assess me and order a chair. Thats going to be hilarious. I have told them already not to send some hopeless numpty. As I will be wanting to know all the details, and the WHYs as to what they "recommend"...

It will not be quick.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 06 Dec 2023, 20:04

Burgerman wrote:this idiot expert syndrome must be very common!

And it's spread all over the world.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 08 Dec 2023, 17:50

https://www.readanybook.com/online/575875

The book.

Dont click download.
Read for free, click the righ arrow for next page. Its good.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything