Anti-bedsore cushion

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Anti-bedsore cushion

Postby martin007 » 20 Mar 2024, 19:35

There are many manufactures and types of anti-bedsore cushions on the market.

* Anatomical anti-bedsore cushion
* Fluid gel anti-bedsore cushion
* Viscoelastic anti-bedsore cushion
* Anti-bedsore cushion of two foams.
* Anatomical viscoelastic anti-bedsore cushion
* Anti-bedsore air cushion.

Experiences and opinions about it.
martin007

Re: Anti-bedsore cushion

Postby Burgerman » 20 Mar 2024, 20:41

Sores are really pressure ulcers. So that means that you are looking for a surface that offers the least peak pressures that stop the blood circulating over the highest pressure points. Thats hip bones, coxccx (yes I can spell that!) heels, etc.

The way to get the lowest peak pressures is to have the most "immersion" into the surface. And the surface having the lowest possible pressure gradiant. So that means air or water. And it means at a low enough pressure that you sit/lay in it not on it. So that you have the largest body area possible supporting your mass. So a waterbed works great. A foam mattress can be good, but on foam the deeper you push into it the harder the foam fights back. So it takes twice the force to push your finger twice as far into it. That doesent happen with water. Or air. UNLESS the bed isnt deep enough.

So even foam can work, if its a really soft foam and the matress is a meter thick.

So thats impractical... Air water or 1m thick foam are not really practical... So then we get 1001 tricks to make a "pressure mattress". Which is what you see.

I have an occilating / alternating air bed. That works. But permanantly beeping at me when it fails every 2 months.
I tried the rest they dont work.
Heat (lack of) and airflow also help.

So make of this what you will.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 20 Mar 2024, 20:43

Unless you are talking about wheelchair cushions in which case the same applies. And I use a roho at the moment. Lots of small, soft very low pressure air cells.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 20 Mar 2024, 21:11

Burgerman wrote:Unless you are talking about wheelchair cushions in which case the same applies.

Yes.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 20 Mar 2024, 21:27

Well same thing. The deeper the immersion. The lower the pressure gradient. The lesser the peak pressure is. So no stopping the circulation in the skin covering bones such as the ischial tuberosities. And coxccyx. That circulation brings oxygen, keeps the flesh under the skin alive. Hence tilt/recline etc to periodically remove pressure and put most of your mass on your back for a bit every 20 mins.
Attachments
36660e77bd9c7d01551b377dd29cd44a.jpg
Ischial-Tuberosity-Syndrome-Pain-Pictures-Treatment-1896857981.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 20 Mar 2024, 21:59

My ass is fine.
I'm just trying to gather information.
martin007

Postby daveonwheels » 21 Mar 2024, 03:36

Burgerman wrote:Sores are really pressure ulcers. So that means that you are looking for a surface that offers the least peak pressures that stop the blood circulating over the highest pressure points. Thats hip bones, coxccx (yes I can spell that!) heels, etc.

The way to get the lowest peak pressures is to have the most "immersion" into the surface. And the surface having the lowest possible pressure gradiant. So that means air or water. And it means at a low enough pressure that you sit/lay in it not on it. So that you have the largest body area possible supporting your mass. So a waterbed works great. A foam mattress can be good, but on foam the deeper you push into it the harder the foam fights back. So it takes twice the force to push your finger twice as far into it. That doesent happen with water. Or air. UNLESS the bed isnt deep enough.

So even foam can work, if its a really soft foam and the matress is a meter thick.

So thats impractical... Air water or 1m thick foam are not really practical... So then we get 1001 tricks to make a "pressure mattress". Which is what you see.

I have an occilating / alternating air bed. That works. But permanantly beeping at me when it fails every 2 months.
I tried the rest they dont work.
Heat (lack of) and airflow also help.

So make of this what you will.

it's coccyx
daveonwheels

Postby Burgerman » 21 Mar 2024, 03:47

Yes I know when I see it. Then next time i cant remember again! :clap
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Arima » 22 Mar 2024, 20:08