Key Ring Video Cameras... Cheap Fun!

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Re: Key Ring Video Cameras... Cheap Fun!

Postby TwoTeasChris » 22 Mar 2011, 04:44

TwoTeasChris

Postby Burgerman » 22 Mar 2011, 06:38

big slow scale stuff doesent really interest me. I do have jets. And pulse jets. All built to go about 3 times as fast as that one. And staight up like a rocket until it vanishes.

Like this. Not mine but same kind of thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTHWBSluUjU

And much noisier pulse jets too... These can easily be heard 10 miles away, and do not throttle. They are running or they are not... Great fun. I build pulse jet engines. And turbines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e-Ar7gb ... re=related
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby TwoTeasChris » 22 Mar 2011, 15:38

How do you manage to keep control of something that is just a fast moving dot in the sky???
If you sneeze, it's gone. :lol:
TwoTeasChris

Postby Burgerman » 22 Mar 2011, 17:02

They are easy to fly.

Its my electric powered Plyon racers that really move!!! And they are smaller. See here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq22t4Z0_PA

These are litterally a tiny dot doing 200 mph plus, hyper sensitive, and they do EXACTLY what the joystick does, instantly. Most of the flight, (turns, rolls, etc) is in your head. You KNOW how to turn it, you know how it sounds, so you just "do it". One wreong move though and its very very broken! This is why I love thithium batteries! Lead batteries cannot actually be mode to fly without a huge fight. These have no such trouble.

This a a miniature pylon race class. We cant fit more power, use thinner wings, etc as its all regulated and you cannot break the rules... So faster is quite possible.

Could you fly this? The turbines, and pulse jets are easy, because they are bigger. So stay in sight longer.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 22 Mar 2011, 17:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqF9iSdl ... re=related

Another different one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U9N0tYq ... re=related

If you get it wrong it will cut you in half.

About 100 amps continous from a 2.2 ah Lipo Battery! And about 750 watts to 1400 watts from a motor 23mm diameter.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 22 Mar 2011, 17:11

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby TwoTeasChris » 22 Mar 2011, 21:11

Could you fly this?

Nope. I don't think I could control anything but the slowest planes ... after some practice. Two dimensions are plenty enough for me. :P I used to try to make computer games, my name on the forum was Flatlander because of my inability to grasp 3D graphics.

If you get it wrong it will cut you in half.

I'm surprised they are legal. Do you need insurance?

I should imagine that the best place for that sort of thing round here would be Colley Hill, Reigate. I remember seeing slow moving stuff some years ago.
http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Surrey/Reigate/Reigate_&_Colley_Hill/pictures/1035275
It's wheelchair accessible in something like your MK2. Shame it's so far from you.
TwoTeasChris

Postby Burgerman » 22 Mar 2011, 22:15

>>> I'm surprised they are legal. Do you need insurance?

We are back to this again. Like a vehicle that has no type approval cannot be "legal" OR "illegal" since the law cannot decide what it is... It has no legal definition.

So its neither!

Yes insurance is a good idea... Turbine engines rotate at 160,000rpms or more... They let go infrequently but it happens. So you dont lean over one! An inconel hot glowing turbine wheel exploding at 160,000 revs and higher peripheral speeds than a rifle bullet would also cut you in half... Its a fun hobby! And where lots of my engineering abilities comes from over the years.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby TwoTeasChris » 23 Mar 2011, 21:50

Burgerman wrote:...
We are back to this again. Like a vehicle that has no type approval cannot be "legal" OR "illegal" since the law cannot decide what it is... It has no legal definition.

So its neither!

If there's no law making it illegal then it must be legal. ;)

Have you ever lost a plane or totally trashed one?
TwoTeasChris

Postby Burgerman » 23 Mar 2011, 22:49

Yep! Dozens.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby JoeC » 11 Jul 2011, 23:05

Have you looked at anything with first person video from a camera with transmitter sending to a ground station? I'm starting to investigate some of the RC gear for a project I have in mind. I want to use gyros and servos to stabilize a camera on one of the soccer chairs. I'd want the gyros to hold the nominal heading, and then use a joystick from the sideline to correct for slow drift, and/or point and pan the camera in interesting directions.
JoeC

Postby Burgerman » 11 Jul 2011, 23:12

Not really. You would need 3 heading hold gyros, and 3 very fast servos... That will be expensive!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby JoeC » 11 Jul 2011, 23:30

I think that I can get away with two (I hope I can) since the chairs are on a hard, flat, level surface. I have several other ideas to keep it cheap, and increase performance. (hint- mirrors) I'm treating the mechanics of it as the fun part, but if there's already a camera that a lot of people already use for this kind of thing then it would be good to know about it.
JoeC

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2011, 01:55

There may well be. But not that I know about! I just stuck a very low tech key ring cam to a very basic cheap powered glider! And was amazed at the quality if vifeo I got for 5 pounds!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 12 Jul 2011, 05:10

Our local flying field for the RC folks is not terribly far away, we will often see planes flying from there when we are going out to the highway. They do have an interesting incentive not to lose the planes, as the field is just across the street from the County House of Correction - aka Prison... They supposedly take a dim view of people trying to break IN to recover lost planes.... :lol:

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2011, 09:12

Or dropping guns, knives, hacksaws, drugs, cigarettes etc...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 13 Jul 2011, 04:00

Burgerman wrote:Or dropping guns, knives, hacksaws, drugs, cigarettes etc...

Hadn't thought of that angle, though it probably could be done... However I don't know that the inmate would get all that far. It is kind of strange, but in many ways the County prisons are actually tougher than most of the State level prisons... While the folks that get sent to do time in the county houses are usually on short sentences for relatively minor offenses, the county houses also house prisoners awaiting trial for anything up to and including murder and other "high risk" crimes. As such they have to be sure that none of those guys go AWOL, so the security is actually tighter in the county houses than it is in the state "maximums". As one example, the state prisons all allow same room visits, with the expected tight screening of the visitors. The county houses only allow "glass wall" visits where there is a partition keeping the visits and the inmates separated...

The other "interesting" thought I've had is to wonder if any of the UFO types have tried doing one of the cameras on an RC plane over "Area 51" - not sure what the range on one of those planes might be, but if we can do drones over Pakistan, then I'd think a smaller unarmed craft would be just as easy....

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 13 Jul 2011, 12:37

There are RC systems that have huge range. Ten miles is easy. You get a couple of miles with simple over the counter RC systems, if you know what to buy. And those 10 watt, or 30 watt 2.4ghz repeaters fit quite nicely with all the correct cables. Radio link back with a camera is just the same thing in reverse.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 14 Jul 2011, 04:15

Not sure how much range would be needed, other side of the country from me, and I'm not that interested... However from some of the discussion I've seen, there is some pretty good detection and anti-trespass gear being used for quite an area around the actual area itself.

You'd think that someone in power would figure out that there would be a lot less interest in seeing what was there if only they didn't work so hard at trying to keep people out...

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 14 Jul 2011, 09:21

Would have thought that it was about keeping people in, rather than out!

You could have a lot of fun doing RC bombing raids with sweets, hacksaw blades or files...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 15 Jul 2011, 05:41

The keeping people out was in reference to Area 51... Lots of varied claims about it, ranging from secret USAF R&D area to it being the place where the US Gov't has stashed assorted crashed alien spacecraft and dead aliens etc. Some of it is very definitely "Tin Foil Hat" stuff, but it isn't quite clear where to draw the line... However there is definitely a major effort by the gov't to keep people out, arguably using some really high tech surveillance gear... OTOH the local community generates quite a bit of revenue from selling stuff to the UFO fans that keep trying to sneak in...

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Previous

Return to Anything