Disability in the movie Avatar

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Disability in the movie Avatar

Postby adrianneleigh » 04 Sep 2010, 19:34

Have any of you seen James Cameron's "Avatar"? How do you feel about the portrayal of disability in this movie?

I'll keep my opinions to myself until I read some of yours! :?
adrianneleigh

Re: Disability in the movie Avatar

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2010, 20:25

Well all that imaginary arty fart fantasy stuff doesent do much for me so I didnt watch it. Real sci Fi is a different matter. So I cant help!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby JoeC » 04 Sep 2010, 20:43

Ok, I tend to agree that most movies labeled "sci fi" really aren't, so now I'm interested! What's the last good movie you saw that you'd consider real sci-fi?
JoeC

Postby JoeC » 04 Sep 2010, 20:55

Oh, and my two cents on disability in Avatar? I thought it was as realistic as anything else in the movie. It was a useful part of the movie to describe the story's universe, to show that although this society is fully able to repair spinal cord injuries, they instead spend their resources doing things like flying across space to mine minerals. If there's a political statement to be gleaned from this, I don't think it has anything specifically to do with disability.
JoeC

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2010, 21:21

Blade runner, Matrix 1, Forbidden Planet, Dark City... Even Dr Who...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby 2senile » 05 Sep 2010, 22:22

Didn't watch it.
Last movie of any kind I saw at the Cinema was Stargate. Enjoyable.

As for other Sc-Fi, Dr who, been watching since the beginning with a gap in the Pertwee years, Darkstar (very funny), Forbidden Planet, ...... I suppose some of the other classic '50s stuff like Them & The day the Earth stood still. Used to be a prolific reader of Sc-Fi & Fantasy so I generally found the Movies to be slightly disappointing. Even the best special effects can't match imagination.
2senile

Postby Pete » 06 Sep 2010, 01:47

adrianneleigh wrote:Have any of you seen James Cameron's "Avatar"? How do you feel about the portrayal of disability in this movie?

I'll keep my opinions to myself until I read some of yours! :?

While I'm no expert on SCI, I thought the portrayal was reasonably good. That's not to say I thought much of the movie itself, like most Hollywood blockbuster style movies, once you strip away the special effects the story that's left is usually fairly thin and tends to follow a set formula.I thought Aussie actor Sam Worthington did a reasonably good job considering how thin the storyline was.
Pete

Postby Lord Chatterley » 06 Sep 2010, 04:15

Didn't really notice the disability stuff - I was more interested in trying to contain my disgust with the eco-insanity and Noble-Savage twaddle.
One of the most virulently anti-American an anti-business movies I've endured - Cameron is a half-wit.

Now - from the ridiculous to the sublime - Firefly is definitely worth watching and -Serenity - the movie based on the series was rightly voted by Jonathan Ross' Film Night viewers as the best movie of that year.

Bladerunner tops my list of favourite movies of all time.
Lord Chatterley

Postby Burgerman » 06 Sep 2010, 08:31

Having downloaded and watched half of it I have to say I was right not to pay to see it. And I agree with Lord Chatterly...

Having said that I also hate jonathon ross... :lol:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Lord Chatterley » 09 Sep 2010, 18:51

Serenity is worth a look though - great shame the series was canceled.

But don't forget - Halo Reach comes out on the XBox 14th Sept. !!!!! :ugeek:
Lord Chatterley

Postby adrianneleigh » 17 Sep 2010, 15:48

I just realized I never even answered my own question! GEODES' fundraiser and upcoming contributor meeting is taking up all my time!

Anyway. I wonder if James Cameron has any experience with disability, at all. The portrayal of having an SCI was done beautifully by the actor (although, I wish they had used an actor who actually had an SCI, but that's a whole other rant). My WHOLE issue with the portrayal of disability in Avatar is that the answer to the question, "is there anything in this life worth living for despite having a disability?" was assumed to be "no." The question wasn't even addressed! Of course someone who had to use a wheelchair would become another species to avoid being stuck with a disability!

What?! Why was the character written as having an SCI in the first place?! It didn't add anything to the movie or the character except allowing the audience to empathize with his appreciation with having abilities in his avatar that he had lost in real life. If he had had an injury that temporarily disabled him, that empathy would still be there, but the question couldn't have been so blatantly ignored!

There aren't that many (are there any?) blockbuster movies out there portraying disability, and when there is one, the disabled community is being represented in an inaccurate way. It's no wonder that so many able-bodied people feel pity for me! In their minds, I would rather be a different species, on a different planet, than be stuck in my wheelchair on this planet! Like, there's nothing here for me, and I'm just waiting to die.

So, in my opinion, Avatar was an offensive movie, not only because my mass-media representation is depressing and biased, but also because it was another movie where the "white man" comes in and saves the "savage natives" (again, whole 'nother rant).

Rawr!
adrianneleigh

Postby 2senile » 17 Sep 2010, 22:50

I wish I was more articulate!

It's no wonder that so many able-bodied people feel pity for me! In their minds, I would rather be a different species, on a different planet, than be stuck in my wheelchair on this planet! Like, there's nothing here for me, and I'm just waiting to die.

I'm sure many "able-bodied" people would rather be a different species, on a different planet. Something with wings, able to run at 60mph, laser vision, x-ray vision, 15 "mates" (& the ability to "mate" 30 times a night), 350yr lifespan etc sounds fairly appealing. ;) :lol:

As I posted earlier, I did not see the movie but I'm getting the impression from your post that disability was written/portrayed based on some ignorant able-bodied persons stereotype of the disabled?

I vaguely recall a TV series called Ironside (1970s?), American detective who is shot (SCI) & ends up in a wheelchair, which I suppose was "positive" in that it attempted to show that life went on. Had a few assistants who did the leg work.

I never thought about the portrayal of disability, in movies or other media, before your post & I'm a little surprised that Ironside is the only mass media effort I can dredge up from memory. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as mass media seems to prefer casting the "beautiful people" in leading roles. I'm now wondering which "pretty-boy" they will cast in the role of Stephen Hawking when they decide to do a movie of his life story.

I wonder if James Cameron has any experience with disability

I would have assumed that, as with war movies having military advisers to aid in the accurate portrayal of military aspects of the film, disability experts would have been consulted. Maybe reality didn't work with the story? .... or they got Burgerman's OT? :lol:

..... ...answer to the question, "is there anything in this life worth living for despite having a disability?" was assumed to be "no."

Hmnnn? Can you expand on this "was assumed to be "no""?
How was the character portrayed (with his disability) in the beginning? A suicidal depressed wimp/pussy, burnt out average guy slogging his way through each day or as a get up & go party animal?
2senile

Postby Pete » 18 Sep 2010, 04:03

What?! Why was the character written as having an SCI in the first place?! It didn't add anything to the movie or the character except allowing the audience to empathise with his appreciation with having abilities in his avatar that he had lost in real life.

well from what I remember about the movie. The avatar (blue dude) had to be specifically genetically engineered to match the person controlling it. This was done for the guy in the wheelchairs brother, however, his brother was, I think, killed. The only reason the guy in the chair was given the job of controlling the avatar was because he was a genetic match.

I'd say the character was written to be disabled, as it gave him less reason to want to remain human in a human body so it wasn't such a huge decision to have his consciousness transferred over to his avatar at the end of the movie.
Pete

Postby 2senile » 18 Sep 2010, 21:48

Pete wrote:
I'd say the character was written to be disabled, as it gave him less reason to want to remain human in a human body so it wasn't such a huge decision to have his consciousness transferred over to his avatar at the end of the movie.

So, the character was a sad pussy with no friends, family or anybody he loved or who loved him in the human world & therefore nobody to miss him or be hurt by his decision to leave them.
2senile

Postby Burgerman » 18 Sep 2010, 22:11

After years of TV and watching all the triviality, and the endless "star" worship, etc I decided this year to get rid of it. There is no or very few programes that are not "panel shows" or "comedy panel entertainment" or soaps, or other rubbish. Or repeats, or movies as bad as all the last 5 years or so. There is nothing worth wasting my time on.

Even the news is nothing more than a small bunch of dumbed down 3 minute sessions, repeated ad nauseum over and over, and they think that football is sport, and that shouldnt even be on the news. They plan the news and 99 percent of tv for the most bums on seats (the dim average masses) in a way to maximise ad revenue. Hence pop stars,and football all over the news, sport rtc. Rather than real news, science news, etc. Theres no shortage of "real" news but it doesent interest the council estate dole que tv watcher.

I washed my hands of it. And I dont miss the wasted time, ultra loud adverts for much of the time (I forget what repeat I was watching), or endless pushing of overpaid (idiot) "stars" that I really dont care about or like... Its all aimed so low, is so trivial that its all a waste of my time.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby adrianneleigh » 18 Sep 2010, 22:19

I agree, Pete. But isn't that offensive?! He was in the angry stage of dealing with his injury, and there have been times that I wished I could be a mermaid rather than human. The simple fact that this deeply emotional and important soul searching was ignored in the story allowed the audience - in general - to maintain the stereotypes currently associated with disability (anger, bitterness, unhappiness, loneliness, etc.), and that does a disservice to the disabled community. In that 2 1/2 hour movie, the topic could have been at LEAST glossed over. Could living with a disability be worthwhile? Could it advantageous in some way or another? These were choices the character had to make, and those two questions weren't even asked - by anyone!

So, as a woman with a disability, it's offensive that BECAUSE the character was in a wheelchair, the topic of staying human was disregarded as it was.
adrianneleigh

Postby Pete » 19 Sep 2010, 01:07

2senile wrote:So, the character was a sad pussy with no friends, family or anybody he loved or who loved him in the human world & therefore nobody to miss him or be hurt by his decision to leave them.

As the movie didn't elaborate on the background of the main character, I can't really say whether he was a sad pussy with no friends. The simplistic takeaway story was that he found love and acceptance on the planet with the indigenous people and therefore decided to stay.

The movie was a James Cameron Hollywood blockbuster, they're normally shallow and meaningless by design. To read any more into it beyond the simplistic is just guessing.
Pete

Postby Pete » 19 Sep 2010, 01:14

Burgerman wrote:I washed my hands of it. And I dont miss the wasted time, ultra loud adverts for much of the time (I forget what repeat I was watching), or endless pushing of overpaid (idiot) "stars" that I really dont care about or like... Its all aimed so low, is so trivial that its all a waste of my time.

It's good to know, well actually not good, that television is the same meaningless crap all over the world. Though I have to say you guys in the UK do make good quality intelligent drama, 'Waking the Dead', 'Spooks' et cetera come to mind.
Pete

Postby Pete » 19 Sep 2010, 01:24

adrianneleigh wrote:I agree, Pete. But isn't that offensive?! He was in the angry stage of dealing with his injury, and there have been times that I wished I could be a mermaid rather than human. The simple fact that this deeply emotional and important soul searching was ignored in the story allowed the audience - in general - to maintain the stereotypes currently associated with disability (anger, bitterness, unhappiness, loneliness, etc.), and that does a disservice to the disabled community. In that 2 1/2 hour movie, the topic could have been at LEAST glossed over. Could living with a disability be worthwhile? Could it advantageous in some way or another? These were choices the character had to make, and those two questions weren't even asked - by anyone!

So, as a woman with a disability, it's offensive that BECAUSE the character was in a wheelchair, the topic of staying human was disregarded as it was.

In my opinion, if you want cinema that has a strong narrative and in-depth portrayals of human emotions then you really have to look towards European cinema. Although Hollywood is capable of making movies like that, the fact that the accountants and moneymen have taken over running the movie studios, means it is unlikely you will get anything half intelligent out of Hollywood.

I really think you're reading too much into Avatar. It's basically a simplistic Hollywood popcorn movie. Strip away the special effects and 3-D rubbish and what you have left is a very simplistic shallow three act story that has been retold hundreds of times in various movies over the years.
Pete

Postby adrianneleigh » 19 Sep 2010, 03:25

Pete wrote:The movie was a James Cameron Hollywood blockbuster, they're normally shallow and meaningless by design. To read any more into it beyond the simplistic is just guessing.

