Windows laptops

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Windows laptops

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jan 2024, 12:22

I have had a bunch of other peoples laptops here to "sort out" with various issues from relatives, carers, freinds and so on over the last few months.

I am absolutely amazed at how unbelievably crap they all were.
Problem 1.
Some had old fashioned mechanical drives. So slow to load windows or anything else that I literally COULDNT use them. I forgot what I was attempting to do and fell asleep at times. Those are worthless. One of these was just a year old.

Problem 2.
They didnt have enough memory. The majority had 2 to 4GB ram. Thats OK to make windows boot once you "fix" it so its usable. But thats about it. You cant for e.g use the thing to edit a photo. Because a decent photo editing program or raw editor uses up all the memory. And then starts trying to use the hard disk thats too slow to catch a cold. So again unusable.

Problem 3.
SLOW single or dual core CPUs like the terrible ATOM or celerons.

Problem 4.
Windows 8. banghead or windows 10 in noddy bedroom mode where its also unusable. And then about 30 unwanted "bundled" junk programs and the manufacturers own junk be it from dell or acer or whatever.

The operating systems are spending around half the time doing updates, running shit in the background or trying to get you to sign in to one thing or another. Or to sign up to pay versions of everything.

The result of all this, is that NON of these laptops and some were pretty new had actually had any real use. No work or anything useful on them. And as such were basically abandoned.

It should be illegal to sell laptops like this list above. It takes advantage of the gullible ignorant masses. These things were literally all junk. Not usable in any sane way. You could and I did waste hours and hours just trying to clean up the mess. But its so slow that even this gets to be impossible.

So I now have a rule.
Anything with an old hard disk or no SSD of 256GB or above goes straight in the bin.
Anything with less than 8GB ram, bin...
Anything that has less than a fast 2 core or decent 4 core, CPU goes in the bin.
No anything will be kept as far as software is concerned, and I will put a clone of my own PC on it instead with everything properly setup which means LTSC, Adobe everything, Corel everything, DXO everything, and about 100 utilities etc all at once. All latest stuff. And no phoning home, asking to update, buy nags, or anything else. And no ads anywhere!

Seriously these slow laptops, and junk operating systems and preloaded junk trial software etc should all be illegal to sell. Most of them are little better than doorstops. The real reason of course is that if it LOOKS like a pretty laptop, and the price is cheap, a few hundred, people think it is one. When you show them a 2k or more price ticket for a decent one, they are horrified. So they buy completely unusable junk. Needs some kind of regulation.

The difference between my own laptops and all the ones I see that most people are trying to use is enormous.
Mine just boot fast and then go silent. Programs and web browsers are all pretty much instant. Never any ads, pop ups, or anything demanding attention or updates or safety warnings or nags, or anything else. They do only what I ask them to do. And I am never asked to log onto, into, or buy any software or subscriptions or anything else. No nags of any kind. No autorun and no background stuff that isnt wanted.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Windows laptops

Postby biscuit » 21 Jan 2024, 19:15

Great post. My computer is about like those ones you got to fix up. My hardware is not fit for a decent system. I have a budget for a new computer, but I am thinking whether dining out / shiny artworks / smart clothes instead might give me a happier year, while my current machine does its thing in the garage with chargers and controllers.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jan 2024, 21:41

Well thats your choice!
My carer just did it again. Bought a 100 quid google spy. I mean another hopeless chromebook...
Next will be the can I do this? Or that? Can I have a copy of office... Etc. And no. It wont run it or work anyway. Cannot tell him. It LOOKS like a computer...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Arima » 26 Jan 2024, 03:35

My Windows\Users folder is 69GB...Windows\Users\Downloads is 45GB. Guess I am a pack rat who keeps everything forever.
Thxs
Arima

Postby Burgerman » 26 Jan 2024, 11:56

So you should.
I have work, and lots of data going back to the early 90s before windows.
I have approx 2TB of software including all the best/latest stuff if its worth having, photos going back to around 1995 which is around 3TB to add to that, Another bunch of backups, and different operating systems on seperate drives stored in vans, garage, and on my programmer freinds PC (we do huge backups on each others computers in case of theft, fire etc). I am not sure how much 1s and zeros in total. But my 2 laptops both have 4TB drives, and extra 2TB drives as well

My desktop has 2x 2TB boot disks (clones) and 2x 4TB SSDs for storage. All this stuff is very well organisesd and quite full. But as it grows SSDs and NVMe drives all get bigger! So its always possible. Drive space is cheap. At least if you buy it on many seperate occasions over time. I dont own any old mechanics hard drives any more. Those things are way too slow and very unreliable.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything