Disabled boat drive controls

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Disabled boat drive controls

Postby JohnnyHaigh » 16 Oct 2012, 12:20

Hello all at WCD,

I hope you can help me with a boat project designed to allow wheelchair users to drive a small boat. The ABLE scheme through Kirklees council (Yorkshire) has granted a local company (green future building) planning to dig a fishing lake with specific design features to allow full wheelchair access.

I am involved with green future building through our local college and I am a keen angler who has fished with wheelchair users from a boat. Generally, reduced mobility makes it difficult for a wheelchair user in a small boat to operate an outboard and as my pal Steve says he would love to drive the boat. This compined with the local building project sparked an idea to tackle the problem and offer some ideas for an electric drive system that can be operated via a joystick or simillar.

I stumbled on this website whilst looking for a high ampage dual motor controller with digital imputs. The roboteQ HDC2450 is ideal for this application. (those custom high performance wheelchairs are a superb bit of kit)

My question is where can I get this hardware in the U.K? As I understand RoboteQ is an American company.

Kind Regards
Johnny Haigh
JohnnyHaigh

Re: Disabled boat drive controls

Postby Burgerman » 16 Oct 2012, 15:58

Hi, I bought mine in the US. Cheaper, once I fought the customs to get the VAT back they stole...

But you are going to struggle powering a boat with batteries. I know a few people that tried this. It eats batteries like you wouldnt believe. I suppose if you go slowly and use a lot of lead batteries. Many Ah needed.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Disabled boat drive controls

Postby Fulliautomatix » 18 Oct 2012, 07:59

JohnnyHaigh wrote:Generally, reduced mobility makes it difficult for a wheelchair user in a small boat to operate an outboard and as my pal Steve says he would love to drive the boat. This compined with the local building project sparked an idea to tackle the problem and offer some ideas for an electric drive system that can be operated via a joystick or simillar.

Presumably he means "operate the outboard using a joystick - and an electric drive system".
Although a standard console wheel/throttle system would suit a para and many quads...I suppose it might be too heavy to operate for some.
Attachments
255458_10151342613899202_59579756_n.jpg
255458_10151342613899202_59579756_n.jpg (58.07 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
Fulliautomatix

Return to Anything