Pete wrote:I really think you're reading too much into Avatar. It's basically a simplistic Hollywood popcorn movie. Strip away the special effects and 3-D rubbish and what you have left is a very simplistic shallow three act story that has been retold hundreds of times in various movies over the years.

I absolutely agree! There's a fantastic movie called, "Rory O'Shea Was Here," from Ireland that is my favorite movie of all time!

I know I'm reading too much into Avatar, but because there aren't any blockbusters that reach that many people that address disability, or portray disability, that I feel that it's more important for the films that do portray it, to portray it accurately. If disability were portrayed as often as it actually occurs, I'd be able to accept that Avatar is a shallow movie with a shallow plot. It's basically a modern Pocahontas.
adrianneleigh

Postby Pete » 20 Sep 2010, 01:29

adrianneleigh wrote:If disability were portrayed as often as it actually occurs, I'd be able to accept that Avatar is a shallow movie with a shallow plot. It's basically a modern Pocahontas.

Back when I was writing the previous reply, what came to mind was that Avatar was just 'dances with wolves' without any in-depth character development.
Pete

Postby TwoTeasChris » 20 Sep 2010, 11:26

An old (obviously) repeat of Ironside is on TV at the moment. Is America/San Fransisco really all wheelchair-friendly? (Half-joking.)

(He just used his 3rd and 4th hands to reverse whilst leaning on a cupboard and holding a door handle. lol)
TwoTeasChris

Postby JoeC » 20 Sep 2010, 15:08

Some of San Francisco is not very wheelchair friendly- for some reason they went and built a city in a hill, and some of the sidewalks are so steep that they turn into stairs. They ran cable cars because the horse drawn carts were running out of horses too quickly. If we ever had snow or ice, there would be a mass casualty when all of the cars and people slid straight down the hills and crashed. Many of the houses were built right after the 1906 earthquake, so there are a lot of tiny three-story walk-up apartments with bathrooms too small for even a bath tub.

But for the most part, the surrounding area (and the parts of the city where business happens) is very friendly. All of the buses and trains are easy to get on in a wheelchair. Muni buses have a lift or a ramp, and the driver ties you down. Muni trains have an automatically deploying bridge, but not all stops have access. All BART train stops are accessible, and you just roll on with no assistance needed. Almost every store or restaurant we've been to has had adequate wheelchair access, at least with ramps and space, if not automatic openers.

When we lived in northern New York state, my wife (girlfriend then) had to call two weeks in advance to schedule a special bus to come pick her up from her apartment and take her to work. They gave a three hour window of when they might show up, and they did not call to cancel. They left her stranded at work fifteen miles from home in the dead of winter on more than one Friday night. There were no sidewalks anywhere, and when there were they rarely had curb cuts. The law there is the same here, but apparently they have a very different idea of enforcement compared to the San Francisco bay area.
JoeC

Postby JoeC » 20 Sep 2010, 16:23

I forgot to mention schools. There are still countries where people with disabilities are all segregated into separate schools. I understand that there are even some otherwise highly regarded universities that don't have any wheelchair access. In upstate NY, the private university that my wife attended for a semester only had three accessible classrooms, one accessible dorm room, and many administrative offices were up flights of stairs. Nearly all of the buildings in this school had "historic landmark" status, and were supposedly exempt from the law for that reason.

In California, on the other had, things are much better. People with all manner of physical disabilities are attending our very top universities. That's not to say that everything is roses- there are still obstacles and ignorant people- but you can at least enroll in a class and get into the room. I think that's the bare minimum, and I think that when it doesn't work out, there is usually a way to complain and get things changed.
JoeC

Postby Burgerman » 20 Sep 2010, 17:50

I forgot to mention schools. There are still countries where people with disabilities are all segregated into separate schools.

Same here. They call them "comprehensives" and all the less bright kids that fail the 11 plus go there!

:mrgreen: (Its a joke people dont stress!)
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything