Just out of curiosity?????

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Just out of curiosity?????

Postby SusieG » 14 Aug 2012, 09:27

I understand from all the research i've done on google re the Travelscoot and the lithium batteries it uses, that there are certain restrictions re carrying batteries onboard an aeroplane. I understand it is all to do with safety on board and I have no problem understanding why this is. However, I've been looking at ordering a spare battery for my travelscoot from Ping in China, as apparently Ping is one of the best and cheapest places to obtain these batteries from. When I read the reviews about the batteries and the company, it looks like they export their batteries all over the world. I'm therefore, somewhat puzzled and confused as to how they can ship these batteries by air to other countries????? If batteries are potentially dangerous to carry onboard an aircraft how come this is possible?????

I promise you I'm not thick but I do need things to be simple to comprehend! :lol:

Sue
SusieG

Re: Just out of curiosity?????

Postby ex-Gooserider » 14 Aug 2012, 09:49

SusieG wrote:I understand from all the research i've done on google re the Travelscoot and the lithium batteries it uses, that there are certain restrictions re carrying batteries onboard an aeroplane. I understand it is all to do with safety on board and I have no problem understanding why this is. However, I've been looking at ordering a spare battery for my travelscoot from Ping in China, as apparently Ping is one of the best and cheapest places to obtain these batteries from. When I read the reviews about the batteries and the company, it looks like they export their batteries all over the world. I'm therefore, somewhat puzzled and confused as to how they can ship these batteries by air to other countries????? If batteries are potentially dangerous to carry onboard an aircraft how come this is possible?????

I promise you I'm not thick but I do need things to be simple to comprehend! :lol:

Sue

First off, there have been some recent changes in the airline regs - at least LiPO4 type batteries are now allowed in mobility devices on passenger flights - make sure anything you are looking at reflects the current rule status.

Secondly, shipping batteries is different from carrying them as personal baggage... To start with, they are only allowed to ship them on cargo flights, not passenger flights, so different rules apply. In addition there are very stringent requirements for packaging, marking, and so on that makes the shipments quite resistant to damage - this is a sort of control that is harder to ensure when dealing with individual people and their baggage...

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Postby SusieG » 14 Aug 2012, 10:09

Thanks Gooserider! :-)

Sue
SusieG

Postby LROBBINS » 14 Aug 2012, 11:25

I'll just add one thing. The new, more permissive, airline rules apply to LiFePO4 IN a mobility device. They DO NOT apply to spare batteries not mounted in the device. There's a post somewhere on these boards that has a link to the new regs. Ciao, Lenny
LROBBINS

Return to Anything